Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fund to send PB BACK TO WHERE HE says he wants to be

Fund to send PB BACK TO WHERE HE says he wants to be

Old Oct 31st 2002, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

One thing I will never understand about this site, is the constant "we are going for the weather" comment. Australia has almost all of the country in drought, which is playing havoc with the economy, and of course Food Prices. More and more shires are having total water bans except for essential stuff like showers cooking etc. Bushfires are breaking out already and its not even summer.

The sun is so dangerous it causes cancers which can kill you, and to avoid that you spend hours a week covering yourself in white gloop called sunblock and cant leave the house without hat, glasses, long sleeved shirts, and your constant companion UV30 for 2 hourly application. The humidity in Brisbane will be killing us by December, yet in Melbourne and Canberra it would be far colder that the UK in Winter.

Sure its sunny often, but as you are supposed to avoid it between 10 am and 3pm then its dark by 6 or 7 pm you dont really enjoy it anyway. I do find it funny that so many peoples main reason for coming here is the weather. Its one of the harshest climates in the world, but very few here seem to know anything about it.

When people like pommie talk about the Naive comments here, sometimes he does have a point.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Max Thunderhide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sun happy or lowlife, which are you PB ?

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Look there are misfits every where, why do Aussies leave Australia for the UK , because they are ambitious and see the UK as a step up.
The people coming to Aussie from UK are either sun happy or have not got off the bottom of the ladder in UK and see Australia as an English speaking land of plenty , down to good PR by your TV programs.
Just read some of the naive things said about Australia by thoose who have never been here.Best Wishes PB
So PB, which category do you fall into? Did you not realise, before you emigrated that this is not the UK, why are you surprised at Australia being different? I think that anyone prepared to move across the world to better themselves deserves to be applauded, not constantly put down by a hemmeroid like yourself. Do you think you're negative views have not occured to potential emigrants? Hopefully people will see you for the sad little man you are and not be put off. You go on back and next February you sit with the rest of the muppets complaining about the cost of living and the soaring crime rate.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Albaus is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Fund to send PB BACK TO WHERE HE says he wants to be

Originally posted by Mike Peters
I Have £50.00 towards a one way ticket if u want to go back 4 GOOD
I haven't posted in a while, lots of things going on here and I have just been too busy. However, now that I see your thread, I have to say I'd be happy to donate $50 to the "please just go away you moaning faced git" campaign - on the condition that he promises never to post here again.

There is a book called "Learned Optimism" by Martin E.P. Seligman, Phd, which might be helpful to anybody with PB's many and varied psychological problems. Then again, probably not.

Regards
Old Oct 31st 2002, 7:25 pm
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
One thing I will never understand about this site, is the constant "we are going for the weather" comment. Australia has almost all of the country in drought, which is playing havoc with the economy, and of course Food Prices. More and more shires are having total water bans except for essential stuff like showers cooking etc. Bushfires are breaking out already and its not even summer.

The sun is so dangerous it causes cancers which can kill you, and to avoid that you spend hours a week covering yourself in white gloop called sunblock and cant leave the house without hat, glasses, long sleeved shirts, and your constant companion UV30 for 2 hourly application. The humidity in Brisbane will be killing us by December, yet in Melbourne and Canberra it would be far colder that the UK in Winter.

Sure its sunny often, but as you are supposed to avoid it between 10 am and 3pm then its dark by 6 or 7 pm you dont really enjoy it anyway. I do find it funny that so many peoples main reason for coming here is the weather. Its one of the harshest climates in the world, but very few here seem to know anything about it.

When people like pommie talk about the Naive comments here, sometimes he does have a point.
Im off to Perth and Im going for the weather too(amongst lots of other things). I know the cons because I lived in Brisbane for my early childhood, and I travelled the country during 1995 and spent 5 months there, mainly over the summer months. Despite its drawbacks and problems it has still gotta be better than UK. Im talking about Perth here.
At least you dont have to de-ice the car in the dark, fog and snow and get frostbite on your fingers in winter when off to work at 6 in the morning.
No old ladies will be in A&E with broken hips after slipping on ice. Or anyone else for that matter.
No old people dying of hypothermia bacause they cant afford the heating.
If you plan an outing 5 weeks in advance at least you know your gonna have the weather for it!
Maybe evenings do close in early, but at they are warmer than here and you can still lounge about the house in a t-shirt instead of thermals and woolly socks. You can wear skimpy clothes to go out in the evenings without freezing your butt off (and thats in the summer!)
You have no need for a tumble coz washing on the line dries at a hell of a pace!
Basically the worst feeling for me is being cold and having to wear layers of clothing. I hate boots and coats and thick jumpers and gloves and hats...........I could go on and on and on.
Basically, I think people are after the general warmer climate, not just the sunshine.
The bush fires etc are unfortunate but we have problems here in the snow, Its all swings and roundabouts. Nowhere is perfect but it just depends on your overall climate preference. I know what mine is......

