Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gas Fitters/Plumbers

Gas Fitters/Plumbers

Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really nice
Cool Gas Fitters/Plumbers

We have just started the process of migration- are hoping to go to Adelaide.
Is there much work out there for gas fitters/plumbers?
and if not are they sought after in any other state?

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2003, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

We emigrated here in 1991 on my husbands qualifications as a gas fitter. He had worked with BG for 24 years before then. When we got here he had to retrain at college for a hot water plumbers licence and 'B' class electrical licence as the powers that be would not recognise his work in the UK in those areas. Because of the restricted water and electrical licences he held it became almost impossible to find work as a gas fitter/plumber. Unless you can get the full plumbing licence there really is not much work about.

Most gas fitters/plumbers are self-employed, and if you can find work with a company you are generally expected to have your own white one tonne van and tools and be a subbie. We know of someone here who emigrated who fortunately for him had enough cash to buy into the Gas company's Gas Fit scheme, and become associated with them. He has made quite a success of it.

There have been quite a few ads in the job section in the Adevertiser lately for plumbers, so things might be looking up. For us, in the end my husband gave up and retrained as a robotics welder and now spends his working day in a dreadful car components factory - but at least its a job!
Old Mar 11th 2003, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gas Fitters/Plumbers

Originally posted by Mottie
We have just started the process of migration- are hoping to go to Adelaide.
Is there much work out there for gas fitters/plumbers?
and if not are they sought after in any other state?

Thanks

I know you will make a face...... but your trade in Canada makes lots of money and there are lots of jobs........
Old Mar 11th 2003, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Funny you should say that - we had some friends who emigrated to British Columbia at the same time as we came to South Australia. He too was a gas fitter/plumber with BG (a work colleague of my husbands). He also found it extremely difficult to find a job there and now runs a knitwear/sewing/handicraft shop in Kelowna.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really nice

Thanks for the replies - its given us something to think about

Not so sure about Canada though!!!
Old Mar 13th 2003, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

elysia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Fitters/Plumbers

Going back to Wizzywozza's post, would you still say that you have a better life-style and are happier now in Adelaide. Do the good points out weigh the bad points.

elysia
Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Funny you should say that - we had some friends who emigrated to British Columbia at the same time as we came to South Australia. He too was a gas fitter/plumber with BG (a work colleague of my husbands). He also found it extremely difficult to find a job there and now runs a knitwear/sewing/handicraft shop in Kelowna.

Funny you should say that I am 20 mins from Kelowna. LOL

I know people who are looking for a gas fitter.

How long has he been in Canada????/
Old Mar 15th 2003, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

He has been in Kelowna for 13 years now. They run Kelyarn on Harvey Avenue (I think it is).
Old Mar 15th 2003, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by wizzywozza
He has been in Kelowna for 13 years now. They run Kelyarn on Harvey Avenue (I think it is).

Will be going there next week Kelowna is were I shop for clothes and such, will pop in ask if he wants a Job in the gas trade..............lol..........