Reload this Page >

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Wikiposts

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Crown told us not to bother shipping ours. They said don't send anything that is 'doubtful', additionally they said that a UK fridge would probably pack up after a few months anyway as it wouldn't be able to cope with the rise in temp.

It's only our drinks fridge and is 10 years old so was glad to leave it. The other fridge is built into the kitchen and some jammy sod who offers under the asking price will get that along with the built in microwave and dishwasher grrr

Jill
Jill
ours is only a few months old & is one of those American Fridge freezers - so will take it - looks like it has the right refridgerant anyway - will try anyway - it is hubbies big baby - ice & filtered chilled water on tap. It would really grieve me to leave it behind.

pockygoes
Old Jun 25th 2004, 10:44 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Yes, the info is usually on the back. (Well you wouldn't want it on the front, would you? And if it were inside then the condensation/ice would get to it eventually.)

And yes, anything as recent as "a few months old" is going to be ok. Our ok 'fridge is about 5 years old. The not-ok one is about 10 years old.

Frankly this "your 'fridge won't cope with the rise in temperature" thing is IMHO on the whole a load of irrelevant b****cks. I mean the 'fridge is in the house and you're not going to let the house stay at 40 all the time are you? That's what AC is for. (If you have one in a hot un-ACed garage that's a different matter of course. Even then obviously you'll need to take into account the local climate. Melbourne and Brisbane are somewhat different!)
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:10 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Yes, the info is usually on the back. (Well you wouldn't want it on the front, would you? And if it were inside then the condensation/ice would get to it eventually.)

And yes, anything as recent as "a few months old" is going to be ok. Our ok 'fridge is about 5 years old. The not-ok one is about 10 years old.

Frankly this "your 'fridge won't cope with the rise in temperature" thing is IMHO on the whole a load of irrelevant b****cks. I mean the 'fridge is in the house and you're not going to let the house stay at 40 all the time are you? That's what AC is for. (If you have one in a hot un-ACed garage that's a different matter of course. Even then obviously you'll need to take into account the local climate. Melbourne and Brisbane are somewhat different!)

Thank Heavens. At last, someone with some sense. I made this remark a few months ago in another thread.
You have just put my mind at rest about our new fridge and freezer.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:23 pm
Go Banana's !!

Only passing on advice I was given to help - don't know why I bother sometimes .
In the last week I've been called banana's, a nutter and now these last two comments.
I'm no expert on this site, but have made every effort to pass on all the info to help others which I thought this site was for. There are other more polite ways to comment if you have differing information.
The guy from Crown had been working for them for 30 years and I think he had a little more experience than us. He was trying to help us with realistic expectations. FYI the fridge we were going to take would have gone in the garage which may have got a tad hot.

Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:28 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

Only passing on advice I was given to help - don't know why I bother sometimes .
In the last week I've been called banana's, a nutter and now these last two comments.
I'm no expert on this site, but have made every effort to pass on all the info to help others which I thought this site was for. There are other more polite ways to comment if you have differing information.
The guy from Crown had been working for them for 30 years and I think he had a little more experience than us. He was trying to help us with realistic expectations. FYI the fridge we were going to take would have gone in the garage which may have got a tad hot.

Not passing any kind of judgment, Bananas. Just my opinion.
Just as a thought, this guy from Crown, has he lived in Oz. Did he take his fridge with him?
Our friends took their little fridge and they say it works fine. Theirs is kept in the garage and while they wouldn't keep food in it, it does well for the beers and the jugs of Pimms.
They have expat friends who use their English fridge in the kitchen in an air conditioned house and it works well. Never had any problems with it.

BTW you call yourself Bananas Only joking. No offence meant
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:33 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by vicky o
Not passing any kind of judgment, Bananas. Just my opinion.
Just as a thought, this guy from Crown, has he lived in Oz. Did he take his fridge with him?
Our friends took their little fridge and they say it works fine. Theirs is kept in the garage and while they wouldn't keep food in it, it does well for the beers and the jugs of Pimms.
They have expat friends who use their English fridge in the kitchen in an air conditioned house and it works well. Never had any problems with it.

BTW you call yourself Bananas Only joking. No offence meant

Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:35 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

Looking forward to seeing you in Perth, Bananas. Hopefully in September too.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 2:21 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Only passing on advice I was given to help - don't know why I bother sometimes
I know the feeling only too well (express a minority or controversial view round here, however well-intentioned, and you can get your head well and truly bitten off), so you may rest assured I certainly wasn't getting at you. I was just expressing a strongly-held view and trying to provide useful comments on what still seems to be a very confusing matter.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

I know the feeling only too well (express a minority or controversial view round here, however well-intentioned, and you can get your head well and truly bitten off), so you may rest assured I certainly wasn't getting at you. I was just expressing a strongly-held view and trying to provide useful comments on what still seems to be a very confusing matter.

To NANAs and MARK

your views are much valued and totaly welcome
hopefuly we all help each other this is why we do this
so keep it up

As for my fridge freezer it all got a bit much so i sold it to my mother in law
it left us a bit out of pocket but worth it coz now i get to buy a new one in oz and we are going to get one of those american ones that you have to plumb in
so YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

but if i hear any thing that can help the rest of you
i will let you know straight away

:lecture:
Old Jun 27th 2004, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

these are the types of allowed/non allowed gases
check the back of the appliance near the compressor for the code.
good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
refrigerant gas listing.pdf (1.61 MB, 185 views)
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sunny spells
these are the types of allowed/non allowed gases
check the back of the appliance near the compressor for the code.
good luck
Sunnyspells

Which ones are allowed & which ones are not allowed?

Cheers

Pockygoes
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

the first one (CFCs), which are also crossed out, are NOT allowed.
all the others are (HCFC, HFC).
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

the first one (CFCs), which are also crossed out, are NOT allowed.
all the others are (HCFC, HFC).
So am I right in thinking that HFC's are OK then?

Hope this is the case - I thought ours was R600a (wrong model number) but now have found that it is HFC134a - according to your list - that is OK!!!!!

Yippee!!!!

cheers

pockygoes
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

that's the same my freezer seems to use, R134a.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

that's the same my freezer seems to use, R134a.
Hopefully we are OK then. Have just emailed the Oz customs through the website - will let you know what the outcome is - if it is OK then it may be worth printing off the email & using it as proof when we go.

Will let you know - thanks for that

pockygoes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.