Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting an ambulance in Oz

Getting an ambulance in Oz

Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:32 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Getting an ambulance in Oz

Just thought I'd advice anyone who hasn't got ambulance cover to get it!

Just found out that it's not covered by Medicare and we have to pay the whole amount of $257 to St. Johns, for a 21 kilometer drive!! There way no way we could get hubby into the car (bad back) so had to call the ambulance. Didn't realise we would end up footing the whole amount!?
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:36 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

How much does ambulance cover cost?
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Ambulance cover for Queensland residents

I have it on good authority (Queensland Government) that from 1 July 2003, all Queensland residents are automatically covered for the cost of ambulance services anywhere, anytime, across Australia. The cost will be included on electricity bills at about 24 cents a day - cheep at the price I'd say - we never know when we will need one.

'Call me an Ambulance - Okay - You're an Ambulance

Last edited by scotvness; Nov 17th 2003 at 9:41 am.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:41 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ambulance cover for Queensland residents

Originally posted by scotvness
I have it on good authority (Queensland Government) that from 1 July 2003, all Queensland residents are automatically covered for the cost of ambulance services anywhere, anytime, across Australia. The cost will be included on electricity bills at about 24 cents a day - cheep at the price I'd say - we never know when we will need one.

What a good idea, wonder if W.A will do it, maybe in another 10 years or so?

I think you can ambulance cover from as little as $100 a year? Which I didn't realise I would need till now. Never mind another lesson learnt!!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of the sign -

For sale - 2 budgerigars, going cheep

On a serious note that is a bargain for the ambulance cover. The experience of the Countess of Wessex in the UK has also brought the issue of ambulance response times to the forefront of debate here.

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:42 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Great.

Hmm. I take it you are covered if you are renting....i suppose you are as long as you pay the water bill? I'll look into it....
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
How much does ambulance cover cost?
Pete, ambulance cover in Qld is now included as a part of your electricity bill. Its charged at 24c/day, average bills are every 90 days, so about $22/quarter or $88/year.

No idea about other states.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:53 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting an ambulance in Oz

Originally posted by janeyray
Just thought I'd advice anyone who hasn't got ambulance cover to get it!

Just found out that it's not covered by Medicare and we have to pay the whole amount of $257 to St. Johns, for a 21 kilometer drive!! There way no way we could get hubby into the car (bad back) so had to call the ambulance. Didn't realise we would end up footing the whole amount!?
You would assume if you had to pay for a service, that you could also expect a certain standard, was it you Jane that had the ambulance men making fun of your husband . Tell them your knocking off 20% for poor professionalism
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

We paid $95 for a year's cover in Vic. That covers me and my hubby, but I think it was 'family' cover, (so presumably if we had kids, they would be covered in the $95 as well).
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Calling an ambulance out in SA will cost you something like $500 - $600. One was called for my son last year when he had a car crash but as he never actually got in it and was attended at the side of the road he was not charged.

Ambulance cover is about $80 a year through St John, and if you are on a Health Care Card as a low income earner you will not have to pay at all.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:50 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Pete, ambulance cover in Qld is now included as a part of your electricity bill. Its charged at 24c/day, average bills are every 90 days, so about $22/quarter or $88/year.

No idea about other states.
I think this is a bit unfair. take for instance there is only two of us.. a bloke in work has 8 people in his household (6 kids and two adults).

And what about that guy who's kicking up because he is paying two lots, one on his home, one for his Bribie business.

There's even one bloke (may be the Bribie man) who has bought a generator not to have any more electricity.. taking a stand on this issue. I don't blame him.. not that I'd even consider doing something like that.. I like my modern appliances too much

I do think it's a bit unfair if you have only one person in a household compared to the next house which may have four or five people paying exactly the same amount as a single person. so in the long run the households that only house one or two people are contributing the most to the coffers. While if you have a brood of people in one house - you are laughing.
cheers
Old Nov 18th 2003, 1:05 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ceri
I think this is a bit unfair. take for instance there is only two of us.. a bloke in work has 8 people in his household (6 kids and two adults).

And what about that guy who's kicking up because he is paying two lots, one on his home, one for his Bribie business.

