G'day from MEL!

Old May 8th 2003, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh dear, i think i may of struck a cord!

Thank you pb for not using big words, as i am not as intelligent as your good self and would of struggled to conceptualise them.
iI admit to your discription of myself as a looser, for i am absconding ASAP from uk leaving a trail of unhappiness, disponancy and bad memories. When i arrive in Australia, i will live a quiet unassumming life, in a place that will not hold any past pain. In the UK i work in child protection, and my heart breaks eveyday, i wanted to "make a difference", but alas i feel i failed, too much cruelness, too much suffereing. i don't intend to work in child protection in oz, i intend to spend quality time with my own children and use my experience and skills in working with parents on a preventitive model.

I know there is pain and suffering all over the world, but i am tired of this country and like many others on this site i feel that, you only have one life, it is not a rehearsal, so if your not happy you should do something about it, as my dear granny said, "live for today because tommorow never comes"

cheers.
Old May 9th 2003, 12:22 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ellen1
oh dear, i think i may of struck a cord!

Thank you pb for not using big words, as i am not as intelligent as your good self and would of struggled to conceptualise them.
iI admit to your discription of myself as a looser, for i am absconding ASAP from uk leaving a trail of unhappiness, disponancy and bad memories. When i arrive in Australia, i will live a quiet unassumming life, in a place that will not hold any past pain. In the UK i work in child protection, and my heart breaks eveyday, i wanted to "make a difference", but alas i feel i failed, too much cruelness, too much suffereing. i don't intend to work in child protection in oz, i intend to spend quality time with my own children and use my experience and skills in working with parents on a preventitive model.

I know there is pain and suffering all over the world, but i am tired of this country and like many others on this site i feel that, you only have one life, it is not a rehearsal, so if your not happy you should do something about it, as my dear granny said, "live for today because tommorow never comes"

cheers.
Like it a girl with wit and a good left hook , shame about the tales of woe not unlike what goes on here , in fact the Abo kids would even break whats left of your heart.

You are yet another dreamer and I am sorry to say Australia can be a far harder country its people have less compassion than the UK.
So it comes down to you want a bolt hole in a place that is not on this planet , good luck too you .
The weak will go to the wall here too , the average Aussie pops far more happy pills from the Doctor per head of population than the UK , I find it interesting that deluded souls like yourself seem to think Australia is a play ground and an escape from the rest of the world .

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 9th 2003 at 2:23 am.
Old May 9th 2003, 2:21 am
Bilbo

Default Suicide rates

Suicide Rates

Country Year Males Females

AUS _ 99 _ 21.2 _ 5.1
CAN _ 97 _ 19.6 _ 5.1
NZ_ _ 98 _ 23.7 _ 6.9
UK_ _ 99 _ 11.8 _ 3.3
USA _ 98 _ 18.6 _ 4.4

Old May 9th 2003, 2:53 am
Bilbo

Default Antidepressant Usage Rates

Recent trends in the use of antidepressant drugs in Australia, 1990-1998

"Most developed countries have seen similar trends, with sales in Australia consistent with US sales and slightly higher than those in the UK. The percentage that the SSRIs represented of total antidepressant use in Australia in 1998 was similar to that in the United Kingdom."

In 1998, sales of antidepressants - DDDs/1000 population per day:
AUS 34.2
USA 34.2
Sweden 37.1
France 36
Canada 30.8
UK 30.4
Germany 12
Italy 9.9
The rate of increase in Australia between 1993 and 1998 was second only to that of Sweden.

Last edited by Bilbo; May 9th 2003 at 2:56 am.

Old May 9th 2003, 4:14 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Antidepressant Usage Rates

Originally posted by Bilbo
Recent trends in the use of antidepressant drugs in Australia, 1990-1998

"Most developed countries have seen similar trends, with sales in Australia consistent with US sales and slightly higher than those in the UK. The percentage that the SSRIs represented of total antidepressant use in Australia in 1998 was similar to that in the United Kingdom."

In 1998, sales of antidepressants - DDDs/1000 population per day:
AUS 34.2
USA 34.2
Sweden 37.1
France 36
Canada 30.8
UK 30.4
Germany 12
Italy 9.9
The rate of increase in Australia between 1993 and 1998 was second only to that of Sweden.

If you look at 2002 figures I think WA has the highest use in the world and the kids are junked up too?

Old May 9th 2003, 5:49 am
Bilbo

Originally posted by pommie bastard
If you look at 2002 figures I think WA has the highest use in the world and the kids are junked up too?

Your source?

Old May 9th 2003, 6:29 am
Banned

Originally posted by Bilbo
Your source?
Must look it up try this it has gone up since , its an old report.

Western Australia has a very high incidence of alleged ADD and in 1994 there were some 12000 prescriptions made. By June 1996 it was estimated that up to 15,000 WA children had been prescribed ADD drugs.

Old May 9th 2003, 6:39 am
Bilbo

Earlier posted by pommie bastard

Western Australia has a very high incidence of alleged ADD and in 1994 there were some 12000 prescriptions made. By June 1996 it was estimated that up to 15,000 WA children had been prescribed ADD drugs.

There are many media reports on ADD but rarely facts. Do you have a reference to 2002 figures comparing WA to the world?

Old May 9th 2003, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: G'day from MEL!

Hi Kaff,
Good to hear a success story, I am fairly new to the forum and it is nice to hear positive feedback from a first hand experience
It certainly sounds like you have adapted nicely.
Anyway congratulations on settling in successfully & I hope you continue to enjoy your new life in Melbourne.

Diane

Perth hopefully 2004

Old May 9th 2003, 8:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard

MY son has add and dyspraxia, we made a choice not to do the drug thing. We treat him as a normal child with extra strict boundries, its hard work, but works (most of the time )
Don't really know what my point is, except people do have a choice with their kids future, it would be interesting to see the facts PB
Old May 11th 2003, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: G'day from MEL!

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
Hi Kaff,
Good to hear a success story, I am fairly new to the forum and it is nice to hear positive feedback from a first hand experience
It certainly sounds like you have adapted nicely.
Anyway congratulations on settling in successfully & I hope you continue to enjoy your new life in Melbourne.

Diane

Perth hopefully 2004

Hi Diane!

Thanks! Yeah, we've settled really well! and welcome to the forum!

You may have noticed the few 'Trolls' as they've come to be known, that haunt this group, and like to slag off any positive posts, but generally its a great bunch of people that all give help, advice and moral support, throughout the migration process.
I hope your Application goes through smoothly and quickly and good luck with your move to Perth!

Best wishes
Old May 11th 2003, 1:38 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hummm interesting figures you've been there for 9 years you say and ADD's have gone through the roof I can't help thinking there's a link between the two.
Old May 11th 2003, 11:58 pm
Banned

Originally posted by cresta57
Hummm interesting figures you've been there for 9 years you say and ADD's have gone through the roof I can't help thinking there's a link between the two.
You may be right never known as many pill poppers in my life until we came here , my wife hurt her back at work and the first medication she was offered was happy pills.
As for the ADD junkies that may have links to high rates of youth suicides.