Reload this Page >

Friends need help with migration

Friends need help with migration

Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

---Halifax--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Friends need help with migration

Hi All

Friends of ours were told by their migration agent that they cannot apply for skilled migration because they are just over 40. MA said that the cut off age is 35. Is this true and what other migration method can they use? They want to try Regional Sponsership but is it worth the wait. Their occupation is on the MODL and their points looks good. Except for their age.

Can anyone offer advice?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

That is complete crap.. my husband is 44 (45 in 2 weeks time) and he has applied for perm residency under skilled section. He is a nurse
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Friends need help with migration

Originally posted by Annelie
Hi All

Friends of ours were told by their migration agent that they cannot apply for skilled migration because they are just over 40. MA said that the cut off age is 35. Is this true and what other migration method can they use? They want to try Regional Sponsership but is it worth the wait. Their occupation is on the MODL and their points looks good. Except for their age.

Can anyone offer advice?
Cut off is 45. Look for a MARA registered agent if they are unsure of what they are doing, don't have time and have the money.

www.themara.com.au

I will let the others discuss their agents but George Lombard and Alan Collett appear to be the most frequently recommended.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I would definitely tell them to look for another agent. If they are telling them this kind of important information wrongly, god knows what else they will do!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I think the problem if you are over 39 is that unless you are on the skills in demand list then it is very difficult to get over the pass mark. I got 60 points and only just scraped in as I am 39 with no relatives or sponsor. At 40 I can't see anyway that I could make the cut other than possibly going down the business visa which looks pretty tough nowadays (I think its now about 4 years temporary till you can prove the business a success)
Its easy to check using some of the agents free points calculators on the web.
I'm sorry if any of this info is now incorrect as I am not an expert, but just trying to help.

Cheers

Gazza
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree Gazza, unless the spouse can get 5 points for having a skill on the SOL and meets all the basic requirements, plus the applicant would have to put up $100,000 bond (which together would add 10 points to their total) it is almost impossible to get a skilled independent visa once you are in the 40 - 45 bracket (assuming you have a 60 point skill and are not on the MODL. )

Friends of mine are in this boat, luckily they seem to have found an employer who is willing to sponsor them and even luckier, the sponsor is in an area where such sponsorship is allowed.

adelaidegirl
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:55 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

There may be some confusion in translation here. One of the basic requirements for skilled migration is that you are aged 44 or under. Another is that you must pass a points test (unless you are applying for a Skilled - Designated Area Sponsored visa).

As a general guide, once an intending skilled independent visa applicant with a 60 point non-MODL occupation is aged 35 or over he or she will need to claim bonus points (eg by lodging A$100k with a State or Territory Treasury Corporation for 12 months), or have a spouse or partner who is also skilled to attain the skilled independent visa pass mark.

Once the main applicant is aged 40 or over he or she will probably need spouse skills and bonus points to attain the pass mark.

If a skilled visa isn't an option one is probably then looking at an employer sponsorship as the means for moving to Australia - which involves the usually not insignificant challenge of finding an employer who will sponsor you to live in Australia.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Annelie
Hi All

Can anyone offer advice?