Galahs as pets

Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about
Default Galahs as pets

Hi

I know I am bound to get a couple of people asking why I would want to keep a galah as a pet when they are everywhere in the wild, but I figured I will take it on the chin and ask the question: Does anyone here keep a galah as a pet?

Thinking about getting one, but wondered if anyone had any experience. Or does anyone else have a similar kind of bird that they would recommend as a pet?

We had a cockatiel for 10 years in the UK, and still miss him (he now lives with my mum). Couldn't buy another cockatiel as would feel like that was betraying him - if you know what I mean

Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galahs as pets

We've got a family of four Kookaburras that we feed by hand and stroke - that's good enough for me
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Please take into consideration the lifespan of a bird such as a galah, they can be very long lived, up to 30-40 years I think.

They also need your time and company, they aren't a bird to put in a cage by themselves and said hello to as you pass by (they are gregarious birds and they stick together in large flocks and mate for life).

If you do decide make sure you do some research and speak to someone reputable. Here's a website I just found that has some quite detailed information on keeping a galah and what you need to be prepared to do.

http://www.geocities.com/galah_aus/h...o/info013.html

Last edited by Womat; Apr 26th 2007 at 11:53 am.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vics
Hi

I know I am bound to get a couple of people asking why I would want to keep a galah as a pet when they are everywhere in the wild, but I figured I will take it on the chin and ask the question: Does anyone here keep a galah as a pet?

Thinking about getting one, but wondered if anyone had any experience. Or does anyone else have a similar kind of bird that they would recommend as a pet?

We had a cockatiel for 10 years in the UK, and still miss him (he now lives with my mum). Couldn't buy another cockatiel as would feel like that was betraying him - if you know what I mean

Thanks.

Years ago when I lived out in the bush one of the old farmers had a pet pink and grey.

He lived in a corrugated iron hut with the wife and kids,while he was building up the farm,he was at the edge of the universe,last wheat farm on the edge of the north east wheatbelt,way beyond the black stump.

Every morning he would wake up,start the generator for the kids to get ready to go to school,take a leak,cough ,and say thats better you bas---d.

The pink and grey picked it all up,it would sit on the perch and go through the whole routine.

RRRRR,start you ---- (generator),then SSSS,then a cough or two ,and then thats better you bas---d.The whole routine was so funny.

I tried to teach it to say hoy a hammer ower here hinny,but like everybody else it didn't understand the geordie accent.

To catch them the farmers would soak wheat in whisky,then when the birds were drunk after eating it they would catch one,highly illegal now ,and at the time I think,but the closest bobby was 200 klms away so not much chance of being caught.