gardening

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Justjinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gardening

Thank you to all who replied to my last posting.
As an avid gardener in Southern England we are hoping to move to Wellington, NZ. With a similar climate can I expect to grow similar veg. and flowers? What fruit do you grow and are fruit trees readily available? Do you use greenhouses? What new and exciting oportunities will be open to us? We would appreciate any guidance.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:48 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

gardening new zealand
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 12:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
gardening new zealand
Do you have any Australian gardening links?
Not sure where we may go yet though.

I'm surprised there are not more posts on Gardening as most people seem to want a largish plot of land.
Someone will have to look after it

G
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 12:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

gardening aussie style
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
gardening aussie style

Thanks I enjoyed the site to........
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:41 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: gardening

Originally posted by Justjinn
Thank you to all who replied to my last posting.
As an avid gardener in Southern England we are hoping to move to Wellington, NZ. With a similar climate can I expect to grow similar veg. and flowers? What fruit do you grow and are fruit trees readily available? Do you use greenhouses? What new and exciting oportunities will be open to us? We would appreciate any guidance.
In my sad old fartage I have started to take an interest in gardening! In Dunedin, we (like you will be in Wellington) are south of what I would call the 'Avocado line'. Ie you can't grow all the things that need a milder climate. I think the line is more or less New Plymouth-Napier.

However, provided you are on the coast, many non-hardy perennials will survive the winter. Here in Dunedin there are plenty of (say) geraniums that have obviously survived outside for ages. There are also quite a few palms and orange/ lemon trees.

The regular rainfall on NZ coast is good news too, everything thrives. In Dunedin we are big on rhododendrons, camellias and azaleas, I noticed the same thing in Christchurch.

Best place for NZ gardening is probably Whangarei.

But Wellington will be pretty good, too.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: gardening

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
In my sad old fartage I have started to take an interest in gardening! In Dunedin, we (like you will be in Wellington) are south of what I would call the 'Avocado line'. Ie you can't grow all the things that need a milder climate. I think the line is more or less New Plymouth-Napier.

However, provided you are on the coast, many non-hardy perennials will survive the winter. Here in Dunedin there are plenty of (say) geraniums that have obviously survived outside for ages. There are also quite a few palms and orange/ lemon trees.

The regular rainfall on NZ coast is good news too, everything thrives. In Dunedin we are big on rhododendrons, camellias and azaleas, I noticed the same thing in Christchurch.

Best place for NZ gardening is probably Whangarei.

But Wellington will be pretty good, too.

With all those beautiful bushes it must be a very colourfull and the smell must be awesome.......
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what the work situation is like in Perth re: Gardening. I am just about to complete my course in Horticulture and am wondering if there are many jobs going in Perth in landscaping.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:57 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Tonyonthemove
Does anyone know what the work situation is like in Perth re: Gardening. I am just about to complete my course in Horticulture and am wondering if there are many jobs going in Perth in landscaping.
Heaps at the right price but most will find the price low.