Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PB - very puzzled

PB - very puzzled

Old May 9th 2003, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PB - very puzzled

PB' I understand you have lived in Aus for several years and are now moving back to the U.K.- WHY!!!!

I have read several of your posts and most of them seem to complain about how bad things are in Australia and fair enough this is maybe how things are for you.

But what do you think you will gain or how will your quality of life improve by coming back here?

Aus has great weather - ours is mainly crap
" " " beaches - " " " "
Aus has 20 million people we have 60 million and in a much smaller space so the law of averages tells you that there are 3 times as many people to rain on your parade - i.e murder you; rape you; rob you; batter you etc....

same sums tell you traffic must be much worse, road works ,road rage all worse.

£150,000 gets you a big house with land in Aus - over here large terrace or very small semi with tiny garden.
Massive council taxes 100,000 asylum seekers per year, I could go on and on.

The point is this - Why the U.K? there must be other countries you could go

Very puzzled

Alex
Old May 9th 2003, 12:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PB - very puzzled

Originally posted by alextoo
PB' I understand you have lived in Aus for several years and are now moving back to the U.K.- WHY!!!!

I have read several of your posts and most of them seem to complain about how bad things are in Australia and fair enough this is maybe how things are for you.

But what do you think you will gain or how will your quality of life improve by coming back here?

Aus has great weather - ours is mainly crap
" " " beaches - " " " "
Aus has 20 million people we have 60 million and in a much smaller space so the law of averages tells you that there are 3 times as many people to rain on your parade - i.e murder you; rape you; rob you; batter you etc....

same sums tell you traffic must be much worse, road works ,road rage all worse.

£150,000 gets you a big house with land in Aus - over here large terrace or very small semi with tiny garden.
Massive council taxes 100,000 asylum seekers per year, I could go on and on.

The point is this - Why the U.K? there must be other countries you could go

Very puzzled

Alex
What do you value in life your family , a good job, freedom of travel , a living wage ?
Australia lets in far more people than the UK its population is fast creating a suburbian waste land , plus they use immigration to keep wage levels low .
Even with a so called boom on unemployment is greater than the UK so why bring in more refugees?
The UK has free health care and even with the drawbacks the NHS is better run than the dogs dinner here , its health by wealth.
Living in the Uk Europe is on your door step bugger all here , took me 7 mins to get work in the UK , this morning with the fog in Perth 40 mins to go not much farther than I used travel in the UK , it would have been better to cycle if the chance of being knocked over by the wonderful drivers where not so great.
All benefits including the old age pension are means tested here , we could never afford to retire here.
If you are stupid enough to think thats theres no crime here , I give up with you.
Enjoy being a refugee your view of Australia is beyond hope I am not runing back after a holiday I have lived in both countries and you have this land of plenty its worthless to me.

Todays headlines in WA , what is is different? this is not the Sun its very pro Australian paper.

YESTERDAY was the Gallop Government's chance to regain some ground and convince the punters that it has control of the things that matter - health, education and law and order

GOVERNOR-GENERAL Peter Hollingworth has been forced to make a public denial unprecedented in vice-regal office after being accused of rape.

SCHOOL leavers heading to Rottnest will be cordoned off for their post-exam celebrations.
The change was made in response to concerns from other holidaymakers about noise, disruptive and antisocial behaviour

STAR police rollover witness L5 denied at the Kennedy royal commission yesterday that he had a grudge or vendetta against the many police officers he had named as corrupt.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 9th 2003 at 2:18 am.
Old May 9th 2003, 8:13 am
Bilbo

Originally posted by pommie bastard
All benefits including the old age pension are means tested here , we could never afford to retire here.
UK State Pension

UK Extra rules for people coming from abroad

UK Minimum Income Guarantee

The UK Minimum Income Guarantee pays:
£7790 for a couple,
£5100 for a single person per year.

AU How much do I need
The AU Old Age Pension pays:
$18,636 for a couple, (£7454)
$11,164 for a single person per year. (£4466)

Old May 9th 2003, 9:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Just skim read....but the gist of it seems to be that you are only eligible for NI based pensions after you have worked the two years before you intend to claim?

That right?

Pete.
Old May 9th 2003, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard
What do you value in life your family , a good job, freedom of travel , a living wage ?

I understand where you are coming from PB.

We left South Africa 10 years ago and came to the UK, (I was born in the UK, so was already an expat) by the end of the first year our new years resolution was to be back in South Africa by the following year. We had left the country with all the problems it had - (crime, guns, car hijacking, education etc.) for all the right reasons, but we came to the conclusion that all of those "material" things made no difference because we were really missing our family and friends and that was what was important in life. However, after a holiday back in SA early that year we realised within hours of being back in the country that we could no longer live there. The country had moved on and we hadn't moved with it. We came back to the UK after that holiday far more settled and were able to make peace with our new lives in England.

10 years on, we feel that we are ready to move again, Australia seems like a good choice for us as a family, we will definitely have the "grieving" period again for our friends and my family who are now all here in the UK, but we are not 100% happy in the UK and we feel the country has changed since we first arrived. We are battling to have the lifestyle we desire here, a lot to do with the fact that we grew up in a hot climate and long for the outdoor lifestyle we once knew.

My point to you, PB is come back to the UK with open eyes, the country will be different to when you left, once the honeymoon period wears off, your life will probably be much the same as it is now, other than that you will have those ever important relationship factors back in your life. I am a great believer that we are the key holders to our own happiness, when something is not going right for us we try to blame our environment or people around us, when in reality we should look at ourselves and see if it isn't something about us that needs changing.

Best of luck to you when you do return, and I hope that you can give us your advice on this forum regarding pitfalls for the new migrant in Oz, in your opinion, without always reverting to a slanging match. I have been surprised at some of your posts, sometimes you can be really helpful, but other times you just dish out dirt.

