Gcse S In Uk/oz

Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gcse S In Uk/oz

Originally Posted by helen/andy
Hello hope someone can help my 16 yr old daughter is about to sit her GCSES in May,then after her last exam we are off to the Sunshine Coast!
Someone has told me that she will have difficulty getting into college in Oz as the Aussies dont recognize these qualifications,she is wanting to do equivalent of Alevel English and History in Oz.
Can anyone shed some light.
I havent been able to E mail any colleges as we are not sure where we are heading yet for definate.Cheers.
As others have said, the equivalent of GCSE is the Year 10 qualification - which in NSW is called the School Certificate and is worse than useless. I doubt if it's different in QLD. The Year 10 qualification basically means that you attended school. So disregard the GCSEs - they are effectively meaningless here.

The only qualification that counts is the one you get after Year 12. MOST kids do Year 11 and 12 at school. A few would do it at a TAFE, some areas might have a '6th Form College' arrangement but as a rule you do not 'go to college' to do your last two years of schooling - you do it at the same school that you did the previous years.

The Year 12 qualification (called different things in different states) has a much broader syllabus than the UK. Kids choose which subjects that they want to do - but usually this is about 5 subjects. You cannot just pick 2 or 3 like 'A' Levels - so your daughter would have to expand the number of subject she wanted to do.

I'd imagine that if you arrived mid-year, she would do a couple of months of Year 10, just to settle in - and then start the 2-year (Year 11/12) course the following year. Schools would allow her to pick whatever subjects she wants (as long as they offer them, of course) as there's not any presumed knowledge for most general-type subjects (like English and History).