Getting Wood

Old May 31st 2005, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Wood

[QUOTE=mr mover]
Originally Posted by Badge
Try and not cut down trees with Nest holes in as Parrots prefer old dead trees.......
I agree. Lots of other wildlife needs dead trees too. By all means use dead wood, just try not to get overzealous and remove it all....please!

Casuarina spp. trees (She Oaks) are an Aussie native and have been described in sources I've read as 'the best firewood in the world'. I don't know if that's true, but it's a fair bet that it's bloody good wood. It's just not that widespread that's all, though you may come across She-Oak groves here and there. If you don't already know, it looks a bit like a conifer (though it isn't), and has greatly reduced needle-like leaves. Once you recognise it, you won't mistake it for anything else.

I hope you have fun with your wood!

Last edited by tonyk38; May 31st 2005 at 1:43 pm.
Old May 31st 2005, 1:48 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, i haven't looked at this thread for a while and am shocked to find that you are all still on track and talking about................wood.
See we can all be grown up (sometimes)

BUt anyway
Wouldn't it
Wouldn't it
Wouldn't it be funny
If a lady had a wooden tit
Wouldn't it be funny
Old May 31st 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

A snake slithered out of our wood pile too, here's the piccie I took (I can't believe I was mad enough to stand there photographing it!)

When we moved into our house last year, the previous owners left behind a messy heap of logs cut up, and a metal drum to throw them in for drying out. Not many in the drum though, so we were forced to burn wood which hadn't dried out properly, and it took ages to get the fire started. Through the spring and autumn, we have been busy sorting the logs and stacking them, as well as completely filling the drum. We have also taken down some Sheoak trees which were rather close to the house (yes they burn extremely well, a little too close to the property for comfort!). They drop a lot of mess too, bits of sheoak were everywhere, so that's solved that problem. We have a huge, neat woodpile now and enough wood to burn for several years! Hubby has also got through a fair number of chainsaw chains!

I lit the fire for the first time tonight, and it took straightaway, no messing about with firelighters, it obviously makes a difference using wood which has been left to dry out properly, as well as producing less harmful smoke.
Attached Thumbnails Getting Wood-snake.jpg  
Old May 31st 2005, 9:11 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by HUP
:scared:

amazing what a bit of editing does.

Yeah I need a chain saw - l'm panning on getting a petrol one. Just a bit skint at the moment. might borrow the neighbours.

badge

Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:13 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

badge
Sorry couldn't resist
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I need a chain saw - l'm panning on getting a petrol one. Just a bit skint at the moment. might borrow the neighbours.

badge
I wish I still had mine, it's still in the UK - I just wouldn't have been able to get it clean enough to bring. I would never have lent it to anyone though.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:34 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
I wish I still had mine, it's still in the UK - I just wouldn't have been able to get it clean enough to bring. I would never have lent it to anyone though.
The boys on the StGeorge thread are giving each other plenty of wood, & not a chainsaw in sight