British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Glorious Twelfth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/glorious-twelfth-313274/)

smood Jul 11th 2005 2:30 pm

The Glorious Twelfth

Does anyone celebrate in Australia?

Oh and I would also like to take this opportunity to wish any Ulstermen out there a happy 12th day of July.

Bordy Jul 11th 2005 2:59 pm

Re: The Glorious Twelfth

Originally Posted by smood

Oh and I would also like to take this opportunity to wish any Ulstermen out there a happy 12th day of July.

No, afraid its not a big thing in Australia.

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:00 pm

I thought that's what you were referring to as it's on my David Beckham calendar!

Do you get a public holiday in Ireland for it?

fraser Jul 11th 2005 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
I thought that's what you were referring to as it's on my David Beckham calendar!

David Beckham calender, tut, tut.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wu...smiley-015.gif

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by fraser

LOL!

Well I'm not ashamed to admit I LOVE DAVID BECKHAM!

And I dont want him for his brains either!!!! :p

kyliecuteass Jul 11th 2005 3:09 pm

LOL!

Well I'm not ashamed to admit I LOVE DAVID BECKHAM!

And I dont want him for his brains either!!!! :p

LMAO i love him too!!

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by kyliecuteass
LMAO i love him too!!

:D

Three Legs Jul 11th 2005 3:14 pm

Not to mention my birthday...

I will become officially *Middle Aged*...

:(

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Three Legs

Happy Birthday in advance then!! :)

Three Legs Jul 11th 2005 3:22 pm

I gratefully accept your good wishes and as a gesture of my appreciation I shall go out and get utterly and completely "shedded".

Happy Birthday in advance then!! :)

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 3:27 pm

I gratefully accept your good wishes and as a gesture of my appreciation I shall go out and get utterly and completely "shedded".

Good for you! :beer:

snowbunny Jul 11th 2005 4:07 pm

Elaborate please.... my birthday is tomorrow, and what a guy to share it with. :rolleyes:

Ulstermen -- who won what when?

I've a lot of NI friends so I tend to remain extremely neutral on anything political.

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Elaborate please.... my birthday is tomorrow, and what a guy to share it with. :rolleyes:

I've a lot of NI friends so I tend to remain extremely neutral on anything political.

It says on my calendar "Battle of the Boyne, N Ire", no idea what that is all about (sorry, bit ignorant!) but I guess that's what they were referring to...

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 4:34 pm

Some info here http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr...e+of+the+boyne :)

Lord Lionheart Jul 11th 2005 4:44 pm

It's like a cross between July 4th and Guy Fawkes night for protestants only.
It's a large Protestant celebration in N. Ireland. The protestant king William of Orange( Toon may have heard of him, he was Dutch) defeated the catholic king James at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.
In protestant areas they collect firewood, old sofas, pallets etc. etc for weeks ( they were already collecting when I was in Belfast at the end of May!!) and have a massive bonfire and piss-up on the 11th night( July 11th).
On the 12th the protestant marching bands have parades playing pipes whistles, drums etc. to traditional music which mostly celebrates the Protestants victory, superiority etc. much to the chagrin of their Catholic neighbors. Historically, there has been trouble between the two sides in the build up to celebrations for obvious reasons.

snowbunny Jul 11th 2005 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart
On the 12th the protestant marching bands have parades playing pipes whistles, drums etc. to traditional music which mostly celebrates the Protestants victory, superiority etc. much to the chagrin of their Catholic neighbors. Historically, there has been trouble between the two sides in the build up to celebrations for obvious reasons.

Ah, yes, this is the controversial parade then.

Lucky me, Becks and the Proddys celebrating the same day.

Again not taking religious sides but lording it over the neighbours over a battle fought 300 years ago seems a bit much.

Lord Lionheart Jul 11th 2005 4:58 pm

Ah, yes, this is the controversial parade then.

Lucky me, Becks and the Proddys celebrating the same day.

Again not taking religious sides but lording it over the neighbours over a battle fought 300 years ago seems a bit much.

