Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Germaine Greer on Oz. Too close for comfort

Germaine Greer on Oz. Too close for comfort

Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Germaine Greer on Oz. Too close for comfort

Time to pull the pin on yet another grenade...

I've just read Ms Greer's comments on Oz (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html) and having lived here for 12+ years, I believe she is pretty close to the mark.

As usual she is over the top, but her article helps to explain why 1 in 20 Aussies don't live in Australia.

I came to Oz with an open mind, but I've realised that - for me - the much greater depth and variety of things Up Over are very important. And they increased in importance as I got older.

Australian reaction to her article (especially the PM's) has been as expected. The words "self-criticism" and "Australia" don't often appear in the same sentence.

There are lots of things I like about Oz - and Australians are friendly and helpful.

But, in the end, the insular, parochial nature of Australia and its obsession with sports (why, oh why, does Australian of the Year have to be a sportsman??) means that we have decided to leave this planet and return to Earth.

Yes, Europe is overcrowded, dirty, expensive, but there's so much more to experience than Down Under.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jan 27th 2004 at 5:18 am.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:49 am
Just Joined

cols is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Germaine Greer on Oz. Too close for comfort

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...087996541.html

SMH are running a poll on this article. The majority (39%) voted for "who really cares?" when asked for their opinion on Greer's article. Pretty much confirms what she was saying about Australians in the article then.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

[i]Pretty much confirms what she was saying about Australians in the article then.
Germaine is her own publicity machine and picks the end of the silly season to launch her tirades. Gee the SMH has been skinny lately.

Most women do something visually provocative to attract attention. Gers is a bit past that by now.

She needs the media; the media needs her. Especially when the ad sales are slow.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:59 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Time to pull the pin on yet another grenade...

I've just read Ms Greer's comments on Oz (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html) and having lived here for 12+ years, I believe she is pretty close to the mark.

As usual she is over the top, but her article helps to explain why 1 in 20 Aussies don't live in Australia.

I came to Oz with an open mind, but I've realised that - for me - the much greater depth and variety of things Up Over are very important. And they increased in importance as I got older.

Australian reaction to her article (especially the PM's) has been as expected. The words "self-criticism" and "Australia" don't often appear in the same sentence.

There are lots of things I like about Oz - and Australians are friendly and helpful.

But, in the end, the insular, parochial nature of Australia and its obsession with sports (why, oh why, does Australian of the Year have to be a sportsman??) means that we have decided to leave this planet and return to Earth.

Yes, Europe is overcrowded, dirty, expensive, but there's so much more to experience than Down Under.
Hope you chucked the right bit