Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FULL TIME WORK (how long)??????????

FULL TIME WORK (how long)??????????

Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:17 am
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of
Question FULL TIME WORK (how long)??????????

We are moving to canberra as soon as house is sold.We do not have jobs to go to.Im a print machine assistant and OH is in admin (PA Stuff).I have made contact with a printers in Canberra and things look good for work.Only thing that is a worry is if nothing comes of it then i will look at doing something outside of the trade.I have been told full time work is hard to come by as companies offer tempory work first before you go full time????? .
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:08 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FULL TIME WORK (how long)??????????

Originally Posted by jon&kate
We are moving to canberra as soon as house is sold.We do not have jobs to go to.Im a print machine assistant and OH is in admin (PA Stuff).I have made contact with a printers in Canberra and things look good for work.Only thing that is a worry is if nothing comes of it then i will look at doing something outside of the trade.I have been told full time work is hard to come by as companies offer tempory work first before you go full time????? .
hummm dont know about Canberra

But OH found full time work within 1 week of being here, ok it wasnt' doing what he wanted (it was labouring) but it was money coming in, then he moved to something else withing 1 month, and is always looking about
I work in a school and found relief work within 6 months and permenant work within 7 months (but i took 6 months out any way)
depends on what you want to do, how hard you are prepared to work for it, and follow the correct procedure! (gov jobs require a certain format!)
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby went to a printers for a job when we first got here, it was permanent from the start (but it was in Adelaide not Canberra ) There was a three month probationary period though.

He didn't start work there cos they needed him to be licenced (he's an electrician), and when he got his licence he was offered a better job with more money.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Generally all jobs wether white or blue collar start with a 3 month probation period in Oz. Some companies will suss you out by putting you on as a casual to start.

One of the main reasons for this is that if they have recruited through an agency, they normally have an agreement that you will work for a period of time as a casual before going full time. This saves the employer the majority of the finding fee which is normally a certain % of the yearly wage.

As a casual employee you dont get holiday pay and sick pay, but you do get 25% casual loading with is supposed to make up for it. So dont worry if a company wants to take you on as a casual for a while. It gives you and them a chance to work each other out.

Good luck
Canberra