Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Get a Nationwide Credit Card while in UK

Get a Nationwide Credit Card while in UK

Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Re: Get a Nationwide Credit Card while in UK

Originally Posted by lacey21
Ok Woogle took your advice adn phoned up Nationwide now I have the papers and am going a head getting a nationwide account, the one from the Yorkshire is too complicated, so I am doing this instead.

thanks for the imput woogle and I hope the house sale is going through great. Hugs to Anne also

hugs Lace x

Hi lace,
House sale still on,but still waiting for buyers b/soc to arrange valuation.so still early days.
I was going to go to Yorkshire bank tomorrow to check them out,can I ask why it was too complicated?
Might save me a trip.
Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

wrote you a PM
woogle x

hugs Lace x
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:15 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Will have to check for cirus card sign in Aus as mine in the debit card..will get back to you.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you PM Anne
lace x
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:32 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

yes we have th Cirrus and the Maestro sign down under too so you have no problems there :-)
Old Nov 21st 2005, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Dearey deary me!

I hear what you are all saying, believe me I do, and I am 'astounded' at how willing you all are to take on debt!!!!!!

Now dont get me wrong, we all need to borrow money to get through life (mortgage, business etc....) but, c'mon guys...........

I have seriously managed to live without credit (or the need for it) for the last 10 years now!

Big purchases? Simple......withdraw the cash! You'd be surprised how many companies are willing to do a discount for cash!

As for 'protection'....who
needs it? Use your nowse [sp] when making purchases!

All those of you who say, 'but we pay in full every month'.....just wait til hubby gets made redundant!

Can hear you now, 'oh, we'll just use it this once blah blah........'

Slipery slope indeed and not a slope I choose to utilise!

Personal opinions again, of course
As others have said on here, you MUST use a credit card for buying anything online/over the phone.
EFTPOS (the equivalent of Switch) is not accepted online or over the phone.
Since being in Oz I have had to use a credit card for such things as internal flights, buying tickets for gigs/sporting events, accommodation, booking organised trips etc.
You don't have a choice in the matter - if you don't have a credit card you can't book em, simple as that!!!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:36 am

Yes we have used credit card for quite a few things online, we have also signed up for visa AU debit card that can be used online but dearer than Credit Card to use.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

stockers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
yes we have th Cirrus and the Maestro sign down under too so you have no problems there :-)
cool, thanks - that's great to know!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

stockers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lacey21
Sent you PM Anne
lace x
I think the debit card is okay to use in all ATMs, its just the cash card (one step down from a debit card) that can only be used with Cirrus, so all should be okay for you

Debbie
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:11 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
To all of you still in UK, if you haven't already got one get a Nationwide Credit Card as is the cheapest card to use abroad as doesn't charge extra on exchange rate and no commision fee.

So when you get to Aus and can't get a Credit Card you can use it for cheap GBP spending when you first get here as long as you have left some money in a UK bank account ... any bank account as long as you have arranged with Nationwide for CC to be paid by Direct Debit.

You will need to do all of this a few months before coming to Aus as will need to sign all the usual forms etc. to get cards and wait for them to come etc. also may need few trips to Nationwide branch to sign for things and prove identity. Then forget to tell them you have moved to Aus for good.

Also worth getting Nationwide Flex Account as also cheapest way to get dosh abroad.

For more info see...
http://money.guardian.co.uk/travel/s...514104,00.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-...6&in_page_id=9

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...messid=5166646

So to all you soon to be expats use those last few months to sign up to Nationwide.

Thanks for that, went into Nationwide this morning and applied for the Flex account and the credit card. Much happy spending in oz. Cheers.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:23 pm

We have used our Nationwide card in all ATM's from Cairns to Surfers without problems...some will even give you your account balance in dollars. On several occasions we took out $500 each without problems as well.

Once you get here I personally recoment the HSBC, we started with Commonwealth and they charge for everything.

If you are in HSBC in UK ask them to open you a Foriegn Currency holding Account and keep your money in pounds then once here you can bring it across via internet when you want bit by bit instead of big lump sum and catch the market at it's highest.

Can't open HSBC acount in UK if you don't already have one, but you can leave your money in UK bank come to Aus open the HSBC Foriegn Currency account then transfer you dosh to it once you've opened it.

I don't work for HSBC just find they charge a lot less and a lot more helpfull and less big machine than Commonwealth who only want to know you while you have loads of money.