British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Gap. Brisbane - February 10th (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gap-brisbane-february-10th-418138/)

Pollyana Jan 11th 2007 11:14 am

The Gap. Brisbane - February 10th

The Gap Sports Club, Glenaffric Street. Saturday February 10th.
I've arranged with the lovely people that run the place that we can use it for a North/West Brissie Meet. We can meet there from 1pm onwards, there are lots of places nearby for kids to play - depending on local footie games, verandah where you can drink and smoke at the same time, food will be available. Its right next to the Gap Village shops. Staff are friendly, plenty of free parking.

Some more details for those interested - "Fifteen to twenty minute drive from Brisbane City; fully licensed; poker machines; pool tables; big screen; pub grub and finger food available; bus stop and taxi rank five minutes stagger away; kids allowed until 9pm; natives are friendly."

Who fancies it?:)

Clan Fortune Jan 11th 2007 12:49 pm

Re: The Gap. Brisbane - February 10th

Hi polly,
We will be arriving in Brisbane around the 2nd of feb so would love to come and meet you ( if we can get accomodation sorted by then):eek:

Pollyana Jan 11th 2007 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Clan Fortune (Post 4270651)
Hi polly,
We will be arriving in Brisbane around the 2nd of feb so would love to come and meet you ( if we can get accomodation sorted by then):eek:

That'd be great - its a really quiet spot, lots of parkland and trees around it, yet near enough to the shops if you want to combine the afternoon with getting supplies in! I was there most of today and all the staff seemed really pleased at the thought of being a Brit meeting place!
The cook/chef is a friend of mine, so we will work out a compromise with the food so everyone gets something but she can also have a good day ;)
She did say if anyone has specific requirements for food, pm me, and she will see what she can arrange.

cresta57 Jan 11th 2007 1:23 pm

I'll be heading down to the capital for a wedding that weekend:(

Pollyana Jan 11th 2007 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 4270740)

Booger:rolleyes: Never mind, I think we will be meeting there again. Chef-ess has just spent several months in your neck of the UK, btw. ;)

tiredwithtwins Jan 11th 2007 1:35 pm

lol ... I take it the 'proof' is in the pudding, eh pollyana?:D ;)

She does a mean chilli by all accounts :D

Pollyana Jan 11th 2007 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 4270782)
lol ... I take it the 'proof' is in the pudding, eh pollyana?:D ;)

She does a mean chilli by all accounts :D

You're "Reading" posts carefully tonight then!!The Proof was in the fish and chips this evening, plus more cheese than I can shake a stick at! Think its a good place for meet-ups too, get yourself over here!!!

annqldau Jan 11th 2007 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 4270740)

Thought you'd already married her in doors???

Will have to check and see if I'm working or not and get back to you about a guest appearance...:D .

billy0911 Jan 12th 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4270813)
You're "Reading" posts carefully tonight then!!The Proof was in the fish and chips this evening, plus more cheese than I can shake a stick at! Think its a good place for meet-ups too, get yourself over here!!!

Hi
We are in south brisbane "Robertson" but none the less we may as well pop along for a wee shufty lol Me,Wife,Girl(10),and a boy(4)
you make it sound so appealing

Billy & Vicki

soapy© Jan 12th 2007 8:47 am

i dont know paulines shifts, but i might just pop along myself if shes working;)

Pollyana Jan 12th 2007 9:35 am

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 4274163)
i dont know paulines shifts, but i might just pop along myself if shes working;)

We'd love to see you :) In return, we might even make it down to a Pines Meet sometime ;)

themerlin Jan 12th 2007 10:03 am

Sounds good.

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4270252)
The Gap Sports Club, Glenaffrick Street. Saturday February 10th.
I've arranged with the lovely people that run the place that we can use it for a North/West Brissie Meet. We can meet there from 1pm onwards, there are lots of places nearby for kids to play - depending on local footie games, verandah where you can drink and smoke at the same time, food will be available. Its right next to the Gap Village shops. Staff are friendly, plenty of free parking.

Who fancies it?:) :beer:

Pollyana Jan 12th 2007 10:06 am

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 4274474)
Sounds good.

Be nice to meet you :)

232Bar Jan 12th 2007 7:37 pm

I may make an appearance if my social secretary allows it :beer:

Pollyana Jan 12th 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 4278033)

Very civilised of you sir ;)

liver bird Jan 12th 2007 9:05 pm

The Gap Sports Club, Glenaffrick Street. Saturday February 10th.

Me Me me!!!!!! we live in the Gap so absolutely perfect!!!! have two kids, three and one and one on the way! have been so homesick so would love to meet more expats! count me in! :D

annqldau Jan 12th 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 4278033)

We'll have to charge extra if we both make guest appearances.

themerlin Jan 12th 2007 10:18 pm

You to, are you going to bring the chipmunk :)

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4274482)
Be nice to meet you :)

soapy© Jan 12th 2007 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4274396)
We'd love to see you :) In return, we might even make it down to a Pines Meet sometime ;)

ill bring my own food though, ive heard its pish there:p :D

Pollyana Jan 13th 2007 1:01 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by liver bird (Post 4278349)
Me Me me!!!!!! we live in the Gap so absolutely perfect!!!! have two kids, three and one and one on the way! have been so homesick so would love to meet more expats! count me in!

I had a feeling there were some families out that way now - DEfinitely come along :) We are hoping theres no matches on that day as then the kids can play on the field, but theres still room outside for them, and I'l told there's a park opposite somewhere as well. :)

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 4278461)
We'll have to charge extra if we both make guest appearances.