Yes, usually better not to mention it, especially if you have friends from N. Ireland from both denominations. There may be a pregnant pause in the conversation.......... at the very least.

snowbunny Jul 11th 2005 5:00 pm

Yes, usually better not to mention it, especially if you have friends from N. Ireland from both denominations. There may be a pregnant pause in the conversation.......... at the very least.

They just call themselves Celtics. :) and the times when the IRA was active in Belfast, "the days when no one would play a gig here."

Lord Lionheart Jul 11th 2005 5:02 pm

They just call themselves Celtics. :) and the times when the IRA was active in Belfast, "the days when no one would play a gig here."

They still are active, as are the UDA, they have both just re-focused their efforts to bank robbery, protection rackets and drugs amongst other things.

bridiej Jul 11th 2005 5:07 pm

I dont know, I love any excuse to "lord it up" over the French! :D

snowbunny Jul 11th 2005 5:18 pm

They still are active, as are the UDA, they have both just re-focused their efforts to bank robbery, protection rackets and drugs amongst other things.

Yes, I agree -- I guess I meant during the bombings. There supposedly was a time when McDonald's wouldn't open a restaurant in two cities -- Beirut and Belfast.

snowbunny Jul 11th 2005 5:18 pm

I dont know, I love any excuse to "lord it up" over the French! :D

Ah but that's different! :D

DollyDaydream Jul 11th 2005 5:53 pm

I LOVE DAVID BECKHAM!

Well, someone has to - bless!! ;)

D D

renth Jul 12th 2005 1:00 am

There's no place for sectarianism in Australia, if you are a NI protestant, Catholic, Serb, Bosnian, whatever - welcome to Australia but if you are going to bring your "baggage" with you the airport and your flight home is this way....

Scossie Jul 12th 2005 1:48 am

Originally Posted by renth
There's no place for sectarianism in Australia, if you are a NI protestant, Catholic, Serb, Bosnian, whatever - welcome to Australia but if you are going to bring your "baggage" with you the airport and your flight home is this way....

Yup Renth...
Refreshing, isn't it?
I've met & became friendly with hundreds of people in my 2 years living in Oz.
No idea what religion or denomination any of them are. I'm not interested.

Makes a change from when I lived in Scotland.

Outdated sad bigoted guff, if you ask me..!!!

As I said in another post in a similar thread....

"What your average Orangeman conveniently forgets, is that Prince William Of Orange's victory at The Battle Of The Boyne in 1690, was totally bankrolled by the incumbent Pope of the time, who was shit scared that if King James of England had won the day, the King of Spain would then hold the balance of power in Europe, leaving him free to invade Italy, & usurp the Papacy!!"

lesleys Jul 12th 2005 4:45 am

Happy birthday!

Something about 12th July and IOM? It was my dad's birthday and he lived in Port Erin. His next-door neighbour shared the birthday.

Have a good one

Lesley

bondipom Jul 12th 2005 7:57 am

The Croats and Serbs here love having a go at each other and there used to be a strong Catholic Protestant divide driven by politics. The catholics were the poor working class and Ausralia's class system still has remnants of that. The Croats I have known here have all been bashed by Serbs and I am sure it happens the other way.

renth Jul 12th 2005 8:00 am

Originally Posted by bondipom
The Croats and Serbs here love having a go at each other and there used to be a strong Catholic Protestant divide driven by politics. The catholics were the poor working class and Ausralia's class system still has remnants of that. The Croats I have known here have all been bashed by Serbs and I am sure it happens the other way.

Sure, you just need to look at soccer in NSW to see the Balkan rivalries. I reckon if they catch any non-citizen taking part in any type of ethnic based violence it should be a jail term followed by a trip to the airport.

bondipom Jul 12th 2005 9:59 am

Sure, you just need to look at soccer in NSW to see the Balkan rivalries. I reckon if they catch any non-citizen taking part in any type of ethnic based violence it should be a jail term followed by a trip to the airport.

