Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fridges & Fridgefreezers...stay or go?

Fridges & Fridgefreezers...stay or go?

Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Anything electric in the uk using a standard outlet will work in Oz because we both use 240 Volt outlets. You simply need to change the plug, or use a converter if your happy with having them everywhere

you obviously need to consider if these devices then send and/or recieve signals which are incompatible, like alot of TVs/VCRs and DVDs.

Like mentioned, also consider the local conditions may vary compared to the UK, such as heat. Generally I would expect it to have the same ratings, however testing might have been done on a product expecting a different ambient (room) temperature.

Remember that the actual motor or parts will probably have a max temp much higher than room temperature, however it might rely on the room temperature keeping it cooler. However, its not as if its a huge amount of difference and equipment exposed to higher temperatures simply tend not to last as long
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: Fridges & Fridgefreezers...stay or go?

hi tracey,
fridge freezer and small seperate freezer work perfectly, and temps been very high here. but.............. a fosters beer cooler fridge i had from comet does not keep the beer cool enough! we buy it cold and it was getting warmer so now the beer is back in the ordinary fridge and i use the cooler for fruit and veg. we will probably invest in another fridge for beer, maybe second hand. would advise you to bring everything anyway providing you have room.
karen
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:55 pm
Badge

it is worth I think bringing a small fridge as you can use it as a beer and pop fridge in the garage whilst you get sorted.

I will buy a huge side by side, but need Mrs B to choose, so will use a small fridge for the time being.

For what it's worth, even in 35 degree temps, rooms in houses in Australia tend to stay cooler - infact I find Uk rooms hotter in the same temps.

Badge

Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
it is worth I think bringing a small fridge as you can use it as a beer and pop fridge in the garage whilst you get sorted.

I will buy a huge side by side, but need Mrs B to choose, so will use a small fridge for the time being.

For what it's worth, even in 35 degree temps, rooms in houses in Australia tend to stay cooler - infact I find Uk rooms hotter in the same temps.

Badge
With well made brick housing I find that. Weatherboard and concrete is nowehere near as effective. It was interesting flat hunting on Saturday in the heat.

One thing that gets me about some of the older stuff is the lack of light. I guess that is to keep the heat of the sun out but I don't like living in a dungeon.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Scott&Berni is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say definately bring it. we found that the freezer space in all of the combined fridge freezers is very small. Only found larger ones to buy separately. We paid $600 for our fridge freezer new so if you can save money and shiipping is not a problem bring it. We've bought our washer dryer and I'm glad because again the choice of front loader is not great and the spin speeds are definately lower. Majority 1000 rpm. Not cheap either.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TraceyW
We're going to take our upright fridge freezer with us....it'll do as a beer fridge anyhow if it's not big enough for the kitchen....but I
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

If it's realtively new and you have container space, bring the white goods.

We paid nearly $3k for a side by side which is huge but we should have brought our washer drier. Just make sure you fit the transit rods back in to stop the drum moving around.

If it's older kit then you take a bit of a risk as fridges and freezers don't "like" being moved that much. Newer ones are much better.

They may not be designed for the climate but there aren't many people I know who would put up with 30 C plus inside their house so I can't there would be much difference in load on the machine.

As for build differences, I've been told by Ariston that OZ units have thicker walls and larger compressors than northern hemisphere models.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

We moved out of rented accomadation in the uk, so we did not bring a large fridge to oz.

I did bring a small bar fridge. I tried using it at home (we don't have air con and the temp is about 30-31 during the day) and I noticed it does 'hum' more often. Also, the insulation is definately thinner than the big fridge we bought in oz.

I decided that it would be best to use the bar fridge at work, where it is air conditioned and probably cooller than the uk.

Jay
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
People have said that UK fridges cant stand up to the Aus heat, but if that is the case, do manufacturers put different sized 'engines' in their fridges, depending on where in the world they are sending them.
I have read somewhere that fridge/freezers in tropical climates
have an extra fan in them.

Also f/f have different ratings. Those sold in UK have
a temperate rating, whereas there are also tropical and sub-tropical. The different ratings have different optimum operating temperatures. If you take a temperate rated one to a sub-tropical area it will presumably have to work harder to maintain the correct temperature.

But I still think I'll be binging mine as they are both relatively new (within the lasr couple of years).

Sorry this reply is a little late, login problems!!

Karen
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Karen P - Bring it, Bring it, Bring it

I cannot state this one enough....and read it again and again on this site

throw it out after if it really is useless - but I bet most will not be.

Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:58 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what condition they are in I think.

If you have space in the container throw them in and see how they go.
Dont get much 2nd hand for them now days so you wont be loosing out on much.

I intend to try and sell them included in the house price to bump that up a little.

TT

Originally posted by TraceyW
We're going to take our upright fridge freezer with us....it'll do as a beer fridge anyhow if it's not big enough for the kitchen....but I've got a chest freezer too in the garage...should I take that?

I've read somewhere that because our freezers/fridges aren't built for the Ozzie climate they have to work overtime to keep cool. Is this true? Will our freezer be knackered quickly and our elec bill be really stupidly high?

We want to keep our costs down when we get there and don't want to outlay on anything if we don't have to.

So, any advice would help....thanks