British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   From Glasgow Anyone??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/glasgow-anyone-291766/)

cul8rm8e Mar 22nd 2005 9:37 pm

From Glasgow Anyone???

Anyone out there from Sunny Glasgow planning to head down under? ;)

baconmaster Mar 22nd 2005 9:40 pm

Re: From Glasgow Anyone???

Originally Posted by cul8rm8e

My wife is from Glasgow, we just the final police check today, we are ecstatic. We are off to Melbourne, along with the other 4m people from the UK

caroledouglas Mar 22nd 2005 9:41 pm

HI, there is quite a few from Glasgow and down here in Ayrshire off to Oz in the next few months. There is a night out trying to be arranged. Think it is 2 April. You will see the thread. What part of Australia r u off to . Carole ;)

flumper Mar 22nd 2005 9:44 pm

Welcome

You must be from the other side of Glasgow from me because we dont get any sun here!

Where are you heading for?

Go down a few threads. Bhoywonder has arranged a meet in the Loft on the 2nd of April at 3pm.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

caroledouglas Mar 22nd 2005 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by flumper
Welcome

You must be from the other side of Glasgow from me because we dont get any sun here!

Where are you heading for?

Go down a few threads. Bhoywonder has arranged a meet in the Loft on the 2nd of April at 3pm.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Hi there im just curious where exactly is the Loft. Us being from outside Killie. We r not up in Glasgow all that often. Carole :beer:

Bhoywonder Mar 22nd 2005 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by caroledouglas
Hi there im just curious where exactly is the Loft. Us being from outside Killie. We r not up in Glasgow all that often. Carole :beer:

Hi, it is in the West End. Just off Byres Road. (Ashton Lane )
Hope you can make it.

BenandPam Mar 22nd 2005 10:50 pm

I'm also from Glasgow and am off to Melbourne next month.

Looking forward to meeting people in a couple of weeks though.

Cheers,

Pam. :beer: :D

Bordy Mar 23rd 2005 2:10 am

Be prepared for loads of questions like " What part of Ireland do you come from" :D

Scossie Mar 23rd 2005 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Be prepared for loads of questions like " What part of Ireland do you come from" :D

I was on a night out in Fremantle on Saturday, & I met a bloke who started firing endless questions at me all about Ireland this & The Irish that...
The IRA...
The History of the troubles....
Guinness...
The potato famine.... etc. etc....

I tried to answer as best I could, as I've read up a lot on Ireland over the
years, although I never actually got around to going there.

"So where are you originally from then?" he said.
"East Kilbride" I said.
"Where abouts in Ireland is that?" he said.
"About 7 miles south east of Glasgow" I said.:D

You're right Bordy. It happens all the time, although I can't see how people
could confuse a Scots & Irish accent!
They're totally different...:confused:

biggy Mar 23rd 2005 3:05 am

I got that the other day..."Oh thats a lovely irish accent"...I sed " am no fae ireland am Scottish' they sed Oh from England then.....I growled "grrrrrrrrr(need the effect) NOOOO SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" "Is Scotland not in England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" was their reply

:mad: "I'm not even gonna answer that sed I" and walked away. quiet;y seathing lol

No offence intended :D

Bordy Mar 23rd 2005 3:09 am

Whenever I get the "What part of Ireland are you from" now I just ask them what part of New Zealand do you come from.

Ive also had the Yeah but "Scotland is in England isn't it? " Biggy.

biggy Mar 23rd 2005 3:13 am

Whenever I get the "What part of Ireland are you from" now I just ask them what part of New Zealand do you come from.

Ive also had the Yeah but "Scotland is in England isn't it? " Biggy.

Gets right on my baps it does lol

LittleL Mar 23rd 2005 4:04 am

I am glad to see i am not alone when it comes to peeps thinking you are Irish when you infact Scottish. It sucks....! I get so sick of it. The other one for me is "wow your accent isn't very strong is it?" My reply being..."If I was to talk to you the way I would at home ( north east Scotland) you wouldn't have a bloody clue what I was on about...hence the lack of accent.." :rolleyes: I don't know.