Victorian football also had some crowd violence at some games. I believe that Australia currently has the powers to deport criminal non citizens. JAJ maybe able to clarify if they have to be convicted or just suspected of crime. Wasn't there a Brit that was recently convicted and deported? He arrived here as a child of British migrants and he never obtained citizenship. I cannot remember the details. Nothing can be done for the Australian born who carry on the hatred.

JackTheLad Jul 12th 2005 12:30 pm

Ha ha ha http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/lol.gif . The sectarianism in Australia is as deep, if not deeper, than in the UK.

You should try reading some Victoria state history, start with Ned Kelly(poor catholic boy terrorised by protestant authorities). Or alternatively, go into one of the Irish clubs in Melbourne wearing a Rangers scarf :eek: , and explain to them that sectarianism doesn't exist,

JTL

seang Jul 12th 2005 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Ha ha ha http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/lol.gif . The sectarianism in Australia is as deep, if not deeper, than in the UK.

You should try reading some Victoria state history, start with Ned Kelly(poor catholic boy terrorised by protestant authorities). Or alternatively, go into one of the Irish clubs in Melbourne wearing a Rangers scarf :eek: , and explain to them that sectarianism doesn't exist,

JTL

True
Or certain pubs in Sydney wearing a Celtic shirt and live to tell the tale

Bordy Jul 12th 2005 1:01 pm

JTL

I can't agree. Having lived in the West of Scotland for many years & spending a lot of time in NI its not in your face as it was back in UK.
Ive never been asked what school I went to or what foot I kick with etc since coming to Victoria.
Never had my car spat on because it was green ( and I'm a proddy ).

I agree that theres no place here for the small minded bigots.

floweroscotland Jul 13th 2005 12:48 am

I totally agree, I came to Australia from the West of Scotland to get away from that crap, didn't want my kids being brought up in it. The whole time we have been here never once has religion been brought up here, no one cares, it's brilliant, apart from when we meet the Scottish and right on cue before they even ask your name the first question from their mouth is "what team do you support" so they can work out what religion you are!!! pathetic.

Originally Posted by Bordy
I can't agree. Having lived in the West of Scotland for many years & spending a lot of time in NI its not in your face as it was back in UK.
Ive never been asked what school I went to or what foot I kick with etc since coming to Victoria.
Never had my car spat on because it was green ( and I'm a proddy ).

I agree that theres no place here for the small minded bigots.

JAJ Jul 13th 2005 3:20 am

It's like a cross between July 4th and Guy Fawkes night for protestants only.
It's a large Protestant celebration in N. Ireland. The protestant king William of Orange( Toon may have heard of him, he was Dutch) defeated the catholic king James at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.
In protestant areas they collect firewood, old sofas, pallets etc. etc for weeks ( they were already collecting when I was in Belfast at the end of May!!) and have a massive bonfire and piss-up on the 11th night( July 11th).

Wikipedia article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Boyne

Jeremy

JAJ Jul 13th 2005 3:22 am

Northern Ireland - yes.
Ireland - no.

Jeremy

JAJ Jul 13th 2005 3:27 am

JTL

There may be sectarianism in Australia (like anywhere) if you go looking hard for it, but it's not something the average person will come across day to day. Same goes for most of the UK (parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland excepted).

Historically the "Irish Catholic" vote in Australia tended to support the ALP (Labor) but that's much less defined now than it was in the past. If there are differences in the voting pattern of Australian Catholics versus Australian Protestants they're a lot less than they used to be.

Jeremy

Scossie Jul 13th 2005 4:07 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

Bit of a mistake on my part in my earlier post in this thread then I said,
"If King James of England had won the day, the King of Spain would then hold the balance of power in Europe, leaving him free to invade Italy, & usurp the Papacy"

I meant of course, The King of France.

Lord Lionheart Jul 13th 2005 4:47 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

Great, try telling this story down a pub on the Shankhill Road, you'd get about 2 paragraphs in before you get dragged outside and kneecapped.
Tell it down the Falls Road and you get the same results for telling it with an English accent....... :D