Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Given dismal exchange rates

Given dismal exchange rates

Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Given dismal exchange rates

Does anyone have any suggestions re banking - if I wanted to close my UK a/c but keep some money in sterling?

Nationwide now charging for debit card withdrawals so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:39 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Given dismal exchange rates

Not sure exactly what you want to acheive but my banking with LloydsTSB in the U.K. is still free. Not sure about new customers though and there is talk of bank charges coming back in.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Not sure exactly what you want to acheive but my banking with LloydsTSB in the U.K. is still free. Not sure about new customers though and there is talk of bank charges coming back in.
Hi Alistair

Several years ago some friends of mine moved from Oz to Ireland and the exchange rate for them was dismal so they were able to keep their dollars in dollars until rate improved so was just wondering if there was a way of doing that in Oz?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:46 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Hi Alistair

Several years ago some friends of mine moved from Oz to Ireland and the exchange rate for them was dismal so they were able to keep their dollars in dollars until rate improved so was just wondering if there was a way of doing that in Oz?
I'm sure there will be. Regretably, I can't answer it but I'm sure there's someone on here who can.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any suggestions re banking - if I wanted to close my UK a/c but keep some money in sterling?

Nationwide now charging for debit card withdrawals so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Why close the account? Leave the money in the UK and don't move it till you need to.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why close the account? Leave the money in the UK and don't move it till you need to.
Interest rates in the Uk do not exist anymore. We've put a lot of our money into premium bonds.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Interest rates in the Uk do not exist anymore. We've put a lot of our money into premium bonds.
I don't have enough cash for interest rates to be of much concern to me.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:31 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Thanks
We have an NAB Stirling and AUD account all here in Oz to get around that issue with poor rates
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't premium bonds base their payouts on the prevailing interest rate?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Don't premium bonds base their payouts on the prevailing interest rate?
They are yes but someone still wins a million every month and with interest rates being so low in the banks you don't lose much if you don't win.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

UK premium bonds?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

wijay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark213
We have an NAB Stirling and AUD account all here in Oz to get around that issue with poor rates
We have the same problem. I just sold my house in the UK and the with abysimal exchange rate and interest in UK, need to move my money to Oz. What I will do is to move small amount, say 5 k everyday, so on average, hopefully, I won't loose to much if the exchange improve.

How about this Stirling account in NAB, do you just move your sterling to the account in Oz? How much interest will you get for that in Oz if you put your money in the high savers account in the bank, or even term deposit.

regards
wijaya
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wijay
How about this Stirling account in NAB, do you just move your sterling to the account in Oz? How much interest will you get for that in Oz if you put your money in the high savers account in the bank, or even term deposit.
They pay close to 0% on a sterling account.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I closed my NAB USD and GBP accounts and instead opened them up with the commonwealth since they are absolutely no fee. They offer 0% interest or near to it as well of course. But free is free and I hold no other accounts with them.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
They are yes but someone still wins a million every month and with interest rates being so low in the banks you don't lose much if you don't win.
But of course if you are resident in Australia yo will pay tax on any Bond winnings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.