Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To Give you some idea of the fees when buying a house

To Give you some idea of the fees when buying a house

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:35 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default To Give you some idea of the fees when buying a house

Thought some of you may be interested in the costs of purchasing a house when you get here?

This is based on the buying price of $181,000 in Perth

Establishment fee $600
Mortgage Stamp Duty $352
Title transfer $105
Mortgage Registration $75 (for those that need one!)
Settlement fees (solicitor) $640
Purchase Stamp Duty $5561 (luckily just before the increase
Water, rates etc. have to be paid up front $1000

Total $8333

We did qualify for the First Home Buyers Grant of $7000 which pays for most of it, before I got here though I thought "oh great $7000 to spend on furnishing the house!" Oh how nieve?!

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks j for the most informative thread i have seen for ages!!

Keep it up
ellen1

May i be cheeky and ask how much deposit you needed, how many beds and baths you have and the location, as it seems really reasonable
cheers
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To Give you some idea of the fees when buying a house

Originally posted by janeyray
Thought some of you may be interested in the costs of purchasing a house when you get here?

This is based on the buying price of $181,000 in Perth

Establishment fee $600
Mortgage Stamp Duty $352
Title transfer $105
Mortgage Registration $75 (for those that need one!)
Settlement fees (solicitor) $640
Purchase Stamp Duty $5561 (luckily just before the increase
Water, rates etc. have to be paid up front $1000

Total $8333

We did qualify for the First Home Buyers Grant of $7000 which pays for most of it, before I got here though I thought "oh great $7000 to spend on furnishing the house!" Oh how nieve?!

what is a first time homebuyers grant ?
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:10 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: To Give you some idea of the fees when buying a house

Originally posted by wombat
It is a grant the government give all first time buyers in Oz, well Perth anyway, you will be able to get it if you have a permanent residency visa and have never owned your own home in Australia (it doesn't matter if you have owned a home in the UK)
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:16 pm
home again, home again

Originally posted by ellen1
Thanks j for the most informative thread i have seen for ages!!

Keep it up
ellen1

May i be cheeky and ask how much deposit you needed, how many beds and baths you have and the location, as it seems really reasonable
cheers
We put down 20% (saved rest in the bank in case we decide we don't like it here !!!!).

You must put at least 20% down to get a mortgage here. There are exceptions like keywest, but the interest rates are higher. It has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (I would post a picture but don't know how and after grub posted her house thought I'd better not!!) It is in Ellenbrook, it's slightly cheaper here as it's inland (about 25 min to the coast - 22k from city) and has yet to have it's shopping centre completed, first stage to be completed 2004. It reminds me of the town from "The Truman Show" the one with Jim Carey? Everything is so neat and pretty with nothing out of place
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/housing.php

and you will find a link that gives all the info on the grant.

Last edited by karawara88; Jul 3rd 2003 at 5:20 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We put down 20% (saved rest in the bank in case we decide we don't like it here !!!!).

You must put at least 20% down to get a mortgage here. There are exceptions like keywest, but the interest rates are higher. It has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (I would post a picture but don't know how and after grub posted her house thought I'd better not!!) It is in Ellenbrook, it's slightly cheaper here as it's inland (about 25 min to the coast - 22k from city) and has yet to have it's shopping centre completed, first stage to be completed 2004. It reminds me of the town from "The Truman Show" the one with Jim Carey? Everything is so neat and pretty with nothing out of place
wow a place named after me
i will have to look into it more, it sounds a lovley place.

best of luck
ellen
Old Jul 4th 2003, 4:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Ellenbrook is a new Burb thats stinking hot in the summer because its too far inland , hope you do well with your home its easier to buy in there than sell up.