Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NEED A JOB ON THE GOLD COAST

NEED A JOB ON THE GOLD COAST

Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all
Default NEED A JOB ON THE GOLD COAST

Hi - i am coming over to the Gold Coast November/December and need to find work. I have 10 years office experience - currently PA to Senior Manager at local authority. Prior to that I worked in an office for 7 years. Came out to Oz - Robina, in 2005 but could not find a job - was devestated, got so depressed and came back to UK in Feb 2006. OH loved it over there and so did kids, am now feeling very positive about it all and know we can have a good life over there - just need a job!!!!!

Has anyone else struggled? It was soul destroying, having left good job here to not even get a responce from sending my resume - I thought it was me and my confidence plummeted - felt like a failure.

I tried Coles, Woolies - everything but could not find a job.

Anyone in the Robina area know how you go about finding work - people seem to say its who you know not what you know but thats not fair!!!!!!!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default Re: NEED A JOB ON THE GOLD COAST

If you struggled previously to find work in the smaller employment centres perhaps you'd be better to focus on an area where there is high employment and a larger population size (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth etc). Particularly initially to get yourself Oz work experience.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure your resume is written how the Aussies like them. It's quite different to how the UK expect them. Expect to not find work for some time then you take the pressure off and if something comes up quickly that's a bonus. Remember to slightly alter the resume for each application so it directly relates to the position you are going for. Don't mention the visa. Most companies don't understand the different types. If the job description doesn't mention it, you don't either. If it mentions PR then just say that you have PR.

Good luck.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johull
Hi - i am coming over to the Gold Coast November/December and need to find work. I have 10 years office experience - currently PA to Senior Manager at local authority. Prior to that I worked in an office for 7 years. Came out to Oz - Robina, in 2005 but could not find a job - was devestated, got so depressed and came back to UK in Feb 2006. OH loved it over there and so did kids, am now feeling very positive about it all and know we can have a good life over there - just need a job!!!!!

Has anyone else struggled? It was soul destroying, having left good job here to not even get a responce from sending my resume - I thought it was me and my confidence plummeted - felt like a failure.

Anyone in the Robina area know how you go about finding work - people seem to say its who you know not what you know but thats not fair!!!!!!!
Hi,

I think it can be difficult to find work, and I applied for a few without hearing anything. I think it is particulary hard around the Gold Coast. I then decided to temp for a while as I think the hardest part is getting that first job. I started my first job as part time temp admin and then was taken on permanently and within a year promoted to office manager. I think if you get a foot in the door and prove yourself and have the right attitude, it should work out. The problem is sometimes to do this you have to acccept a lower position/pay rate than you would normally consider.

Good luck

Julia
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi,

I think it can be difficult to find work, and I applied for a few without hearing anything. I think it is particulary hard around the Gold Coast. I then decided to temp for a while as I think the hardest part is getting that first job. I started my first job as part time temp admin and then was taken on permanently and within a year promoted to office manager. I think if you get a foot in the door and prove yourself and have the right attitude, it should work out. The problem is sometimes to do this you have to acccept a lower position/pay rate than you would normally consider.

Good luck

Julia
Hi

Glad things worked out for you. Looking back now I realise that i should not have taken things as personally, as having discovered this site, I know i am not the only one!!!!! I was also told that some employers are reluctant to employ brits as they are worried then will move in - not sure about this - does anyone agree?

Looking at temp work is a good idea. I also realise that i will have to take a paycut and lower position to begin with. As long as i can get my foot on the ladder thats all that matters.

Which agency did you go with?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Glad things worked out for you. Looking back now I realise that i should not have taken things as personally, as having discovered this site, I know i am not the only one!!!!! I was also told that some employers are reluctant to employ brits as they are worried then will move in - not sure about this - does anyone agree?

Looking at temp work is a good idea. I also realise that i will have to take a paycut and lower position to begin with. As long as i can get my foot on the ladder thats all that matters.

Which agency did you go with?
Hi

I applied for a temp position which was advertised nn the internet through an agency, so wasnt really on their books beforehand and as I was taken on permanently after 3 months that was the only job I had through the agency. I applied using the Seek website which is one of the main ones that the agencies use I think.

Julia
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute

I also have more than 15 years office experience and it took me two months and 40 applications to find a job. Also applied for temp jobs, but just last week I managed to get my first interview for a permanent job after hearing nothing from all the others (except the odd rejection) and I got the job, starting tomorrow ! Also thought it was me, got my resume checked (Australianised it beforehand) from a HR person etc. Think it is important not to get too frustrated (happened to me too, thought I never get anything etc.) By the way, just in the same week I got the job I received two other calls from companies interested in me....

