Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Demerit Points In OZ

Getting Demerit Points In OZ

Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Jayw1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Demerit Points In OZ

Hi i have recently been to Oz i got a letter through today i was just wondering do they transfer the Points to my UK licence. I am now in the UK Much help would be appreciated. Oh and i wasnt driving the vehicle
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting Demerit Points In OZ

No. They don't transfer. Well they didn't when my husband was caught speeding 3 years ago.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Jayw1983
Hi i have recently been to Oz i got a letter through today i was just wondering do they transfer the Points to my UK licence. I am now in the UK Much help would be appreciated. Oh and i wasnt driving the vehicle
The answer is no, they don't transfer points to a UK licence.

But if you were not driving, you can advise them of who was, and you don't get the financial penalty either.

Otherwise, if you return to Australia, and get an Aussie licence later, you 'may' get the points then.

Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks people !

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The answer is no, they don't transfer points to a UK licence.

But if you were not driving, you can advise them of who was, and you don't get the financial penalty either.

Otherwise, if you return to Australia, and get an Aussie licence later, you 'may' get the points then.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:02 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

In Victoria the points are assigned to a unique number (linked to your UK license details) and held for 3 years. If you apply for a Victorian license (within those 3 years) the points are transferred over automatically. The big issue is if you dont tell them and they have it in front of them its even bigger trouble for you
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

So say i dont ever go back to australia what will happen. in 3 yrs time i will have 3 points on my licence is that what your saying.

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
In Victoria the points are assigned to a unique number (linked to your UK license details) and held for 3 years. If you apply for a Victorian license (within those 3 years) the points are transferred over automatically. The big issue is if you dont tell them and they have it in front of them its even bigger trouble for you
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:22 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jayw1983
So say i dont ever go back to australia what will happen. in 3 yrs time i will have 3 points on my licence is that what your saying.
If you dont ever go back to Australia or decide to postpone getting a license for 3 years it will not affect you.

As this site is mainly for people emigrating to foreign shores, one would easily assume that your trip was for purposes of moving there and therefore my post could of been interest too you.

Consider this on your initial question

Different countries have different speed limits and different demerit points/schemes. How easy would it be too translate
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks again i was visiting family over there and got a letter to my UK address today. I dont plan on getting Australian licence or liveing there i was just curious incase it went on my UK licence as my job in Uk is driving. thanks

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
If you dont ever go back to Australia or decide to postpone getting a license for 3 years it will not affect you.

As this site is mainly for people emigrating to foreign shores, one would easily assume that your trip was for purposes of moving there and therefore my post could of been interest too you.

Consider this on your initial question

Different countries have different speed limits and different demerit points/schemes. How easy would it be too translate