British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Glorious Twelfth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/glorious-twelfth-313274/)

smood Jul 11th 2005 2:30 pm

The Glorious Twelfth

Does anyone celebrate in Australia?

Oh and I would also like to take this opportunity to wish any Ulstermen out there a happy 12th day of July.

Bordy Jul 11th 2005 2:59 pm

Re: The Glorious Twelfth

Originally Posted by smood

Oh and I would also like to take this opportunity to wish any Ulstermen out there a happy 12th day of July.

No, afraid its not a big thing in Australia.

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:00 pm

I thought that's what you were referring to as it's on my David Beckham calendar!

Do you get a public holiday in Ireland for it?

fraser Jul 11th 2005 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
I thought that's what you were referring to as it's on my David Beckham calendar!

Do you get a public holiday in Ireland for it?

David Beckham calender, tut, tut.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wu...smiley-015.gif

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by fraser

LOL!

Well I'm not ashamed to admit I LOVE DAVID BECKHAM!

And I dont want him for his brains either!!!! :p

kyliecuteass Jul 11th 2005 3:09 pm

LOL!

Well I'm not ashamed to admit I LOVE DAVID BECKHAM!

And I dont want him for his brains either!!!! :p

LMAO i love him too!!

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by kyliecuteass
LMAO i love him too!!

:D

Three Legs Jul 11th 2005 3:14 pm

Not to mention my birthday...

I will become officially *Middle Aged*...

:(

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Not to mention my birthday...

I will become officially *Middle Aged*...

:(

Happy Birthday in advance then!! :)

Three Legs Jul 11th 2005 3:22 pm

I gratefully accept your good wishes and as a gesture of my appreciation I shall go out and get utterly and completely "shedded".

Happy Birthday in advance then!! :)

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I gratefully accept your good wishes and as a gesture of my appreciation I shall go out and get utterly and completely "shedded".

Good for you! :beer:

snowbunny Jul 11th 2005 4:07 pm

Elaborate please.... my birthday is tomorrow, and what a guy to share it with. :rolleyes:

Ulstermen -- who won what when?

I've a lot of NI friends so I tend to remain extremely neutral on anything political.

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Elaborate please.... my birthday is tomorrow, and what a guy to share it with. :rolleyes:

I've a lot of NI friends so I tend to remain extremely neutral on anything political.

It says on my calendar "Battle of the Boyne, N Ire", no idea what that is all about (sorry, bit ignorant!) but I guess that's what they were referring to...

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 4:34 pm

Some info here http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr...e+of+the+boyne :)

Lord Lionheart Jul 11th 2005 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

It's like a cross between July 4th and Guy Fawkes night for protestants only.
It's a large Protestant celebration in N. Ireland. The protestant king William of Orange( Toon may have heard of him, he was Dutch) defeated the catholic king James at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.
In protestant areas they collect firewood, old sofas, pallets etc. etc for weeks ( they were already collecting when I was in Belfast at the end of May!!) and have a massive bonfire and piss-up on the 11th night( July 11th).
On the 12th the protestant marching bands have parades playing pipes whistles, drums etc. to traditional music which mostly celebrates the Protestants victory, superiority etc. much to the chagrin of their Catholic neighbors. Historically, there has been trouble between the two sides in the build up to celebrations for obvious reasons.