Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting PR from 457

Getting PR from 457

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough
Default Getting PR from 457

We are over here on a 457 visa sponsored by my employer. My employer is now applying for PR for me (although we have only been here for five days) .

For the 457 my wife and I didn't need medicals (only x-rays) and didn't need police checks either. Can anyone tell me if we will have to have either (or both) once we apply for PR?

Thanks,

Trekrider
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:26 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice
Default Re: Getting PR from 457

Originally Posted by Trekrider
We are over here on a 457 visa sponsored by my employer. My employer is now applying for PR for me (although we have only been here for five days) .

For the 457 my wife and I didn't need medicals (only x-rays) and didn't need police checks either. Can anyone tell me if we will have to have either (or both) once we apply for PR?

Thanks,

Trekrider
Probably have to have both done again. Shouldn't worry as each are not expensive. If you are here long enough prior to applying for PR, you'll also need Aussie Police checks to (no big shakes either)

Dave
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
Probably have to have both done again. Shouldn't worry as each are not expensive. If you are here long enough prior to applying for PR, you'll also need Aussie Police checks to (no big shakes either)

Dave
Thanks for this Dave, but now I'm confused I thought the police checks everyone talks about was with the Aussie Police. I read on a website about emigrating to Oz that had a 'what to do when you first arrive' section that you had to have your police check done once you get here. My wife is telling me that she thinks the police check everyone mentions is in the UK.

Can you clarify please?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:54 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this Dave, but now I'm confused I thought the police checks everyone talks about was with the Aussie Police. I read on a website about emigrating to Oz that had a 'what to do when you first arrive' section that you had to have your police check done once you get here. My wife is telling me that she thinks the police check everyone mentions is in the UK.

Can you clarify please?
u only need OZ police checks if u have been here a year
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
The site I was looking at (movingdownunder.co.uk) says the following regarding Aussie police checks:

'Police checks- most jobs require you to have a police check, called National Police Clearence Certificates. This can be obtained from Police stations and cost $41'

My employer didn't require it

So what is the police check everyone is talking about then Is it done in the UK and how do you do it? Can it be done from Oz as I have no intention of going back to the UK!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
They have only been here 5 days Soapy

Are you going for ENS or RSMS ? As you are in Sydney I guess it's ENS ?

Either way you will need the UK police checks but none from Aus.
Also full medicals, x-rays and blood tests done in Aus.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Can it be done from Oz as I have no intention of going back to the UK!
Yes you can get it done from here - I did, but you may need to phone Scotland Yard.

When I applied for PR back a good few years ago ( within Aus) I needed three police checks, the Australian police check which was fast, and easy enough( which I don't think you will need as you've only been here 5 days). My British check was a pain in the arse, and it held up my PR application - The British checks were the slowest , it took ages to process.

If I remember correctly on the British police form I had it stated for Id that they needed for me to give my passport, Birth cert etc to the police station - no copies, the original thing. The form applied more to people who were in the UK. I was not prepared to send my passport to them of course as I needed it here.

What I did was to phone Scotland Yard and I explained my situation, they gave me permission to just send photocopies of my passport and birth cert etc ( and verified/signed by a JP etc here in aus - lucky for me a guy in my works with me is one, so he signed mine) .

If you are getting PR now as you're thinking of doing, I would advise you to start the ball rolling with your British police check now . As I have mentioned above, it took ages for mine, they were very slow in processing, sending my police check out to me. I actually went over my date that I needed to submit all my PR paperwork to the immigration here, and had to get in contact with the immigration here to explain my situation and I was waiting for my British police check. Which was not a problem, as they gave me more time to submit the form by.

Out of all the police checks I had , Aus, Singapore and Britain - the British one took about two, or three months until I received it I seem to recall ( can't remember the exact time , it was quite a few years ago now that I did mine, but it was very slow). So If I were you I'd do it now, get it out of the way.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47p.pdf

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 24th 2005 at 1:28 am.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

If you're living in Australia it makes sense to do an Australian police check anyway, some case officers might ask for it and it's a hassle if they do so at the last minute and everything is delayed.

Jeremy
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix

Also full medicals, x-rays and blood tests done in Aus.
From what I can tell I believe it's an ENS.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ceri
Yes you can get it done from here - I did, but you may need to phone Scotland Yard.
Thanks for this, I will look into getting it sorted out ASAP.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:40 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't you supposed to be working?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Thanks,

Trekrider
Hi from Melbourne. This is the Victorian situation and don't know if it differs in other states.

We're in exactly the same position and arrived here just three months (husband) one month (me and kids ago).

Our Business Visa agent (company organising this) has been given all the stuff we'd collected for skills assessment (qualifications, transcripts, etc) [you wouldn't need all this necessarily if you aren't on a business visa] and all the personal stuff (birth, marriage certs, etc, uk police checks ...).

We had a letter at the weekend requiring the following:

Police clearance certificates from Australia
UK police clearance certificates if not already supplied. (When we got them they cost about £10 each and were supplied by West Midlands Police, who were really helpful, in a matter of weeks).

Certified copies of documentation confirming previous employment during the last 3 years (company reference, statement of service, etc)

Two passport size photos of each family member.

X-Ray Examination (Form 160 to be completed) for those over age 11
HIV tests for those over age 15
Medicals for all (Form 160A to be completed).

We were advised the fees would be $305 per adult and $175 per child by EFTPOS or credit card but when I booked the medicals I was told the fees were $390 for adults and $153 for children. I only booked the medicals yesterday and got a cancelation for tomorrow. If I hadn't taken that I was told it would only be a week. A lot shorter waiting time that UK for us anyway.

We were also supposed to include previous medical reports, passports for id and previuos chest x-rays.

You don't take photos to the medicals as they do them digitally there.

If you need an update after our medicals or need info on medicare, insurance, etc for 457's you might pm me?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

If it is the UK police check, you can do it all by mail, (unless if have missed something on this thread), a copy of the form is attached - should be OK as it is the one I used for the getting my PR visa
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3019b.pdf (24.3 KB, 114 views)
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ****** eejit
If it is the UK police check, you can do it all by mail, (unless if have missed something on this thread), a copy of the form is attached - should be OK as it is the one I used for the getting my PR visa
yes that's like the one I filled out- note the one ; all documents must be original unless signed by a JP.

When I did mine years back , The form I had at the time did not have the words "unless signed by a JP" . The form I had just stated that all documents must be original , hence the reason why I had to phone them, and get their permission that I could send them photocopies as long as I get them signed, which I did.

But talk about slow getting my British police check , mine was really slow, it took a few months until I recieved it. It held up my PR application here, and I had to contact the immigration to give me some more time to submit all the paperwork.
Even the sing one was faster than the British ( and that was fingerprint job for that one :scared:. I had to go to a local police staion here in Aus and get them to put my fingerprints on the Sing application police check form lol)

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 24th 2005 at 6:22 am.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Aren't you supposed to be working?
I do get a lunch break you know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.