Oh and have fun at The Loft you guys meeting up there...makes me sad to hear that as I lived just a street up from Ashton Lane ( Cranworth St) when i was at uni and working there etc....it was a local watering hole...! Have a drink there for me... :beer:

jocky boy Mar 23rd 2005 4:49 am

Hi There Just Joined Site Im From Kirkintilloch Just Outside Of Glasgow Do You No It
Jocky Boy..

Scossie Mar 23rd 2005 4:57 am

Originally Posted by jocky boy
Hi There Just Joined Site Im From Kirkintilloch Just Outside Of Glasgow Do You No It
Jocky Boy..

Yup. My mate, who will hopefully get his Australia PR visa in the next few weeks, (and is a member of this site), is from Kilsyth.
Not too far from you.

Welcome to the forum Jocky Boy.:D

jocky boy Mar 23rd 2005 5:04 am

I WORK IN KILSYH HARVES BARBERS DO YOU KNPW IT :cool:

Scossie Mar 23rd 2005 5:06 am

I WORK IN KILSYH HARVES BARBERS DO YOU KNPW IT :cool:

No, but my mate probably will!:)

JackTheLad Mar 23rd 2005 5:13 am

Jocky Boy..

I was born there!!! Robroyston Hospital. Ha ha, small world.

I was born in Kirkintilloch, grew up in Northern Ireland, then worked in Glasgow and Dublin.

I get and ignore all the following questions, what part of ireland are you from, thats a nice scots accent, what part of Glasgow you from, am I in the IRA :rolleyes: Do I wear a kilt :mad: . Am I irish, do I have an Irish passport. Do I speak Gaelic, whats the gaelic for....

Cheers,
JTL

jocky boy Mar 23rd 2005 5:20 am

I Know What Your Saying Mate About Ignoring All That Crap But I Stay In Kirkintilloch, As You Say Smallworld , We Apart From That I Just Passed My Tra My Immi Officer Says I Should Be In Perth Around January Next Year, Good To Get Away From This Crappy Weather.

Tass Mar 23rd 2005 5:21 am

Ive also had the Yeah but "Scotland is in England isn't it? " Biggy.[/QUOTE]

My 6 year old daughter was recently asked where she came from to which she replied
" KILMARNOCK, SCOTLAND" .
Teacher- "you mean Scotland , ENGLAND"
Daughter-"No, Scotland part of GREAT BRITAIN"
Teacher - "No , you've got it wrong, Scotland is part of England".
:eek: ?????!!!!!!!!?????? :eek:

That and "INVASION DAY- When the British invaded Australia" commonly known everywhere else as AUSTRALIA DAY. :scared:

Try hard not to let these things p#ss me off , but they happen more frequently than I ever imagined. Am not deeply patriotic but do get annoyed occasionaly.Wasn't prepared for the anti - Brit voice of Australia.

Tass. :)

jocky boy Mar 23rd 2005 5:32 am

Hi Tass Hi The Teacher Sounds A Like A Bi... Im Not To Patriotic Myself But Do Love Scotland Aprat From The Weather And The Goverment Money And All E.t.c. But Scotland Is A Good Country Exellent One Of The Most Beatifull Places Espcially Up North. Im Just Getting Away A New Start In Life .

Tass Mar 23rd 2005 5:38 am

Hi Tass Hi The Teacher Sounds A Like A Bi... Im Not To Patriotic Myself But Do Love Scotland Aprat From The Weather And The Goverment Money And All E.t.c. But Scotland Is A Good Country Exellent One Of The Most Beatifull Places Espcially Up North. Im Just Getting Away A New Start In Life .