BTW, even if people are sounding niave to you, you cant knock them for wanting to find something better than they have. We are all striving for a good life. T o a lot of people that is Australia, for others it might be Canada or New Zealand. People are not stupid to think life will be just perfect when they get to where they are going, they are just excited and willing to give it a go. Some of us might hate it, but others may love it. The 'niave' comments you are seeing are stemming from excitement, trepidation and enthusiasm and basically a feeling that most of us havent had since we were a child on xmas eve. We will find out the problems when we get there, and we will deal with them. With respect, the likes of you and PB are like big brothers telling us there is no santa. As adults we know there is no santa but it doesnt stop us enjoying xmas. Niave we may be, but thats our look-out.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 10:24 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sun happy or lowlife, which are you PB ?

UOTE]Originally posted by Max Thunderhide
So PB, which category do you fall into? Did you not realise, before you emigrated that this is not the UK, why are you surprised at Australia being different? I think that anyone prepared to move across the world to better themselves deserves to be applauded, not constantly put down by a hemmeroid like yourself. Do you think you're negative views have not occured to potential emigrants? Hopefully people will see you for the sad little man you are and not be put off. You go on back and next February you sit with the rest of the muppets complaining about the cost of living and the soaring crime rate.
[/QUOTE]

We came because our heads where full of the same crap that I have read on this forum plus so called friends telling us utter rubbish about the land of plenty.The cost of living here is higher if look at the poor wage levels paid , you Poms coming win out for a time because them pounds are worth loads of Mickey Mouse dollars but they will soon go and cost of living here kicks in .
By the way 90% of what I post is out of Aussies papers or written by Aussies , think about it.

THREE thugs became so angry when their local takeaway Italian restaurant ran out of chilli mussels that they drove to the shop and severely beat the owner and his staff, the District Court was told yesterday.

Dean George Damasco, 33, of Bayswater, and Michael John Rigaldi, 44, of Dianella, pleaded guilty to one count each of assault occasioning bodily harm over the incident.

Shaun Adam Damasco, 36, of Dianella, who is alleged to have used a cattle prod capable of producing several thousand volts of electricity on one of the victims, admitted two counts of the same charge.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 31st 2002 at 10:49 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

UOTE]Originally posted by Max Thunderhide

We came because our heads where full of the same crap that I have read on this forum plus so called friends telling us utter rubbish about the land of plenty.The cost of living here is higher if look at the poor wage levels paid , you Poms coming win out for a time because them pounds are worth loads of Mickey Mouse dollars but they will soon go and cost of living here kicks in .
By the way 90% of what I post is out of Aussies papers or written by Aussies , think about it.

THREE thugs became so angry when their local takeaway Italian restaurant ran out of chilli mussels that they drove to the shop and severely beat the owner and his staff, the District Court was told yesterday.

Dean George Damasco, 33, of Bayswater, and Michael John Rigaldi, 44, of Dianella, pleaded guilty to one count each of assault occasioning bodily harm over the incident.

Shaun Adam Damasco, 36, of Dianella, who is alleged to have used a cattle prod capable of producing several thousand volts of electricity on one of the victims, admitted two counts of the same charge.

[/QUOTE]

I wish you were still going to be there when I get back. Then we could sit down and I could get to know the real you (over a few pints at the OB). I know you have a lot of negative comments, and also some constructive critisism. Keep up the constructive crit. I enjoy it
Old Nov 1st 2002, 1:46 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you were still going to be there when I get back. Then we could sit down and I could get to know the real you (over a few pints at the OB). I know you have a lot of negative comments, and also some constructive critisism. Keep up the constructive crit. I enjoy it
Well the plan is put the house up for sale after xmas , so no real time scale but hope to be back for spring realy looking forward to it.
Guy that I played golf with on Wednesday , spents spring and summer in UK, then does the same here sees no winter at all what a good life.
If still here when you return I am sure we could have a bevy , seeing that a owe you was it 20 whiskeys, have to do a deal with Steve the bar manager.best Wishes PB

