Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

get rid of pop ups?

get rid of pop ups?

Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default get rid of pop ups?

I had in a magazine some months ago on how to get rid of pop ups that appear on the computer by ticking some boxes etc but i can find that magazine or remember what to do and they are annoying me when i am online.

can any help me out here.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:16 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Default Re: get rid of pop ups?

Originally posted by brian.w
I had in a magazine some months ago on how to get rid of pop ups that appear on the computer by ticking some boxes etc but i can find that magazine or remember what to do and they are annoying me when i am online.

Brian,

I had this problem and posted something last week, do a search on the forum the replies all have some good suggestions. I don't get hardly any pop ups now.

Jo
Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Brian,

Go to www.panicware.com and download the freeware pop up blocker from their site. It has stopped all the annoying popups for me and is easy to install and configure.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 5:42 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

zone alarm not only a good fire wall but excellent ad stopper if you set it on high...I dont get any...
I dont have a download for it though
Old Jan 26th 2004, 5:58 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

We had this a while ago. I did post a fix back in August, it didn't work for everyone, but I've got windows xp and aol 8.0 and I have not had a single pop up since.

Here's a link to the thread.

Steve.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the feature in the Google tool bar. Apparently microsoft will introduce it as a feature of Internet Explorer. It will certainly shaft a lot of web sites advertising revenues.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:48 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
I use the feature in the Google tool bar. Apparently microsoft will introduce it as a feature of Internet Explorer. It will certainly shaft a lot of web sites advertising revenues.
same here, it gives a satisfying click sound when a pop up is blocked and keeps a tally of your total blocks to date, mine is running at 2921 since i formatted my HD a few months ago.

Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:15 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

There`s another free app called `popup killer` which is absolutely brilliant. It has a little lightning bolt icon, and you can add url`s in (by double-clicking) to it`s banned list.

couldn`t find a url for it (loads of `popup-killers` out there), but here`s a url for a site listing loads...

http://www.1stopspam.com/stopspam/Po...ers/index.html
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally posted by bondipom
With the goggle one if you do need to allow pop ups through for any reason, eg survey/poll results, you do need to press the ctrl key at that time.

However, with this Windows XP they dont seem to come through.

Cheers,

Majj