British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Given dismal exchange rates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/given-dismal-exchange-rates-686973/)

suebrennan Sep 26th 2010 10:36 am

Given dismal exchange rates

Does anyone have any suggestions re banking - if I wanted to close my UK a/c but keep some money in sterling?

Nationwide now charging for debit card withdrawals so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Sherlock Holmes Sep 26th 2010 10:39 am

Re: Given dismal exchange rates

Not sure exactly what you want to acheive but my banking with LloydsTSB in the U.K. is still free. Not sure about new customers though and there is talk of bank charges coming back in.

suebrennan Sep 26th 2010 10:44 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8876449)
Not sure exactly what you want to acheive but my banking with LloydsTSB in the U.K. is still free. Not sure about new customers though and there is talk of bank charges coming back in.

Hi Alistair

Several years ago some friends of mine moved from Oz to Ireland and the exchange rate for them was dismal so they were able to keep their dollars in dollars until rate improved so was just wondering if there was a way of doing that in Oz?

Sherlock Holmes Sep 26th 2010 10:46 am

Originally Posted by suebrennan (Post 8876456)
Hi Alistair

Several years ago some friends of mine moved from Oz to Ireland and the exchange rate for them was dismal so they were able to keep their dollars in dollars until rate improved so was just wondering if there was a way of doing that in Oz?

I'm sure there will be. Regretably, I can't answer it but I'm sure there's someone on here who can. :)

Pollyana Sep 26th 2010 11:07 am

Originally Posted by suebrennan (Post 8876443)
Does anyone have any suggestions re banking - if I wanted to close my UK a/c but keep some money in sterling?

Nationwide now charging for debit card withdrawals so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Why close the account? Leave the money in the UK and don't move it till you need to.

Amazulu Sep 26th 2010 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8876485)
Why close the account? Leave the money in the UK and don't move it till you need to.

Interest rates in the Uk do not exist anymore. We've put a lot of our money into premium bonds.

Pollyana Sep 26th 2010 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8876562)
Interest rates in the Uk do not exist anymore. We've put a lot of our money into premium bonds.

I don't have enough cash for interest rates to be of much concern to me.

mark213 Sep 26th 2010 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by suebrennan (Post 8876443)

Thanks

We have an NAB Stirling and AUD account all here in Oz to get around that issue with poor rates

NedKelly Sep 26th 2010 10:39 pm

Don't premium bonds base their payouts on the prevailing interest rate?

Don_Angel Sep 27th 2010 2:02 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly (Post 8877599)
Don't premium bonds base their payouts on the prevailing interest rate?

They are yes but someone still wins a million every month and with interest rates being so low in the banks you don't lose much if you don't win.

Seneca21 Sep 27th 2010 2:15 am

UK premium bonds?

wijay Sep 27th 2010 2:22 am

Originally Posted by mark213 (Post 8877587)
We have an NAB Stirling and AUD account all here in Oz to get around that issue with poor rates

We have the same problem. I just sold my house in the UK and the with abysimal exchange rate and interest in UK, need to move my money to Oz. What I will do is to move small amount, say 5 k everyday, so on average, hopefully, I won't loose to much if the exchange improve.

How about this Stirling account in NAB, do you just move your sterling to the account in Oz? How much interest will you get for that in Oz if you put your money in the high savers account in the bank, or even term deposit.

regards
wijaya

bcworld Sep 27th 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by wijay (Post 8877866)
How about this Stirling account in NAB, do you just move your sterling to the account in Oz? How much interest will you get for that in Oz if you put your money in the high savers account in the bank, or even term deposit.

They pay close to 0% on a sterling account.

Centurion Sep 27th 2010 2:38 am

By the way, I closed my NAB USD and GBP accounts and instead opened them up with the commonwealth since they are absolutely no fee. They offer 0% interest or near to it as well of course. But free is free and I hold no other accounts with them.

Wol Sep 27th 2010 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Don_Angel (Post 8877848)
They are yes but someone still wins a million every month and with interest rates being so low in the banks you don't lose much if you don't win.

But of course if you are resident in Australia yo will pay tax on any Bond winnings :thumbdown: