Geocaching.

Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:00 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Geocaching.

We thought about getting into this in the UK but didn't get round to it and are now revisiting the idea- and it really appeals

Anyone here do it? Anyone recommend where to get a reasonable priced GPS?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geocaching.

Yes, I am - but not as much now in Oz as there are so many other things to do. As far as I know, I still hold the UK record for the only 'cacher' to have found geocaches on 5 continents!

How you go about starting will depend a bit one where you are based?

There is the original www.geocaching.com website, plus Australian geocaching at www.geocaching.com.au they have their own and some overlapping caches.

As regards what GPS. Defo go for a Garmin as they have the best operation and the most software and add ons available. Generally, a car GPS is useless, you need a purpose made walking or portable marine GPS.

Many cachers use the basic Etrex https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705 which will certainly get you started. in the future, you may want to consider a unit that can handle map uploads. I typically use GPSMap 76c https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=350. then you may want to consider a PDA, so that you can go 'paperless' and carry the cache details and clues with you electronically, rather than reams of paper.

However, there are people that enjoy Geocaching without a GPS! They just go off paper maps and teh clues, so don't be put off by thinking you need to buy loads of gadgets.

Once again, let us know where you are.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:41 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

We started Geocaching when we got to Australia. Such a great way to learn about your area and find some stunning out of the way places. We have found some awesome beaches and national parks around Victoria through it.

We just use my Nokia Navigator 6110 phone with inbuilt GPS. I'm sure an iPhone or any other GPS will work just as well. To be honest they are not as accurate (to the inch sort of thing) as the dedicated Garmin's but you can get within 3m-5m of the cache and then it's just a treasure hunt.

I dropped of four Travel Bugs in London on a trip home in October 2007, one for each of us. My wifes eventually made it all the way around the world and back to a cache in Victoria not 20 mins from where we are now. My sons one travelled all over Germany, France and Spain before heading all over the East Coast US (even staying in a famous American Football Stadium) and finally ending up on a little island off the coast of Cancun in Mexico. My other sons one is in Mallorca in the Med right now and mine is deep in a forest in Sweden.

I've done caches in the UK, Europe, Australia and the US so far

We have had some real fun adventures doing it and the kids LOVE it.

Al
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I used one of these, it's great

We did it for about a year. My 2 girls hated it and my son is only interested in Nintendo DS and Wii at the moment. Which is a shame as I used to love it.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:04 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies- dh and I have been following the links and swotting up and it really looks like something we'd all enjoy. 11 yr old dd agrees
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Make contact with these guys http://www.thehancocksdownunder.com/ they are mad expat cachers!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:26 am
---

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Make contact with these guys http://www.thehancocksdownunder.com/ they are mad expat cachers!

Thank you, I will

We're in Newcastle, btw
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Thank you, I will

We're in Newcastle, btw
Why not try to attend this event http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...spx?wp=GC1N6R5

to help you get a feel for things, we won't be there as we are moving in to our new house that week, but looks like The Hancocks will be.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
We thought about getting into this in the UK but didn't get round to it and are now revisiting the idea- and it really appeals

Anyone here do it? Anyone recommend where to get a reasonable priced GPS?
I bought the 'geocaching for dummies' book. Would like to take it up when I get to OZ - eventually!