Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a case of the wobbles a bit

Getting a case of the wobbles a bit

Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice
Default Re: Getting a case of the wobbles a bit

Originally Posted by mindblower
Same here, the reality of the sacrifes and standard of living/ comfort zone giving up.

hmmmm

Dave
I am also worried that if/when we get our visa,we have then got to put our house on the market. I think we are the only people this far down the line who havent already sold,or at least have their house on the market. That scares me.We are hoping that it wont take too long as have nice house in catchment area for good schools,but even so. We were under the impression that it would take longer to get this far than it actually has.
If I dont end up on meds by this time next year it will be a miracle
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Same here, the reality of the sacrifes and standard of living/ comfort zone giving up.

hmmmm

Dave
Stick with it Dave , there must be a reason why we are all going!

THINK POSITIVE!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:31 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
Come with an open mind, accept it for what it is. Expect nothing and everything more than that is a bonus.

That was my philosophy, and it worked for me. You couldn't pay me enough to go back now.

This is a good philosophy but subconciously most people are bound to have feelings of wanting some good to make up for all the stress of the move. Also they want to think ( fairly unrealistically) that when they move it will be halcyonic because they are getting away from their previous life & by association will unconsciously expect to be free of problems from that life (not being to lose weight easily, crap job, etc).

There is anxiety associated with the what if of finding you don't like it - this can translate into a feeling of failure, ie what is wrong with me, how could I not like this new start? There is an underlying pressure & expectation that you will like it because everyone else that doesn't experience it sees it as "living the dream".

Being aware of this doesn't make it go away magically. For some it won't be a problem. Dwelling on it won't help, especially before you've even moved. Best get on with it & see what happens. My philosophy is more or less the same: Suck it & see
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

Farrierswife

"weebles wobble but they don't fall down!"

Call me a weeble then!

It must be normal to have doubts, there's sooooo many of us on here with wobbles!!! I worry about my boys "fitting in" when (!!) we get to Oz, they're 6 and 8. We have a very comfortable life here, the boys have a better social life than hubby and I and we're taking them away from all of that and their friends - that's our biggest concern. Don't think I will ever really get my head around it!

Good luck x
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by True Blue Toffee
Farrierswife

Call me a weeble then!

It must be normal to have doubts, there's sooooo many of us on here with wobbles!!! I worry about my boys "fitting in" when (!!) we get to Oz, they're 6 and 8. We have a very comfortable life here, the boys have a better social life than hubby and I and we're taking them away from all of that and their friends - that's our biggest concern. Don't think I will ever really get my head around it!

Good luck x
Why are you doing it then? If your life is good in the UK then just make the most of it. It's a bit of a gamble traipsing half way round the world, isn't it. Surely if your kids are happy, that's the priority.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Farrierswife

Call me a weeble then!

Good luck x
Thats it though isn't it; we have a comfortable life here, why on earth are we jeopordising it for the unknown, originally my thoughts were 'buts its a great adventure', and if you don,t you'll regret it etc etc, but the adventure;within 6 months will be over as reality takes hold??
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by farrierswife
Thats it though isn't it; we have a comfortable life here, why on earth are we jeopordising it for the unknown, originally my thoughts were 'buts its a great adventure', and if you don,t you'll regret it etc etc, but the adventure;within 6 months will be over as reality takes hold??
Gosh I sound really negative, I,m not..really!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by grunty123
Why are you doing it then? If your life is good in the UK then just make the most of it. It's a bit of a gamble traipsing half way round the world, isn't it. Surely if your kids are happy, that's the priority.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Are you saying you have to have a "bad life" in the UK to want to make the move to Australia???? Call me naive but I think our boys will have a better life and be just as happy (in time), if not happier, over in Oz which is why we're making the move.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, having studied this forum for a while, it seems to me that the people who like the UK are the ones who have a better experience in Oz.

Buzzy
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:48 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In my opinion, having studied this forum for a while, it seems to me that the people who like the UK are the ones who have a better experience in Oz.

Buzzy
Seconded. It's all about that pushmepullyou factor again.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Originally Posted by Geordie George
Seconded. It's all about that pushmepullyou factor again.

Thanks for that, was beginning to think it was ME?!

We're still a long way off getting our visa and making the move, but we know it's the right one for our family.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farrierswife
Stick with it Dave , there must be a reason why we are all going!

THINK POSITIVE!
I will Farriers , the alternative ofstaying in this dump haunts me.

Lol
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, but no thanks.

Are you saying you have to have a "bad life" in the UK to want to make the move to Australia???? Call me naive but I think our boys will have a better life and be just as happy (in time), if not happier, over in Oz which is why we're making the move.
Nah I don't think you need a "bad life" to want to make a move but lots of people on this site claim that their life in the UK is bad and will somehow get sorted by coming to Oz.

Also, having lived here for a couple of years, I am interested to know why people assume it will be better for their kids. In our experience it has been a good thing to do to expand our kids horizons, but on balance it is certainly no better, probably worse than the life we had in Scotland.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

I will Farriers , the alternative ofstaying in this dump haunts me.

Lol
If where you live is a "dump", have you considered moving elsewhere in the UK?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by grunty123
Nah I don't think you need a "bad life" to want to make a move but lots of people on this site claim that their life in the UK is bad and will somehow get sorted by coming to Oz.

Also, having lived here for a couple of years, I am interested to know why people assume it will be better for their kids. In our experience it has been a good thing to do to expand our kids horizons, but on balance it is certainly no better, probably worse than the life we had in Scotland.
Hi, I dont have a bad life here in Uk,its not fantastic,we muddle along fine. I certainly dont imagine that when we get to move to Oz,that my life is going to be fantastic,living the life of posh n Becks,lying on the beach every weekend. I know that you get nothing back without putting something in,and I am prepared to work for it
I think that people hope that the Aussoe lifestyle will be better for their kids in terms of living a more outdoorsy,healthy type of life. I cant speak for anywhere else in the country ,but here,all the teenagers want to do is hang outside the local co-op till all hours,drinking cheap alcohol,and vandalising bus shelters. The nearest place for young people to go out is Bromley,and Bromley on a thu,fri,sat night is not a nice place to be. I would worry myself to death if my son came home and said he wanted to go there for the night (esp as hes only 5 ) but you get my point
I am hoping my kids will be able to grow up in a safer environment than the one they are in now,thats about it i guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.