Guess my message is: don't give up, there will be something somewhere for you which will get, and I also think as soon as you have your first job here you have Oz experience which helps in finding another job quicker.

Cheers

Katie
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:29 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

My understanding is that there is plenty of work for those who want to work. I can appreciate that people want employment in their prefered area but if you are flexible and adopt a proactive positive mental attitude than sooner or later something will come up.

We moved to Oz in September 2006. My wife is a chidren's ICU nurse. She had two job offers prior to leaving the UK. I had no job arranged.

I worked as a senior college lecturer in the UK. When I arrived here I applied to all the colleges in the area, some of which were 100km from where we lived. I got nowhere so started looking at other jobs which I could do even though I wanted to work in education. Nothing for three months.

Finally I started sending in my resume speculatively to colleges again, but this time following up with a phone call. I basically forced myself onto employers saying I was in the area, and free that afternoon, could they spare me 10 minutes of their precious time to have a chat about any possible vaccancies. I got lucky with the local TAFE first time using this approach, and although I am casual staff (as opposed to full time permanent) I can now pick and choose what I teach and work has snowballed.

I know that I will be offered a full time permanent job shortly, because I have been very flexible in my approach and been quite positive.

Something will turn up for you sooner or later. Good luck!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Hi
I understand! I used to work in the uk and was told i'd have to retrain and do another 5 years to get to where i worked over 10 years ago, ...but i saw it as an opportunity to do something new! A lot of people on the GC are self employed and have their own businesses-maybe you could outsource your business skills to others or set up some sort of company working from home maybe?

It is difficult to get work if you want to earn the same as in the UK and expect the same position.You cant come here and not have change. So many people move to the GC for a new life every week so you need to consider the local market and what you can make money doing here. You also have to persist and overcome those lingering fears of getting work, a lot of people suffer with seldf doubt but only you can do it.

The GC council is often looking for people and you come from a similar background so maybe send them your resume and follow up with a call or email to their human resources dept.If need be do a training course to adapt to the needs here thats what I did.Otheriwise take any job just to get the confidence to get back to work, anfd then look for something better.

I've retrained as a migration agent and love helping people get visas to come to live in Oz and I'm loving it, yes its cost me heaps and its taken time to develop but i'm thankful i didn't go into my old job,I have a fresh outlook and would recommend a change of career could be something to consider too.

All the best with the move!!

Sherie
www.migratemates.com
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Hi
I understand! I used to work in the uk and was told i'd have to retrain and do another 5 years to get to where i worked over 10 years ago, ...but i saw it as an opportunity to do something new! A lot of people on the GC are self employed and have their own businesses-maybe you could outsource your business skills to others or set up some sort of company working from home maybe?

It is difficult to get work if you want to earn the same as in the UK and expect the same position.You cant come here and not have change. So many people move to the GC for a new life every week so you need to consider the local market and what you can make money doing here. You also have to persist and overcome those lingering fears of getting work, a lot of people suffer with seldf doubt but only you can do it.

The GC council is often looking for people and you come from a similar background so maybe send them your resume and follow up with a call or email to their human resources dept.If need be do a training course to adapt to the needs here thats what I did.Otheriwise take any job just to get the confidence to get back to work, anfd then look for something better.

I've retrained as a migration agent and love helping people get visas to come to live in Oz and I'm loving it, yes its cost me heaps and its taken time to develop but i'm thankful i didn't go into my old job,I have a fresh outlook and would recommend a change of career could be something to consider too.

All the best with the move!!

Sherie
www.migratemates.com
Hi Sherie

That sounds amazing!!! I understand what you mean about the taking a step backa nd working forwards. It was just so difficult at the time to see that. From reading this site I realise that alot of people felt that way too.

How did you go about training to be a migration agent - I bet that is fascinating.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Hi Sherie

That sounds amazing!!! I understand what you mean about the taking a step backa nd working forwards. It was just so difficult at the time to see that. From reading this site I realise that alot of people felt that way too.

How did you go about training to be a migration agent - I bet that is fascinating.
Have a look at www.mia.org.au and [/url]www.themara.com.au[/url]

The nearest course is Griffith Uni on the Gold Coast or at the South Bank in Brisbane. However it has recently changed to a postgraduate course and now costs about $8000 which is a lot more than I paid.

The point is you often have to think creatively about what you can do when you come here. You could maybe set up an accommodation finding service, or become an education agent and find students for the TAFE/other colleges, or maybe theres something else you've always wanted to do.
The Gold coast has lots of small businesses so see if theres any that inspire you to become self employed.
I hope it works out for you this time. A lot of people move here all the time and most stay so let that encourage you!

Sherie

Last edited by sherie_in_oz; Jun 25th 2007 at 11:39 am. Reason: spelling mistake...got so much to do!!