pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ther answer from the governor

Originally posted by Sunny spells
Dear Lynne

Many thanks for your email.

Please be advised if a person/family is migrating to Australia, or
coming to Australia as a temporary resident or an Australian Citizen
returning to Australia they are permitted to bring with them as personal
effects, their refrigerator/freezer this may also include their vehicle.
We also require documentation/compliance report saying what type of gas
is contained in their goods.

However, in someone is importing a pre-charge of HFC/HCFC they are
required to apply for an importing licence. However, if an importer is
importing HRFC/HCFC and they do not wish to apply for a pre-charged
equipment import licence the gas must be evacuated before exporting to
Australia. Again, to demonstrate compliance, this work should also be
undertaken by a qualified technician.

My guess is Lynne the 1st paragraph of my email to you will be more
relevant to your clients.

With kind regards.

Jo Beath
A/g Assistant Director
Ozone and Synthetic Gas Team
Environment Standards Branch
Policy Coordination and Environment Protection Division
Department of the Environment and Heritage
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Telephone: + 612 62741603
Facsimile: + 612 62741610
Email: [email protected]

Thanks Sunny spells

But I am still confused - if it is HFC134a in a fridge - can we bring it or not?

Interestingly - just had an email from Samsung - they state that our fridge uses R600a - however the sticker inside says HFC134a (did not tell them about the sticker - wanted to know what their official answer was) I have asked them for documentation to prove what they are saying. Have had a look behind the fridge & there is nothing on the back - the compressor must be inside - do you think they will go to the lengths of removing the back cover if we have the official documentation to state that it uses R600a? I cannot believe that all this is over a bloody fridge - we love it & just want to take it with us!!

Have not had a reply from Customs yet. Will let you know what they say.

cheers

pockygoes
Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:44 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ther answer from the governor

Originally posted by pockygoes
But I am still confused - if it is HFC134a in a fridge - can we bring it or not?
Yes you can but it'll cost you! You've got two choices, you either "apply for an importing licence" or you get it "evacuated... by a qualified technician".
Interestingly - just had an email from Samsung - they state that our fridge uses R600a
Seems you're in luck, then. R600a is isobutane, which is an HC (i.e. hydrocarbon), which is ok for import. Lucky you, if you can the documentation to prove it! (You might want to remove that apparently misleading sticker too.)
Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but I'd say the sticker tells the truth, or a more realistic truth than the customer service guy at Samsung.
The sticker would have been put there buy the guy in the factory when they assembled the unit, while the guy on the phone may be reading the wrong line of the table ...
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:14 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by Sunny spells
Sorry but I'd say the sticker tells the truth, or a more realistic truth than the customer service guy at Samsung.
The sticker would have been put there buy the guy in the factory when they assembled the unit, while the guy on the phone may be reading the wrong line of the table ...
True, but if there's no sticker and if you can wave an official manufacturer's letter saying it runs on R600a...
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

tmichael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frig/Freezers

For what it is worth. My super dooper samsung came into country three weeks ago. No questions were raised but this thread might explain why there was no packing around it when it arrived.

I was not present at inspection, wasnt invited!

Unfortunately it took me an hour to squeeze it into its cubby hole and I cannot face taking it out to crawl underneath and look for labels.

suffice to say it came in on the 12th, ie a week afyer effective date, with no certificates.

This situation with CFCs also effects some inhalers that are standard issue in Uk but are illegal and can be confiscated here.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Frig/Freezers

Originally posted by tmichael
For what it is worth. My super dooper samsung came into country three weeks ago. No questions were raised but this thread might explain why there was no packing around it when it arrived.

Unfortunately it took me an hour to squeeze it into its cubby hole and I cannot face taking it out to crawl underneath and look for labels.

suffice to say it came in on the 12th, ie a week afyer effective date, with no certificates.

This situation with CFCs also effects some inhalers that are standard issue in Uk but are illegal and can be confiscated here.
Does it have a sticker inside - let me know what it says if you get a chance. Which model is yours?

pockygoes
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

martywild is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Samsung whopper also. I've had all kinds of advice recently about whether it'll be allowed in. It is CFC free but the label inside says it uses R134a which I believe is an HFC.
My shippers reckon it's OK but then they don't really care once they've got their cash.

Anyone have a definitive view on R134a Fridges?

Marty

p.s. there should be a label just inside on the right hand side!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:11 pm
Class 2 Guru

Sorry to be picky, but you say it arrived three weeks ago. Do you mean you got hold of it three weeks ago or it actually arrived in the country then? I'm just wondering whether it arrived before 1 June (when I believe the new rules came in) but didn't get to you until a week or so later. I can't remember offhand how long clearing customs is supposed to take.

My view was that R134a is no longer allowed, but you seem to have done what I asked someone to do, which is to provide evidence to the contrary, so thanks for that!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Sorry to be picky, but you say it arrived three weeks ago. Do you mean you got hold of it three weeks ago or it actually arrived in the country then? I'm just wondering whether it arrived before 1 June (when I believe the new rules came in) but didn't get to you until a week or so later. I can't remember offhand how long clearing customs is supposed to take.

My view was that R134a is no longer allowed, but you seem to have done what I asked someone to do, which is to provide evidence to the contrary, so thanks for that!
The plot thickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

pockygoes
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel that if some of us had done some work in the time spent over this discussion, there would be enough money earned to buy a new freezer!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

My container arrived on the dock at Adelaide on June 3rd. Quarantine inspection took place on the 9th. Most of the boxes had been opened and in many cases unpacked so it would appear to have been a thorough inspection.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

My container arrived on the dock at Adelaide on June 3rd. Quarantine inspection took place on the 9th. Most of the boxes had been opened and in many cases unpacked so it would appear to have been a thorough inspection.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 12:11 pm
Class 2 Guru

Thanks for that! Now if only we could persuade you to extract it from its cubby-hole and look for a sticker on the back...!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that! Now if only we could persuade you to extract it from its cubby-hole and look for a sticker on the back...!
Maybe a bit of gentle persuasion! PLEASE PLEASE - go on you know you want to!!! Well maybe not! Down on one knee!

please

pockygoes
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

martywild is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Samsung whopper also. I've had all kinds of advice recently about whether it'll be allowed in. It is CFC free but the label inside says it uses R134a which I believe is an HFC.
My shippers reckon it's OK but then they don't really care once they've got their cash.

Anyone have a definitive view on R134a Fridges?

Marty

p.s. there should be a label just inside on the right hand side!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.