Geelong

Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

bearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the rough
Default Geelong

Planning to move to Geelong next January on a student visa and despite endless hours research on the net I'd be grateful if anyone can help with any of the following:-

Are medical exams and xrays always required for student visas > 12 months? Immi web site is contradictory - suggests they are but then tells you not to arrange them until told to do so.

Any suggestions for accommodation for first couple of weeks would be welcome - for a family of 4 and as cheap as possible!

We're thinking about Newtown/Geelong West for renting longer term. Anyone know these areas or have any better ideas?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of
Default Re: Geelong

Originally Posted by bearstocats
Planning to move to Geelong next January on a student visa and despite endless hours research on the net I'd be grateful if anyone can help with any of the following:-

Are medical exams and xrays always required for student visas > 12 months? Immi web site is contradictory - suggests they are but then tells you not to arrange them until told to do so.

Any suggestions for accommodation for first couple of weeks would be welcome - for a family of 4 and as cheap as possible!

We're thinking about Newtown/Geelong West for renting longer term. Anyone know these areas or have any better ideas?
Hi,
We fly out in just under 2 weeks now and are heading for Geelong.

We found accommodation using this link to see us through the first week.

http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced...rrencyCode=AUD

We are hoping to settle in Highton having researched Geelong a lot over the last 3 years. Having spoken to many people from the area, no one has said a bad thing about Highton.

With regards to the meds, I think the reason they say not to do them until asked is so that they don't expire before you get the visa's.

We almost came unstuck ourselves here (although we are PR not student visa). We front loaded our med's, x-rays and PC's since everything was going through OK last year then suddenly our application, through no fault of our own or DIAC's, was put on hold. We ended up putting in a second application. We finally got our visa's a few days ago but because our med's expire on Oct 1st, it is a mad rush now for us to validate before they expire.

I hope this helps.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

bearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the rough

Cheers for the link, I'll have a browse.

We chose Newtown/Geelong West because they're near to the college my wife is going to and haven't looked at Highton but will check it out. Would be really interested to hear how you get on once you get there if you have the time to post (like you'll have nothing else to do!!). We already getting excited and we've a few months and a mountain of paperwork to go, you must be hyper.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

I'm sure we will be posting our progress as soon as we have internet access