There's even one bloke (may be the Bribie man) who has bought a generator not to have any more electricity.. taking a stand on this issue. I don't blame him.. not that I'd even consider doing something like that.. I like my modern appliances too much

I do think it's a bit unfair if you have only one person in a household compared to the next house which may have four or five people paying exactly the same amount as a single person. so in the long run the households that only house one or two people are contributing the most to the coffers. While if you have a brood of people in one house - you are laughing.
cheers
That's exactly the reasoning used for the Poll Tax in the UK, when Maggie was a girl in short skirts. What did you think of the reasoning then?

As a single (at the time) bloke in his own home I objected strenuously to having to support the houseful of EIGHT noisy buggers next door.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 2:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The west needs more kiddies to support the growing geriatric population and their increasingly expensive healthcare needs. I think kids need to be subsidised more. There is a time bomb ticking away and at the moment the politicians have their heads in the sand as the measures needed to correct it are very expensive.

Hopefully the old farts will realise this and pay the necesary taxes but I doubt it. The attitiude will be "i have paid taxes all my life why should I pay anymore". Answer is if you want a doctor to look after you you we had all better get coughing up now and radically rethink the way we are currently funding our future.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 3:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by downunderpom
That's exactly the reasoning used for the Poll Tax in the UK, when Maggie was a girl in short skirts. What did you think of the reasoning then?

As a single (at the time) bloke in his own home I objected strenuously to having to support the houseful of EIGHT noisy buggers next door.

sorry , I disagreed with the poll tax , I didn't pay it .. I actually took a stand on the issue,( I didn't agree with the way it was valued). That was until they started to take it out of my wages.. I went up the wall - actually I went down to county hall and blew up with them... I got chucked out.. .lol I still owe for poll tax.. when I left the country I wrote them a letter basically telling them to "b*gger off as I'm leaving the country"
Apparently, they can still catch up with you for monies owing... so I'm not out of the woods.

Funny thing is , a lot of the people who took a stand the most were the old people (old war veterans etc) - there were quite a few of them prepared to go to jail, but the government even took that right away from them.. they took it out of their pensions.

cheers

P.S I do not see why my taxes should go to a household full of people who are on the dole.., who usually bring their kids up this way too. ie they usually follow in their parents footsteps.. learning how you do not need to work learning the ins and outs of claiming, there are handouts for everything just for sitting on your ar@e.

What the west needs is to abolish half of these hand outs. i.e more people working, paying tax from their wages that could then go into the hospitals and looking after the elderly.. not mass lazy b*ggers who sit on the dole who cost the western nations millions upon millions for sitting on their fat arses. (disclaimer.. some people do genuinely need hand outs)
Old Nov 18th 2003, 3:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
sorry , I disagreed with the poll tax , I didn't pay it .. I actually took a stand on the issue,( I didn't agree with the way it was valued). That was until they started to take it out of my wages.. I went up the wall - actually I went down to county hall and blew up with them... I got chucked out.. .lol I still owe for poll tax.. when I left the country I wrote them a letter basically telling them to "b*gger off as I'm leaving the country"
Apparently, they can still catch up with you for monies owing... so I'm not out of the woods.

Funny thing is , a lot of the people who took a stand the most were the old people (old war veterans etc) - there were quite a few of them prepared to go to jail, but the government even took that right away from them.. they took it out of their pensions.

cheers

P.S I do not see why my taxes should go to a household full of people who are on the dole.., who usually bring their kids up this way too. ie they usually follow in their parents footsteps.. learning how you do not need to work learning the ins and outs of claiming, there are handouts for everything just for sitting on your ar@e.

What the west needs is to abolish half of these hand outs. i.e more people working, paying tax from their wages that could then go into the hospitals and looking after the elderly.. not mass lazy b*ggers who sit on the dole who cost the western nations millions upon millions for sitting on their fat arses. (disclaimer.. some people do genuinely need hand outs)
There are ways to subsidise without hand outs. Try tax credits. You have to ask who is going to look after all the oldies. There are not enough doctors and majority of those available now will be retiring and out of the workforce.

I have no idea how to deal with over productive single mums who do not support themselves but starving them out of existence is not the option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.