Bring Blodwyn the sheep as wll if you like - we'll have a whip round to pay your fees ;)

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 4278670)
You to, are you going to bring the chipmunk :)

OF course!! She loves a good day out!

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 4278918)
ill bring my own food though, ive heard its pish there:p

You will be in sooo much trouble!

Actually, Esmeralda Chipmunk and her friend Rosie dined there the other day - this was their cheese platter :D

woogle Jan 13th 2007 5:58 am

We will deff try & make it, have various ex-pat friends around, so might invite them along, the more the merrier :) :beer:

soapy© Jan 14th 2007 6:48 am

Originally Posted by woogle (Post 4279376)
the more the merrier :) :beer:

sounds good to me:)

yorksinoz Jan 14th 2007 10:26 pm

We're Bayside, but might try and come over to join you all - as sounds like fun and really want to meet some other expats! Have got a 17mnth old little 'un. Where is the Gap (haven't checked the Refidex yet!)?

soapy© Jan 14th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by yorksinoz (Post 4284383)
We're Bayside, but might try and come over to join you all - as sounds like fun and really want to meet some other expats! Have got a 17mnth old little 'un. Where is the Gap (haven't checked the Refidex yet!)?

i havent got a clue either, but i will find my way there. we live on the gold coast but there will be expats from 2 forums and that is something i cant miss.
;)

232Bar Jan 14th 2007 11:50 pm

How many are taking kids and how old are they?

ridds Jan 15th 2007 4:14 am

We hope to be there as well - look forward to meeting some more expats and hopefully this time we won't have to shoot off early.:)

woogle Jan 15th 2007 8:11 am

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 4284556)

Ours are 2 & 4:)

Pollyana Jan 15th 2007 8:19 am

1 Attachment(s)
The circle shows Glenaffric Street - its off Waterworks Road, just after you cross the creek. Follow it round the dogleg past the shopping centre, and the Sports Club is right at the end of the road.

soapy© Jan 15th 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4285301)
The circle shows Glenaffric Street - its off Waterworks Road, just after you cross the creek. Follow it round the dogleg past the shopping centre, and the Sports Club is right at the end of the road.

thanks polly.
whats the nearest suburb?

Pollyana Jan 15th 2007 9:11 am

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 4285402)
thanks polly.
whats the nearest suburb?

See thread title :p Its in the Gap!! Seriously though, come in on Waterworks Road from the east, and you will be coming in from Ashgrove.

soapy© Jan 15th 2007 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4285410)
See thread title :p Its in the Gap!! Seriously though, come in on Waterworks Road from the east, and you will be coming in from Ashgrove.

cheers polly

right you lot, now u all know how to get there;)

soapy© Jan 15th 2007 9:29 am

ive invited the local school and im going to sit them all beside you:D

suebrennan Jan 15th 2007 9:38 am

The Gap Sports Club, Glenaffric Street. Saturday February 10th.

Some more details for those interested - "Fifteen to twenty minute drive from Brisbane City; fully licensed; poker machines; pool tables; big screen; pub grub and finger food available; bus stop and taxi rank five minutes stagger away; kids allowed until 9pm; natives are friendly."

That sounds like fun but could I ask a favour - pm me close to the date as I have missed every single meet up since I got here. I live in city and know where the coffee club in the gap is - is the place anywhere near there???

Sue

Pollyana Jan 15th 2007 9:39 am

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 4285460)
ive invited the local school and im going to sit them all beside you:D

PMSL :D

Pollyana Jan 15th 2007 9:45 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by suebrennan (Post 4285491)
That sounds like fun but could I ask a favour - pm me close to the date as I have missed every single meet up since I got here. I live in city and know where the coffee club in the gap is - is the place anywhere near there???

Sue

Not sure - theres one in White Pages called The Gap Coffee and Cakes - thats on Waterworks Road, which is the main road running through the Gap - Glenaffric Street leads off it. I'll try and find out for you though. :)

Edited to attach White Pages map - its a bit clearer - Sports Club is right at the end of the street, near where the swings symbol is.

soapy© Jan 15th 2007 9:49 am

Originally Posted by suebrennan (Post 4285491)

Sue

go to the top of the page and click on the "Meet ups" section (in blue)
click on the date 10th Feb
when you see pollys post, look at the top right and u can set a reminder for the meet;)

loz Jan 15th 2007 11:24 pm

Hi Polly add 2 more to the list, me and Dean are hoping to get there and we think we may have 2 'extras'. We are staying with Dean's brother and his wife at the moment and they have said they would like to come along (they've been here 4and a half years).

Look forward to meeting you all.

Loz x

annqldau Jan 16th 2007 8:40 am

Ever the cheerful soul... Oh! may have misjudged him he may be bringing ours...:D if we can make it as still can't confirm 100% yet.

rach_and_doc Jan 16th 2007 12:13 pm

put us down for that one ;) myself (rach) and hubby Doc.. with 4 yep:scared: 4 kids... 15,13,10,9.... looking forward to having a few :beer:

soapy© Jan 16th 2007 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by rach_and_doc (Post 4289863)
put us down for that one ;) myself (rach) and hubby Doc.. with 4 yep:scared: 4 kids... 15,13,10,9.... looking forward to having a few :beer:

can u sit them next to 232bar, so that he has someone his own age to chat to:D