Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To go or not to go that is the question

To go or not to go that is the question

Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all
Smile To go or not to go that is the question

I have a limited amount of time in which I can go on holiday with the rest of my family to australia. I have on verage 2-3 weeks to lokk round and see what area's I would like to live in. I have heard that the fly problems are worse in Perth as are the spiders and snakes and that there are less of these in places such as Melbourne and Sydney. I really am in a dilema as to where to go seeing as we don't have long there. Any replies from people here or there would be a great help. I need to known what each of the area's Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide etc. are like, what you can do, schools, the native wildlife :scared: and different area's in the suburbs which are good to live in. As you can tell I don't known much about the area's and I need quite a bit of help so any replies would be great

Thanks.
Curls
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To go or not to go that is the question

Originally Posted by Curls
I have a limited amount of time in which I can go on holiday with the rest of my family to australia. I have on verage 2-3 weeks to lokk round and see what area's I would like to live in. I have heard that the fly problems are worse in Perth as are the spiders and snakes and that there are less of these in places such as Melbourne and Sydney. I really am in a dilema as to where to go seeing as we don't have long there. Any replies from people here or there would be a great help. I need to known what each of the area's Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide etc. are like, what you can do, schools, the native wildlife :scared: and different area's in the suburbs which are good to live in. As you can tell I don't known much about the area's and I need quite a bit of help so any replies would be great

Thanks.
Curls

For a start 2-3 weeks will not get you to all cities so you really need to do your homework well before you go. A good start would be a search on here for the various areas. They all have their good and bad areas. All have critters of some description. All have their problems etc etc. And what is ideal for one is sooooo wrong for someone else.

Depends on what YOU want. Make a "wish list" of weather, things to do etc and go from there.

Good luck
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:25 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

We made our choice by researching 1. job prospects/wages 2. house prices/schools 3. climate etc - critters came last cos as prev post said there everywhere. It also comes down to personel expectations and circumstances. BTW we decided on Perth.

Happy hunting.

Sel x
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:39 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

look out a Sydney critter :scared:
Attached Thumbnails To go or not to go that is the question-funnelweb3.jpg  
Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:26 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curls

Thanks.
Curls
Well if flies and spider are the main reason you choose a place to live then may i suggest the antartic... dont think there are many there
Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:56 am
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sel
We made our choice by researching 1. job prospects/wages 2. house prices/schools 3. climate etc - critters came last cos as prev post said there everywhere. It also comes down to personel expectations and circumstances. BTW we decided on Perth.

Happy hunting.

Sel x
Sel

We were looking at Adelaide until now, I may have a job offer in Perth but not done any real research on it.
Can you throw any light on points 2&3 for me ?
Have you decided what area/suburb you like the look of ?

Thanx

J
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all

Originally Posted by possoms
look out a Sydney critter :scared:
I can't stand them! Of course we can't base our lives around the wildlife there people get used to them. i find this very unlikely at the moment but you never know.

ATM we are looking to go to Melbourne, Sydney and Perth shame they're on the opposite sides of Australia! But I can't wait to go no matter where we go.

Thank for all the replies
Curls.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by J+J
Sel

We were looking at Adelaide until now, I may have a job offer in Perth but not done any real research on it.
Can you throw any light on points 2&3 for me ?
Have you decided what area/suburb you like the look of ?

Thanx

J
Hi
We arrived in Adelaide just over two months ago so it's all very new here. May I suggest the adelaidebrits site if you haven't already found it as it has a lot of info about areas to live, etc Together with a lot of very helpful people who will answer questions...
Although I was a teacher in the UK I have no knowledge yet of schools here, although hopefully will next year!!
Best Wishes
Susan
p.s. Climate - warm at the moment, yes it does rain and the flies are a pain in the ...
Apparently it can get really hot here, so we keep being told!!!