Any teachers?

Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice
Default Any teachers?

I have been a UK primary teacher for 10 years and have relocated for OH's job. I am starting the ball rolling to get my NSW approval to teach but in the meantime am hoping to get some casual work possibly tutoring or at a private school. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to organise my CV (headings etc.) I'm also unsure as to what should go in the "covering letter" should this be like a detailed letter of application or should it just be a "I'd like to apply for this job and am available on these days??? I'm getting myself tied up in knots.

Another question. Is it worth sending your CV (once I finally finish it) off to schools as a "have you any work for me"? If I e mail it will it just be deleted from somebody's in box! Should I pop in and drop it off or is it best to make an appointment to speak to somebody?

What about references? Should I ask my referrees for an "open" reference that I attach to my CV or let them take up their own?

Also any tips on completing that awful form for approval to teach would also be appreciated.

Sorry -- so many questions......
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any teachers?

Originally Posted by Katherined0
I have been a UK primary teacher for 10 years and have relocated for OH's job. I am starting the ball rolling to get my NSW approval to teach but in the meantime am hoping to get some casual work possibly tutoring or at a private school. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to organise my CV (headings etc.) I'm also unsure as to what should go in the "covering letter" should this be like a detailed letter of application or should it just be a "I'd like to apply for this job and am available on these days??? I'm getting myself tied up in knots.

Another question. Is it worth sending your CV (once I finally finish it) off to schools as a "have you any work for me"? If I e mail it will it just be deleted from somebody's in box! Should I pop in and drop it off or is it best to make an appointment to speak to somebody?

What about references? Should I ask my referrees for an "open" reference that I attach to my CV or let them take up their own?

Also any tips on completing that awful form for approval to teach would also be appreciated.

Sorry -- so many questions......
This is a brief one because I'm trying to prepare for the day!

In short are you going for good private schools?

If so then a UK style CV will be fine - my experience is that top schools tend to like UK trained and experienced teachers - but you do need to show something different on you cv and you do need to be "their" kind of person. In other words you do need to fit into the culture.

CVs generally are a bit more detailed here but I sent a covering letter from the UK explaining my situation and kept my CV succinct but made sure the eye was drawn to the best bits.

One word of warning - if you start by saying when you are not available you are cutting your nose off... Be absolutely flexible- don't give conditions and don't make it hard work to employ you.

I sent an open reference with an offer of further referees if they need it.

E-mail for good schools will be fine - less good schools will ignore the e-mail. Send a hard copy also. Follow it up with a phone call.

The deputy head here told me that he receives 5 or 6 speculative applications a week!! Mine happened to land on his desk at the right time. I received a phone call in the UK about one week after posting it.

So - you need a bit of luck also.

Happy to give any advice - you may PM if you wish. But I'm WA based so can't give specifics on NSW.

Good luck.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Thanks for taking time to reply. Some good tips there....
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

My tip, start collecting proof of all your teaching positions.
Eg references from all employers stating how long you worked for them. Full time or part time etc.

As they want all this to get correct pay scale!

If you have worked in more than one or two jobs this can be a nightmare! As we have discovered!

Good Luck
Gems