NZ - Teaching

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

macky42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NZ - Teaching

Hi all, first post:

I know registration is required for teaching in primary and secondary schools, but do adult education tutors need to be registered? Anyone know? Looked on TeachNZ but didn't see anything.
This is what my wife does and we're hoping she may get work, although we think she may need to do some more qualifications first - may have to have a punt on the NZQA to find out.

mike
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also a qualified adult education tutor our immigration advisor said the qualification was worthless as regards a skill for emmigration.

I searched various job sites and could not seem to find many vacancies that exist in this field but I am sure it is because community education does not post their vacancies on the internet.

Had you considered using this to enter on general skills - my qualification is a city and guilds and this seems to be a recognised trade qualifcation but there is no mention of this particular qualification.

Any information you can share would be appreciated.

carol
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

macky42 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're just starting out on this.
We were looking at going the General Skills route, but it looks like we'll have to wait and see what the new requirements are.
I don't know how the qualification is regarded in NZ, that's why I mentioned having a gamble on paying out for an NZQA assessment. I feel my wife has more to do before they accept it.
We have also thought of waiting to see what sort of teachers they want and maybe going for a suitable qualification from scratch, even if it takes a few years. By which time the place will be closed..
Old Jul 4th 2003, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point

esol teacher were on the shortages list - this is an adult qualification - don't kmow how your wife feels about this but would need a diploma also if you are starting from scratch I seem too re-call all secondary school teachers were in demand