We did the same , but I am going thru a "missing it all so much" phase.
Good luck to you when you come,
All the best ,

Jockstar Mar 23rd 2005 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Tass
We did the same , but I am going thru a "missing it all so much" phase.
Good luck to you when you come,
All the best ,

Well i'm also from Scotland. Bellshill to exact.I dont miss it. Miss my family but and some things you can only seem to get at home. Have lived away from Scotland for 11 years. I'm only 31 by the way. Left when i was 20 to get a job in London as there was no work to be had in Glasgow areas.(i'm an electrician) Was supposed to be for a short time. But then i started liking the extra money i was making compared to Scotland. Anyway lived all over England for a few years. Then settled in London. First left Scotland in 94. Went to Oz in 98 for a year. Then NZ in 2000 for a year. . When i left NZ in 2001 i came to Thailand for a month and fell in love with the country. decided to come back 4 months later. Stayed here for 15 months.In between i applied for residence to Oz. Got it in 2003. I came back to Bangkok again after 6 months back in London. I have been here again for 15months and will be here for another year and then going to Sydney again. Ah its a hard life. But i can never seeing myself living in Scotland again. But who knows in the future. Its good to have options. Uk, Asia, Oz or even NZ.But no matter wht. I'll always be Scottish. And thats a great thing. IMHO. To the OP. Enjoy it mate. You'll wish you had done it sooner.

soapy© Mar 23rd 2005 7:40 am

when i get asked 'what part of ireland are u from' i reply maroubra. then wait for the smart ares to ask is there a maroubra in ireland. then i reply 'could be but seing im not irish i wouldnt have a fkn clue :D
i once has a wee wumin ask me if i was from the troubled north.
no im from the troubled south. she then asked if there was trouble in the south. my reply........i would like to see u walk home fae the boozers through the southside of glasgow on a saturday night pished. thats askin for trouble hen !!!!! :D she walked away with a strange look on her coupon. then i spent about an our trying to explain to the guys in work what i had just said to her lol

marie_chris Mar 23rd 2005 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Well i'm also from Scotland. Bellshill to exact.I dont miss it. Miss my family but and some things you can only seem to get at home. Have lived away from Scotland for 11 years. I'm only 31 by the way. Left when i was 20 to get a job in London as there was no work to be had in Glasgow areas.(i'm an electrician) Was supposed to be for a short time. But then i started liking the extra money i was making compared to Scotland. Anyway lived all over England for a few years. Then settled in London. First left Scotland in 94. Went to Oz in 98 for a year. Then NZ in 2000 for a year. . When i left NZ in 2001 i came to Thailand for a month and fell in love with the country. decided to come back 4 months later. Stayed here for 15 months.In between i applied for residence to Oz. Got it in 2003. I came back to Bangkok again after 6 months back in London. I have been here again for 15months and will be here for another year and then going to Sydney again. Ah its a hard life. But i can never seeing myself living in Scotland again. But who knows in the future. Its good to have options. Uk, Asia, Oz or even NZ.But no matter wht. I'll always be Scottish. And thats a great thing. IMHO. To the OP. Enjoy it mate. You'll wish you had done it sooner.

No Way - I live in Bellshill now - soon to be Sydney ( I HOPE :D ) Can't wait to leave - lived in South Africa until I was 16, came back to Scotland when trouble hit the country, and have lived in Dublin for the last 3 years and coming back to Bellshill was about all I could take. Been plotting ever since on where to go. Was almost Bermuda ( had job offer - couldn't get boyfriend in) so Oz was next on list - med's being done next week, everything else DIMIA have - keep yer fingers crossed for me

PS Also had the Irish thing for a while, although I was told I sounded like a Kiwi when we were in Vegas at New Year - A KIWI :scared: God knows what these people where on but I KNOW I don't have that ****ed up an accent

marie_chris Mar 23rd 2005 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I was born there!!! Robroyston Hospital. Ha ha, small world.

I was born in Kirkintilloch, grew up in Northern Ireland, then worked in Glasgow and Dublin.

