How do you get this?

Thanks Karen

Apologise for all the questions, but it seems quicker
asking than trawling through the internet for hours
trying to find the answers.

Thanks again
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

When you book your flight tell them it is one way ( I know this may seem obvious) and that you are a migrant.
Ask them to confirm by letter/fax/e-mail the baggage allowance allowed.
Best to have it in writing just in case you get a hiccup at the airport.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Karen,

If you have Permanent visa many airlines will give you this automatically but only once and only on one way tickets! Other visa types may get it with some negotiation too, my parents have it on a retirement visa from Singapore airlines. Its worth getting this in writing from the airline to avoid problems at check-in though as several people have still been issued with 20kg tickets. Also be careful if you're planning a stopover to check that you can have it on the second leg of your journey.
If you fly via USA I think you get more baggage allowance, think its 32kg usually so 64kg with emmigration allowance!

Michaela
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Will we get in - we have already validated & will be going on one way tickets in Dec/Jan. Probably will be with Singapore airlines but may be different as thinking of getting round the world tickets to take in some sights so that it will while away some time while the stuff is shipped over.

cheers

pockygoes
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

If you go via the US you are allowed 2pcs, each up to 32kgs, total 64kg. I've checked with Air NZ and their flight only stops for 2hrs in LA, you go in transit lounge and luggage stays on plane. So it could be worth the hassle of going that way if you have lots of stuff. Also, chance to stop in Auckland, at least for a decent sleep.

Lesley
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

SuziTattoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lesleys
If you go via the US you are allowed 2pcs, each up to 32kgs, total 64kg. I've checked with Air NZ and their flight only stops for 2hrs in LA, you go in transit lounge and luggage stays on plane. So it could be worth the hassle of going that way if you have lots of stuff. Also, chance to stop in Auckland, at least for a decent sleep.

Lesley
Hiya - I'm flying out with Singapore Airlines - one-way- to Perth on July4th - spoke to a very rude rep on the phone who told me that I didn't have the right visa for double baggage allowance (it was a Sunday and I think she had a bad hangover!!!) so sent copy of my visa to headquarters and they said 'no problem' - even phoned me up to wish me a good flight, pre-book my seat, and wish me good luck in Oz. Basically, as long as your visa has MIG on it somewhere, it seems to be OK for more allowance (40kgs in this case), but best to send it off to get it checked.

Godd Luck, Suzi
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably too late for you, but is there no chance you can go a bit earlier? The prices go up on July 1st. We are saving about £200 by going at the end of July.

As far as the other Q's go: You can take 2pcs @ 32kg each if you go via America. A stop over is allowed in the states (unlike going via Asia) and you don't lose your allowance. Only problem is you can only fly to Sydney or Melbourne (obviously not a problem if that is where you are going). However, if you are going to Perth, like we are, you can't take all that baggage on the internal flight.