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 1st 2002 at 3:16 am.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Well the plan is put the house up for sale after xmas , so no real time scale but hope to be back for spring realy looking forward to it.
Guy that I played golf with on Wedesday , spents spring and summer in UK, then does the same here sees no winter at all what a good life.
If stiil here when you return I am sure we could have a bevy , seeing that a owe you was it 20 whiskeys have to do a deal with Steve the bar manager.best Wishes PB
PB, just leave the money at the bar if you can't wait for me. I won't enjoy it as much, but will still enjoy it. have a safe trip back
Old Nov 1st 2002, 8:53 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by teresa.c
Im off to Perth and Im going for the weather too(amongst lots of other things). I know the cons because I lived in Brisbane for my early childhood, and I travelled the country during 1995 and spent 5 months there, mainly over the summer months. Despite its drawbacks and problems it has still gotta be better than UK. Im talking about Perth here.
At least you dont have to de-ice the car in the dark, fog and snow and get frostbite on your fingers in winter when off to work at 6 in the morning.
No old ladies will be in A&E with broken hips after slipping on ice. Or anyone else for that matter.
No old people dying of hypothermia bacause they cant afford the heating.
If you plan an outing 5 weeks in advance at least you know your gonna have the weather for it!
Maybe evenings do close in early, but at they are warmer than here and you can still lounge about the house in a t-shirt instead of thermals and woolly socks. You can wear skimpy clothes to go out in the evenings without freezing your butt off (and thats in the summer!)
You have no need for a tumble coz washing on the line dries at a hell of a pace!
Basically the worst feeling for me is being cold and having to wear layers of clothing. I hate boots and coats and thick jumpers and gloves and hats...........I could go on and on and on.
Basically, I think people are after the general warmer climate, not just the sunshine.
The bush fires etc are unfortunate but we have problems here in the snow, Its all swings and roundabouts. Nowhere is perfect but it just depends on your overall climate preference. I know what mine is......

BTW, even if people are sounding niave to you, you cant knock them for wanting to find something better than they have. We are all striving for a good life. T o a lot of people that is Australia, for others it might be Canada or New Zealand. People are not stupid to think life will be just perfect when they get to where they are going, they are just excited and willing to give it a go. Some of us might hate it, but others may love it. The 'niave' comments you are seeing are stemming from excitement, trepidation and enthusiasm and basically a feeling that most of us havent had since we were a child on xmas eve. We will find out the problems when we get there, and we will deal with them. With respect, the likes of you and PB are like big brothers telling us there is no santa. As adults we know there is no santa but it doesnt stop us enjoying xmas. Niave we may be, but thats our look-out.
hi teresa
I think the way to think about oz cities is that there is
a physical landscape and
a social landscape
They are all different and you might feel more at home in one and not at all in another. To a large degree this depends on migration. Perth is the city with highest proportion of migrants from uk now - I think 50% I am bad at stats but as I remember 30 years ago half oz migrant intake was from uk. Now it is 11%. Where that 11% goes varies. Eastern states are more diverse. Going to perth can be good - easier if you feel homesick, people with similar humour etc (oz humour is more irish). But you may run into the vocal disgruntled migrant. I think you know what I mean. It is more diluted over this side.
We are all different in what we like. I was born here in Sydney but I also am drawn to China and love living in a city with east/west fusion as happens here
In other words, if Perth doesn't work out, try another city, before you make the decision to go back. Good luck.

Old Nov 1st 2002, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Teresa,
Your post could have come straight out of my mouth!!

The weather plays a huge part in us wanting to go out to Queensland.
Some people love the cold- I hate it !!

We are very financially secure over here with good jobs- so we are not dreanming of a better life financially.

We hope we can enjoy our free time outdoors, rather than being cooped up watching Corrie or Eastendes each night!!

We were going to buy a 2nd house in Spain, but with my husband only having 5 weeks hols a year what is the point ??

I look forward to the sun the same as you.

Tina
Old Nov 2nd 2002, 7:23 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

[SIZE=1]Originally posted by pommie bastard
UOTE][i]

By the way 90% of what I post is out of Aussies papers or written by Aussies ,

Don't we know it ! yawwwwwwwwwnn

Last edited by baldbutts; Nov 2nd 2002 at 7:25 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2002, 10:38 pm
Banned

Originally posted by baldbutts
Don't we know it ! yawwwwwwwwwnn

I take it you dislike Aussies?
Old Nov 4th 2002, 12:31 am
Banned

Originally posted by teresa.c

Australian views about Australias future.

You do not have to be an Einstein to see that the report on a big increase in population ("We'll be right with 50 million", Herald, November 2-3) is entirely driven by business interests which have the almighty dollar in their impaired sights.

The report mentions "moderate lifestyle". Our lifestyle has already been eroded during the gallop from 15 million to 19 million, and those of us who remember pre-1940 would say it has been going down slowly for a long time.

Do they think that we will get more rain? We would be flat out growing enough food to feed ourselves, which would upset our balance of payments. Shortage of petrol would force most of our present cars off the road with the large increase in price, and I cannot see wind power producing enough watts to recharge the batteries of the electric ones.

Sydney is already too big for comfortable living as we used to know it.

Gone are the days of taking the family for a spin at the weekends. How was it that we lived quite comfortably with a population of 7 million but now can't manage without seven times that figure?

Without nuclear power we will always have difficulty competing in the world market unless we work a lot harder for less reward.

I feel sad for my grandchildren, but rejoice in the fact that I will not live to see the almighty mess we may get into.