Reload this Page >

Decisions decisions!!

Decisions decisions!!

Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:22 am
Just Joined

gallybagger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decisions decisions!!

Hi everyone!!

Just joined the forum, came back from Oz on holiday recently. Found out while I was there the place I work in the UK had gone into administration. Started looking at the lifestyle in Oz and loved it. I have no ties here...no mortgage, single, 25 years old etc. Seems ideal to head out there!

Been researching lots but end up with more questions the more I learn.

I have 3 months before I'm out of work. From what I can gather its likely to take between 12-18 months for a permanent skilled migration visa. Was thinking of the possibility of going on a 12 month holiday working visa, getting a low paying job just to keep me ticking by, then in the 6 month with each employer allowance, try to find a more permanent position whilst applying for the skilled migration visa. Anyone tried this? is this illegal?

Still cant decide where in Oz to head to as a starting point. Ive been to Gold coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Gee-long and stayed with friends in most of these places so having friends nearby will make it easier to settle.

As for the career side of things...the specific industry I work in is rare (semiconductor manufacturing - electro-mechanical equipment engineering). So I think I will have to change industry to some other kind of manufacturing. Anyone on this forum in the manufacturing industries? everyone seems to be in the construction trade! thinking of doing an electrician course as work seems plentiful and im already qualified in electrical/electronic engineering so getting licensed shouldn't be too tough (maybe a week intensive course) anyone here made the same conversion?

Dont know if anyone can answer these questions but it sure feels good to unload them somewhere!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decisions decisions!!

Originally Posted by gallybagger
Hi everyone!!

Just joined the forum, came back from Oz on holiday recently. Found out while I was there the place I work in the UK had gone into administration. Started looking at the lifestyle in Oz and loved it. I have no ties here...no mortgage, single, 25 years old etc. Seems ideal to head out there!

Been researching lots but end up with more questions the more I learn.

I have 3 months before I'm out of work. From what I can gather its likely to take between 12-18 months for a permanent skilled migration visa. Was thinking of the possibility of going on a 12 month holiday working visa, getting a low paying job just to keep me ticking by, then in the 6 month with each employer allowance, try to find a more permanent position whilst applying for the skilled migration visa. Anyone tried this? is this illegal?

Still cant decide where in Oz to head to as a starting point. Ive been to Gold coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Gee-long and stayed with friends in most of these places so having friends nearby will make it easier to settle.

As for the career side of things...the specific industry I work in is rare (semiconductor manufacturing - electro-mechanical equipment engineering). So I think I will have to change industry to some other kind of manufacturing. Anyone on this forum in the manufacturing industries? everyone seems to be in the construction trade! thinking of doing an electrician course as work seems plentiful and im already qualified in electrical/electronic engineering so getting licensed shouldn't be too tough (maybe a week intensive course) anyone here made the same conversion?

Dont know if anyone can answer these questions but it sure feels good to unload them somewhere!
Working holiday visa sounds a good idea, given your single and the current work situation probably wont worry you as much as man wife kids mortage situation heavy stuff.

Getting re-qualified in OZ in a week erm maybe not. Look I dont know your trade but my sons an electrical apprentice, ( 4 years then redundant due to economic situation ) and its not an easy trade to qualify for, even if your a fully qual UK elec, think there is a electricians forum, have a look at that.

Probably pick some fruit for a year while working out the rest of it.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Electricians forum here . Certainly isn't as simple as a weeks course, I'm afraid.
First thing you need to do though is some reading on www.immi.gov.au and see if your current skills will get you a permanent visa.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried looking on seek to see if there are any vacancies in your particular field ?
have you thought about trying for sponsorship?
When you have had a look at the immi website, worth having a chat with an immigration agent. Initial consult usually free & should give you an idea of your options.

Lots of luck, you are in an enviable position being young, free & single & eligible for a WHV, so go enjoy