PS. You're not interested in buying a nice 3 bed semi detached in Ongar are you? Beautiful views across our beautiful English countryside!

Hazel
Old May 9th 2003, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point

PB - of course I realize there is crime in Aus and all the other things that mean that wherever you live it is not a perfect world.

However the point I made was that whatever problems you have in Aus you can multiply them several times when you compare them in the U.K.
You don't have to be a maths wizard to do the sums.

Some of your posts although negative are informative, some are even funny (the ferrari one) but you constantly accuse people moving to Aus of being dreamers. The truth is that when you return to the U.K you will get a very rude awakening and realize that you are not the prodigal son.

Next time you look in the mirror take a long hard look - perhaps you will then see the real dreamer.

Alex
Old May 9th 2003, 1:06 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rudy
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard

We left South Africa 10 years ago and came to the UK, (I was born in the UK, so was already an expat) by the end of the first year our new years resolution was to be back in South Africa by the following year. We had left the country with all the problems it had - (crime, guns, car hijacking, education etc.) for all the right reasons, but we came to the conclusion that all of those "material" things made no difference because we were really missing our family and friends and that was what was important in life. However, after a holiday back in SA early that year we realised within hours of being back in the country that we could no longer live there. The country had moved on and we hadn't moved with it. We came back to the UK after that holiday far more settled and were able to make peace with our new lives in England.

10 years on, we feel that we are ready to move again, Australia seems like a good choice for us as a family, we will definitely have the "grieving" period again for our friends and my family who are now all here in the UK, but we are not 100% happy in the UK and we feel the country has changed since we first arrived. We are battling to have the lifestyle we desire here, a lot to do with the fact that we grew up in a hot climate and long for the outdoor lifestyle we once knew.

Couldn't agree with you more Hazel, seeing as I was in the same boat once. Nothing wrong with the UK at all; just need a change of scenary and a fresh start.

Colin
Old May 9th 2003, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't think for one minute that when PB gets back to the UK he will stop his moaning, its his hobby one that he follows with a passion.

Just think he is returning back to a country he has been away from for 7 years. Thats a hell of a lot of moaning to catch up on.

I for one can't wait to see what he makes of the UK on his return, after his holiday period is finished of course. !

On a more serious note, it would be interesting to see what he makes of it because of course we live here and therefore see it different, maybe after 7 years in Oz we will see that with PBs eyes.
Old May 9th 2003, 2:23 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Ahh, you see maybe he's being devils advacate, preparing people for the bad times that might hit them.
Old May 9th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
....Don't think for one minute that when PB gets back to the UK he will stop his moaning, its his hobby one that he follows with a passion. ...
I agree - the moaning is in his blood

So, on returning to the UK, he's surely got to get his daily fix of moaning on ng's about the country he's living in. But, he surely wouldn't post those moans to this ng.... Anybody know where he might post them?

(I'm only asking because his posts rarely disappoint )
Old May 12th 2003, 12:12 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bilbo
UK State Pension

UK Extra rules for people coming from abroad

UK Minimum Income Guarantee

The UK Minimum Income Guarantee pays:
£7790 for a couple,
£5100 for a single person per year.

AU How much do I need
The AU Old Age Pension pays:
$18,636 for a couple, (£7454)
$11,164 for a single person per year. (£4466)
Missed the point again pal , the pension is means tested you can have 2 pensions in the UK and get away with still having the state pension not here.
Your car any contents in your home and other things of value can wipe out your state pension.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 12th 2003 at 12:28 am.
Old May 12th 2003, 12:16 am
Banned

Originally posted by alextoo
PB - of course I realize there is crime in Aus and all the other things that mean that wherever you live it is not a perfect world.

However the point I made was that whatever problems you have in Aus you can multiply them several times when you compare them in the U.K.
You don't have to be a maths wizard to do the sums.

Some of your posts although negative are informative, some are even funny (the ferrari one) but you constantly accuse people moving to Aus of being dreamers. The truth is that when you return to the U.K you will get a very rude awakening and realize that you are not the prodigal son.

Next time you look in the mirror take a long hard look - perhaps you will then see the real dreamer.

Alex
Dream on lived in Perth and the UK and you have Perth its not worth the airfare , I am not runing back after a few weeks I have had 9 years too long here.

Old May 12th 2003, 12:17 am
Banned

Originally posted by karawara88
Don't think for one minute that when PB gets back to the UK he will stop his moaning, its his hobby one that he follows with a passion.

Just think he is returning back to a country he has been away from for 7 years. Thats a hell of a lot of moaning to catch up on.

I for one can't wait to see what he makes of the UK on his return, after his holiday period is finished of course. !

On a more serious note, it would be interesting to see what he makes of it because of course we live here and therefore see it different, maybe after 7 years in Oz we will see that with PBs eyes.

For someone who could make it in Perth or the UK your opinion is worthless? running back here will not make your failures any better.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 12th 2003 at 1:06 am.
Old May 12th 2003, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

For someone who could make in Perth or the UK your opinion is worthless? running back here will not make your failures any better.
And your point is?
Old May 12th 2003, 12:20 am
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rudy
Originally posted by pommie bastard

Best of luck to you when you do return, and I hope that you can give us your advice on this forum regarding pitfalls for the new migrant in Oz, in your opinion, without always reverting to a slanging match. I have been surprised at some of your posts, sometimes you can be really helpful, but other times you just dish out dirt.

PS. You're not interested in buying a nice 3 bed semi detached in Ongar are you? Beautiful views across our beautiful English countryside!

Hazel
Thanks for your advice but you seem not to be able to settle anywhere ? the big thing that will come home to you in Australia is its harder to get on and make a living but dream on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.