I get and ignore all the following questions, what part of ireland are you from, thats a nice scots accent, what part of Glasgow you from, am I in the IRA :rolleyes: Do I wear a kilt :mad: . Am I irish, do I have an Irish passport. Do I speak Gaelic, whats the gaelic for....

Cheers,
JTL

HI JTL - where about's in Dublin where you based?? My boyfriend and I were in Ballsbridge for 3 years - worked in Donnybrook. Loved it while we were there but rent was a joke so bailed home!! I have always been proud to be Scots, but honestly can't wait to see the back of it.

I think all Scots get that about accents etc, the worst is my mate who was born in Birmingham ( she is asian), moved to Glasgow at age 11, then to london aged 19, married a kiwi, and by GOD her accent is a belter as you can imagine....but she still swears blind she is Scottish :D give's out the aye's naw's and nae bothers with the best of them!

yamahaha Mar 23rd 2005 12:11 pm

Aye, Im fae sunny-stepps and for once its is actaully a braw day here too!
Good to see that us Jocks still have that 'Determined to populate the world' gene :D . I think it has a lot to do with the Weather :mad:
Were waiting on Polis/Medical checks to come back. Applier Jan 10th this year hoping itll be soon!!
Does anybody know how long the rozzers ;) take to turn around the checks? Is it worth just sendng off for it anyway?

marie_chris Mar 23rd 2005 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Aye, Im fae sunny-stepps and for once its is actaully a braw day here too!
Good to see that us Jocks still have that 'Determined to populate the world' gene :D . I think it has a lot to do with the Weather :mad:
Were waiting on Polis/Medical checks to come back. Applier Jan 10th this year hoping itll be soon!!
Does anybody know how long the rozzers ;) take to turn around the checks? Is it worth just sendng off for it anyway?

Can't say for definite how long but I had to get police checks from Strathy Polis and Scotland Yard (local station apply for both) as well as R of Ireland and all three came back within 3 weeks!! I sent ours with app'n - meds next week :scared:

PS fae bellshill, but boyfriends mum stays in Millerston - no far fae Stepps!

JackTheLad Mar 23rd 2005 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by marie_chris
HI JTL - where about's in Dublin where you based?? My boyfriend and I were in Ballsbridge for 3 years - worked in Donnybrook. Loved it while we were there but rent was a joke so bailed home!! I have always been proud to be Scots, but honestly can't wait to see the back of it.

I think all Scots get that about accents etc, the worst is my mate who was born in Birmingham ( she is asian), moved to Glasgow at age 11, then to london aged 19, married a kiwi, and by GOD her accent is a belter as you can imagine....but she still swears blind she is Scottish :D give's out the aye's naw's and nae bothers with the best of them!

Oh weren't you posh :D I couldn't afford to live southside, I was in Drumchondra. Anyway my work was out near the airport (airways industrial estate), so living southside would have just been showing off!!

For my last three years there I lived on Blessington street right off O'Connell street, that was the closest I got to living southside! The rent was an absolute joke, probably about 50% of my wages a month, and I was trying to save for a house, when house prices were going up 15% a year, and my wage was going up 13%.

I did the same as you and bailed out in the end. :(

Happy I did though, got a great property near Belfast which went up 100% in 3 years :D :D

Cheers,
JTL

yamahaha Mar 23rd 2005 12:18 pm

PS fae bellshill, but boyfriends mum stays in Millerston - no far fae Stepps!

Ha! Its a wee world eh? We use Millerston cabs theyre much better than Stepps cabs!!! :beer:

micky Mar 23rd 2005 12:20 pm

Jocky Boy..

Hi Jocky Boy, we are also from Kirkintilloch.
Heading to Perth Jan 2006 or before.

Shona & Micky

marie_chris Mar 23rd 2005 12:22 pm

[QUOTE=JackTheLad]Oh weren't you posh :D I couldn't afford to live southside, I was in Drumchondra. Anyway my work was out near the airport (airways industrial estate), so living southside would have just been showing off!!

