British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Getting Wood (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/getting-wood-305884/)

Badge May 30th 2005 2:03 pm

Getting Wood

Getting practical - Hevs mate - I am hoping you will give me 2p worth here.

Wood. For your burner. We've exhausted most of our wood that was lying around the block since spring when we moved in - the rest of it got wet. So I went to our wood store and I got 30 huge pieces of red gum for a song to tide us over the next week - and to mix with other stuff. I know the bloke who works there so I got it cheap.

Normally it is 110 bucks for a stacked cubic metre of red gum....sounds expensive but that is half a tonne - the 80 bucks I have seen advertised elsewhere is not always stacked so you end up getting less.

I am also trying to work out how I can get a permit to go logging in the forests which I've heard about it. I've also got a load of dead trees in the back paddock but I am not planning to go all greek and chop them all down...just yet....you know "chop them down, concrete the block". I chopped down one tree overhanging our window this summer and I'm known at work with the greenos as the 'Greek' now. :D

Ideas...comments..

badge

Anne4Terry May 30th 2005 2:10 pm

Re: Getting Wood

No comments on your quote, just the thread title raised my eyebrows!!! ;)

Muzza04 May 30th 2005 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Badge
I am also trying to work out how I can get a permit to go logging in the forests which I've heard about it.

Ideas...comments..

badge

This is your best bet. If there are any new works .ie roadworks or clearings going on near you, then a license will allow you to dive in with chainsaw and pick up. Seen this happen here in WA where there are allsorts milling around bits of trees trimming down and packin up there ute.

Or maybe they were looking for a substantial jarrah/marrah timber, turn it into a table and sell for $3k ;)

Bordy May 30th 2005 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
No comments on your quote, just the thread title raised my eyebrows!!! ;)

Another member with a filthy mind. :rolleyes: :D

Carefull with those logs Badge, I know someone who lifted one to chop for the fire & a snake came slithering out. :scared:

Rooksie May 30th 2005 4:02 pm

my husband always has wood in the morning :D

Anne4Terry May 30th 2005 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rooksie
my husband always has wood in the morning :D

Only in the morning? My my, you're missing out :D

Toontje May 30th 2005 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Only in the morning? My my, you're missing out :D

No, you were missing out.

Rooksie never said only in the morning..... :D

Rooksie May 30th 2005 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje
No, you were missing out.

Rooksie never said only in the morning..... :D

;) :D

jad n rich May 30th 2005 8:54 pm

[QUOTE=Badge]Getting practical - Hevs mate - I am hoping you will give me 2p worth here.

Wood. For your burner. We've exhausted most of our wood that was lying around the block since spring when we moved in - the rest of it got wet. So I went to our wood store and I got 30 huge pieces of red gum for a song to tide us over the next week - and to mix with other stuff. I know the bloke who works there so I got it cheap.

Normally it is 110 bucks for a stacked cubic metre of red gum....sounds expensive but that is half a tonne - the 80 bucks I have seen advertised elsewhere is not always stacked so you end up getting less.

I am also trying to work out how I can get a permit to go logging in the forests which I've heard about it. I've also got a load of dead trees in the back paddock but I am not planning to go all greek and chop them all down...just yet....you know "chop them down, concrete the block". I chopped down one tree overhanging our window this summer and I'm known at work with the greenos as the 'Greek' now. :D

Ideas...comments..

Chop stack and Dry your wood out for a year before using it, burnng green wood will stink you and the neighbours out and kill the environment.

Look in the local paper, usually heaps of firewood for delivery or pick up. Heating a house by log heater in melbourne will require a few tonne why not get a large load delivered, keeping it drys the important part, difficult in a melby winter :eek: dont keep it against the house, termite problem.

Badge May 30th 2005 9:41 pm

[QUOTE=jad n rich]

Getting practical - Hevs mate - I am hoping you will give me 2p worth here.

Ideas...comments..

Chop stack and Dry your wood out for a year before using it, burnng green wood will stink you and the neighbours out and kill the environment.

Look in the local paper, usually heaps of firewood for delivery or pick up. Heating a house by log heater in melbourne will require a few tonne why not get a large load delivered, keeping it drys the important part, difficult in a melby winter :eek: dont keep it against the house, termite problem.

Indeed. *Getting* the wood to a dry spot is the problem, I am stacking it in the garage (done before it got wet) on the far wall - this is the closest point to point of delivery - stacking it in a wood shed that I could erect in the back yard requires me to move it 30m and I haven't got the time. So I need to get that ride on and a trailer so I can pull a pallet...

We have a side shed we can use only acccessible through the back deck, garden steps and pool and I don't fancy carrying 6 logs at a time up all that - it will take ages.

I could also build cover out front. Another option. I'll probably end up doing that. The wood dries out fairly quickly, if it has been inside for a few days and is rested on the wood burner first. The green stuff that's been cut is ignored.

BM

mr mover May 30th 2005 10:05 pm

[QUOTE=Badge]

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Indeed. *Getting* the wood to a dry spot is the problem, I am stacking it in the garage (done before it got wet) on the far wall - this is the closest point to point of delivery - stacking it in a wood shed that I could erect in the back yard requires me to move it 30m and I haven't got the time. So I need to get that ride on and a trailer so I can pull a pallet...

We have a side shed we can use only acccessible through the back deck, garden steps and pool and I don't fancy carrying 6 logs at a time up all that - it will take ages.

I could also build cover out front. Another option. I'll probably end up doing that. The wood dries out fairly quickly, if it has been inside for a few days and is rested on the wood burner first. The green stuff that's been cut is ignored.

BM

Got a ute load {small tray crew cab} of "sugar gum"for $75 just over a cubic m3 , Sugar gum is the wood the Murray river paddle steamers prefered. burns hot we top this up with crap wood from our wood lot. {blue gum] Try and not cut down trees with Nest holes in as Parrots prefer old dead trees....... :beer: mm

Badge May 30th 2005 10:42 pm

[QUOTE=mr mover]

Got a ute load {small tray crew cab} of "sugar gum"for $75 just over a cubic m3 , Sugar gum is the wood the Murray river paddle steamers prefered. burns hot we top this up with crap wood from our wood lot. {blue gum] Try and not cut down trees with Nest holes in as Parrots prefer old dead trees....... :beer: mm

this is how I could have got my wood - dual cab ute tray - 75 bucks as you say. I just got 30 pieces.

cheers

BM

hevs May 30th 2005 10:59 pm

apparently you can apply to the council (now theres a surprise:D) for a permit, i don't know the whys and wherefores though. Also i have been told by Ivan that any wood on the road side is fair game, but as peeps have said it will be wet and will need a year to dry out.

Also look for land with dead trees in it and go ask if you cut em can you have em.

I'm thinking a trip to bunnings for a big chainsaw is a must:D

HUP May 31st 2005 2:33 am

I am planning to go all greek

:scared:

:D

mr mover May 31st 2005 9:28 am

Originally Posted by hevs
apparently you can apply to the council (now theres a surprise:D) for a permit, i don't know the whys and wherefores though. Also i have been told by Ivan that any wood on the road side is fair game, but as peeps have said it will be wet and will need a year to dry out.

Also look for land with dead trees in it and go ask if you cut em can you have em.

I'm thinking a trip to bunnings for a big chainsaw is a must:D

Stihl Farm boss , never looked back . About $700 bucks .......... :beer: mm