Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Give me a tissue

Give me a tissue

Old May 2nd 2003, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Give me a tissue

You may remember i sold my house 6 weeks ago within 40 minutes - everything was hunky dory and we were due to complete on 30th April 2003 - at the 11th Hour the buyers solicitors picked up on the fact that we did not have planning permission for our loft conversion, conservatory and garage conversion (hubby did then) we did check at the time and was told we didnt need it - however they let that pass and they wanted building regs - been approved on garage and conservatory but not the loft conversion - doesnt meet fire regs - wll now have to put on amrket and advertise as 3 bed instead of 4 -
Old May 2nd 2003, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that. What a bummer. My hubby built our conservatory and was told by the council he didnt need planning permission also.
Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly next time .

BooBoo
Old May 2nd 2003, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Give me a tissue

Originally posted by thewoods
You may remember i sold my house 6 weeks ago within 40 minutes - everything was hunky dory and we were due to complete on 30th April 2003 - at the 11th Hour the buyers solicitors picked up on the fact that we did not have planning permission for our loft conversion, conservatory and garage conversion (hubby did then) we did check at the time and was told we didnt need it - however they let that pass and they wanted building regs - been approved on garage and conservatory but not the loft conversion - doesnt meet fire regs - wll now have to put on amrket and advertise as 3 bed instead of 4 -
You could fit door closers to the internal doors and get the Fire Officer back. They are usually quite helpful and will issue a Fire Certificate if you do this. Then the attic bedroom can be described as such. Otherwise just call is a playroom.

Basically, if you have habitable space on 3 floors (ie bedroom in the loft) fire protection is required.

Hard lesson learnt?
Old May 2nd 2003, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Crikey what bad luck.

footie chick
Old May 2nd 2003, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

more involved than fitting door closers im afraid - hubby said months work to fit it in with his job + approx £3000 - in negotiations with solicotors to knock off some money, exchange and let them carry out the works and complete when regs issued - best option for us however is to remove straircase from lft and fit a loft ladder - dont need any approval then!!! but are buyers dont want that
Old May 2nd 2003, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Give me a tissue

Originally posted by thewoods

Sorry to hear that - Hope all goes well in the future.

Thanks

Terry
Old May 2nd 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by booboo
Sorry to hear that. What a bummer. My hubby built our conservatory and was told by the council he didnt need planning permission also.
Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly next time .

BooBoo
Hi Guys,

This is something we came accross when we put our conservatory up,

If the conservatory backs onto and can be seen from a A or B road, also and is built at the front of the property then it needs permission, if the conservatory is in the back garden (normal place) then no permission needed, but if it's within 2 metres of a boundry fence i.e. next door's property then good will permission is needed from them, but if the conservatory been up 5 years or more then they have no say,

As for loft and normal extensions then building regs and planning are needed, if you build a dorma and is rear facing no permission but building regs are required, if you build a front facing conservatory, permission needed, bla bla bla so complicated eh,

I'm now confused, please check with you local rip off merchant, our dearest local council ...

Last edited by scoobydooathome; May 2nd 2003 at 7:17 pm.
Old May 2nd 2003, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to hear your bad news, you must be really peed off !!! we had aloft conversion, (without planning) we advertised it as an extra storage room, not an extra bedroom. we are waiting for our survey results at the moment. good luck to you.
Old May 2nd 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Probably wise to mention, adding bits to your house in OZ without planning permission is a big NO NO. Also doing work yourself that you are not licensed for.

Contracts here collapse like a pack of cards as soon as they whiff, illegal work. Get a permit for everything. And when you are buying, fresh off the plane, check you dont get lumped with a house the aussies would not buy.