For my last three years there I lived on Blessington street right off O'Connell street, that was the closest I got to living southside! The rent was an absolute joke, probably about 50% of my wages a month, and I was trying to save for a house, when house prices were going up 15% a year, and my wage was going up 13%.

I did the same as you and bailed out in the end. :(

Happy I did though, got a great property near Belfast which went up 100% in 3 years :D :D

POSH......ME......... kinda ;)
Totally know what you mean about rent/buy - we got lucky with flat in b'bridge and landlord never put up the rent once - still a killer though. Had no intention of paying €300k for pokey wee flat! Well done on the house - I just kept my wee flat and rented it out so it was no bother moving back - just need to sell the bugger now :D

M x

marie_chris Mar 23rd 2005 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Ha! Its a wee world eh? We use Millerston cabs theyre much better than Stepps cabs!!! :beer:

That's funny!! where you headed to anyway?? we're heading to Sydney - hopefully. Can't talk about it though cos the other half thinks I will jinx it :(

yamahaha Mar 23rd 2005 1:16 pm

That's funny!! where you headed to anyway?? we're heading to Sydney - hopefully. Can't talk about it though cos the other half thinks I will jinx it :(

Im in the same boat as you, my other half doesnt want to get her hopes up!

Not sure where were going yet, probably Sydney as well but Im into diving and really want to get out of IT (I Work for a crappy IT firm in EK) and get into Diving professionally so we'll probably end up in Queensland.

We plan to go to the far east to do our Dive Masters and tour on our way over to Oz then do an instuctors course when I get to Oz. We were hoping to go back to Phi-Phi (we were there just before the Tsunami :( ) for 6 weeks but we need to find out what the state of the Dive Centres there are now...

lynnlovessun Mar 23rd 2005 6:06 pm

Hi! Lynn here coming from posh Springburn (NOT!) - originally from the posh part of Glasgow - Bishopbriggs :p and moving back there in with my mum when we sell our house in Springburn.

Hoping to depart to sunnier climes in November this year, Brisbane to be exact. I'm a nurse on MODL and going with hubbie - our application has been in since 3rd Feb.

Nice to see so many Scots getting the hell out of this country!!!!

Lynn :)

Perthforme Mar 23rd 2005 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by micky
Hi Jocky Boy, we are also from Kirkintilloch.
Heading to Perth Jan 2006 or before.

Shona & Micky

We heading for perth in jan to we will all have to have a beer when we get there. :beer:

Sorchar Mar 24th 2005 12:03 am

Hello all, not quite from Glasgow, I'm from Paisley. :cool: Have just joined the site. Have been granted visas but not able to fly off just yet. :( Validated visas in september, went to Perth. just didn't want to leave. But at least I know I will be able to go back to Oz :) :) Not quite decided where to settle, got a couple of places in mind.

Bordy Mar 24th 2005 12:58 am

Originally Posted by alexandra k
Hello all, not quite from Glasgow, I'm from Paisley. :cool: Have just joined the site. Have been granted visas but not able to fly off just yet. :( Validated visas in september, went to Perth. just didn't want to leave. But at least I know I will be able to go back to Oz :) :) Not quite decided where to settle, got a couple of places in mind.

Welcome to the site Alexandra, I was born in Paisley so nice to see another buddy on here.

dracupg Mar 24th 2005 1:21 am

Can I score some jellies off either of you? :)

Went to Paisley Tech, but seem to remember spending most of my time in the Wee Howf or the Cellar bar.

Bordy Mar 24th 2005 1:28 am

Originally Posted by dracupg
Can I score some jellies off either of you? :)

Went to Paisley Tech, but seem to remember spending most of my time in the Wee Howf or the Cellar bar.

Sorry Gordon the only Jellies I used were the baby ones. Bit differant nowadays.