Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting tax reference number in oz

getting tax reference number in oz

Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice
Default getting tax reference number in oz

hi people , i just want to know is there any waiting time once in Australia regarding getting a tax number and starting work or is it a straight forward process , can you work straight away , cheers.
karl
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future
Default Re: getting tax reference number in oz

Hi Karl

I have just checked for you and according to the information I have it takes around 2 weeks for a Tax File Number to come through.
You can apply at your local Australian Tax Office (you will need to take some form of ID) or online at www.ato.gov.au where you will need your passport number.

I am going to apply for mine before I go.

Charlene
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

You can do it online if you're already in Oz: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice

Originally Posted by CharleneG
Hi Karl

I have just checked for you and according to the information I have it takes around 2 weeks for a Tax File Number to come through.
You can apply at your local Australian Tax Office (you will need to take some form of ID) or online at www.ato.gov.au where you will need your passport number.

Charlene
nice one charlene , so can you get it before you go , thats better than waiting 2 weeks , ps we are in waterfoot at the moment not a million miles from you , were are you looking at once in oz , regards.
karl.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

If you've already got a job lined up how does that work? Is it generally accepted that the employer applies on your behalf or do you have to get it before you can start work or get it before you get paid or...???? Is it true you have to pay your own tax at the end of the tax year and you have to do the tax calc? Is there anything equivalent to the PAYE/NI that comes off direct with every pay packet?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:09 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CharleneG
Hi Karl

Charlene
AFAIK, you can only apply for a TFN as a permanent resident once you have entered the country and validated your visa.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
AFAIK, you can only apply for a TFN as a permanent resident once you have entered the country and validated your visa.
Yes, when my daughter was coming over I tried to apply online before she came but it would not let me as she was not in the country. When she arrived, we applied as soon as we got home from the airport and it went through, so you can apply for one as soon as you are in the country, literally. It does not matter about having the number to start work as on the TFN declaration form there is a box to tick if you have no number but applied for one.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 571090
nice one charlene , so can you get it before you go , thats better than waiting 2 weeks , ps we are in waterfoot at the moment not a million miles from you , were are you looking at once in oz , regards.
karl.
No, you have to wait til you get here

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
If you've already got a job lined up how does that work? Is it generally accepted that the employer applies on your behalf or do you have to get it before you can start work or get it before you get paid or...???? Is it true you have to pay your own tax at the end of the tax year and you have to do the tax calc? Is there anything equivalent to the PAYE/NI that comes off direct with every pay packet?
No, you have to apply for your own TFN when you get here. Takes 5 minutes and you can do it online.

If you are employed then your employer will take tax and medicare off of your wage before they pay you (it's called Pay As You Go - PAYG here) . You do have to do a tax return at the end of the year though. If you're good you'll get something back

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Correct
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
You do have to do a tax return at the end of the year though. If you're good you'll get something back

Correct
That is....the end of the Tax Year 01 Jul-30 Jun....not the end of the Calendar Year.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JR230898
That is....the end of the Tax Year 01 Jul-30 Jun....not the end of the Calendar Year.

Yeah that's what I meant - thanks! I'm in the middle of cooking
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

I came over to Oz 20 years ago on a WHV. Whilst there I did work, so would I have been issued with a TFN? I understand that you are only ever issued with one in your lifetime. Would I have to find out if I had been given one and if so how would I do this?
Many thanks
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

If you are employed then your employer will take tax and medicare off of your wage before they pay you (it's called Pay As You Go - PAYG here) . You do have to do a tax return at the end of the year though. If you're good you'll get something back
Without sounding blonde (which i am) - how does being good affect your tax return? Is it like the opposite of getting an asbo? good behaviour and the gov give you a tax refund??

Last edited by Looking forward to Oz; Jan 12th 2009 at 3:32 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Without sounding blonde (which i am) - how does being good affect your tax return? Is it like the opposite of getting an asbo? good behaviour and the gov give you a tax refund??

I was being silly. Although they do give handouts here quite a bit so you never know....

Seriously if you're good at doing tax returns, you're more likely to get a refund There's the education refund, work related expenses and a whole heap of other stuff you can claim for here - so read the ATO site and all the notes in the E-Tax pack - or employ a Tax Agent to help you.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

I was being silly. Although they do give handouts here quite a bit so you never know....

Seriously if you're good at doing tax returns, you're more likely to get a refund There's the education refund, work related expenses and a whole heap of other stuff you can claim for here - so read the ATO site and all the notes in the E-Tax pack - or employ a Tax Agent to help you.
And don't forget to claim for sunglasses and sun cream, if you are an outdoor worker.

It is quite common to get a $1,000 or so back after you do the tax return.

Tax Agents often charge about $75 for a basic tax return, this is also tax deductible...

Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And don't forget to claim for sunglasses and sun cream, if you are an outdoor worker.

It is quite common to get a $1,000 or so back after you do the tax return.

Tax Agents often charge about $75 for a basic tax return, this is also tax deductible...

I have had two pretty good years so far....long may it continue!