Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
And this is the source of some of my uncertainty. Are there really different rules for individuals importing fridges for personal use and for importers bringing them in for resale? I can't see why they should be; after all, CFCs are CFCs, HFCs are HFCs, whether they're yours personally or not.

BTW, just for clarity (or not)!, HFCs and HCFCs are two very different things. HFCs are greenhouse gases but HCFCs are ozone-depleters rather like CFCs. So far though, all the official comments that I've seen have lumped them in together, which doesn't make much sense to me.
I think the difference is that my move will bring 40g of R134a in - and as an individual I will be subject to the same laws as an Aussie when it comes to disposing of my 40g in an unspecified number of years. I think good government can distinguish between the cost to an individual (new fridge with all the energy cost involved in its manufacture) and the cost to society of building reclamation plants to service an industry. I don't know how many migrants will be shipping containers containing fridges to Australia, but I suspect the government does and has done the sums.

(BTW I'm posting this because I forgot to add an "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer to my last post.)

Oh, yeah, and I am still not a lawyer!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

I am also still waiting on a response from DEH (dept Environment & Heritage) - have sent 3 emails so far & nothing back. We are also persueing Samsung - now a high level complaint - regarding their policy on use of environmentally friendly refrigerants - we had one email from them to say that they have been using R600a since 1994 in their fridge freezers - ours is 6-8 mths old & uses HFC134a - it appears that they do not give you the technical spec with the fridge - it is not on the website & you have to take the cover off the back to find out. Will let you know if I hear anything else.

The drama continues!!

pockygoes
Old Jul 8th 2004, 3:56 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CHnJ
I think good government can distinguish between the cost to an individual (new fridge with all the energy cost involved in its manufacture) and the cost to society of building reclamation plants to service an industry.
Let's hope so!
Oh, yeah, and I am still not a lawyer!
And I'm neither a refrigeration engineer nor a chemist!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fridge/freezer - new law?

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows if this is true or not... I've just heard that there's a new customs law, bought in about a month ago, which states you cannot take fridge/freezers into Australia anymore, due to CFC issues. Does anyone know if this is true? We're using PSS to ship us to Oz and they haven't heard anything about it.

Sunchaser
Hi Sunchaser

I've been reading this post since the beginning - here is my input.

Our friends had 3 different removal companies around this week and every one told them they could NOT take their 1 year old upright freezer to OZ - no question as to can we - a definate NO from them all!

One of them had just come back from Brisbane, on company business with his removal firm so cant get much more recent than that!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

I e-mailed them direct and asked the question , here is the reply .
Attached Files
File Type: doc
dear neil.doc (21.5 KB, 164 views)
Old Jul 8th 2004, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Neil

My name is Fiona Gardner and I have just recently been forwarded your
email. I hope this response is not too late and if it is, I apologise
for the delay.

In regard to the R134a fridge/freezer that you plan to bring to
Australia, as it will be part of your household Personal Effects, there
won't be a problem in brining it in. Your customs broker should have a
Compliance Report for you to complete regarding the fridge. This form
will need to be sent to this Department, along with any customs forms,
when your goods arrive in Australia. We will then be able to do the
release (which we fax to Australian Customs Services and your Broker).

I hope this clears it up for you but if you still have questions or
would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Fiona Gardner
A/g Licensing Co-ordinator
Ozone and Synthetic Gas Team
Environment Standards Branch
Policy Coordination and Environment Protection Division
Department of the Environment and Heritage
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Telephone: + 61 2 6274 1373
Facsimile: + 61 2 6274 1610
email: [email protected]

>>> <[email protected]> 06/30/04 06:16am >>>
Would it be possible for you to explain the procedures of importing my

personel Fridge/Freezer into Australia please. I am migrating to Perth
on 1Aug and
the removals company are coming to pack my belongings on 19 July . Can
i
bring R134a (HFC) into Australia ? Do i need to get a license ? If so ,
how much
? any information would be grateful .
Cheers Neil Page
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:29 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi Bix da Boss,

I'm amazed at the life of this thread. I've been keeping a daily eye on it and it is incredible all the investigation Pockygoes and MarkMyWords have gone to. We've decided to take our 1 year old fridge and attach all it's documentation including the stuff off the internet to it and will hope for the best. We're using PSS and they're coming on the 29th and 30th of July and will arrive with our stuff on the 2nd of September. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Thanks so much to everyone who has done such a lot fact finding. It really has been appreciated!
Sunchaser,
7 weeks 4 days and counting........
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Sunchaser

Good luck with the move & let us know how you get on with the fridge & all the other stuff - keep in touch

pockygoes
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:48 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sunchaser
it is incredible all the investigation Pockygoes and MarkMyWords have gone to.
(Blush) Not that much effort in my case, just a certain amount of web-searching. Some persistence required, of course!

It'll be interesting to see how your fridge gets on, but too late for us to base a decision on it. I hope others benefit, though!