Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:56 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Sunchaser

I think the $3000 dolar fee for the liscence rules out most fridges containing CFC's unless it can be recovered by vacuming the system.

Check what the fridge has and if it's CFC's unless it's a new one, buy one in Oz!

(I know it is possible to refill, can one of the refrigeration experts answer this?)

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I'd better check mine, although I did understand that you couldn't buy a CFC or possibly HFC unit for a number of years.

My Zanussi Fridge Freezer manual specifically says:

"The refrigeration and the insulation of this appliance do not conatain CFCs or HFCs"

My newer Zansussi freezer is cooled by Isobutane (R600a) but doesn't say anything about the insulation, however the specs on the web site again specify that this unit is CFC and HFC free.

I guess all you've got to do it prove it...
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:11 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

i may be wrong about this but im sure if you took the gas out of your fride/frezzer that contains cfc gasses and took them with you that they wouldent work as the gas that they are made to run on is banned in aus so you could not purchase the same gas anyway
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:05 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi guys,

Mr S has just phoned the Aussie customs officials and they confirmed that if the fridge is pre 1995 it will probably be CFC compliant BUT, you have to be able to prove it.

Okay, at least that's sorted out now. Any other funnies that anyone thinks we need to be aware of?

Regards,
Sunchaser
Old Jun 25th 2004, 10:18 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sunchaser
Mr S has just phoned the Aussie customs officials and they confirmed that if the fridge is pre 1995 it will probably be CFC compliant BUT, you have to be able to prove it.
I suspect you mean post-1995.

But still, CFCs are not the new issue, as far as I can determine. CFC import has been banned for quite some time but then as you say they haven't been used in manufacture for some time either. No, the new ruling is to do with HFCs and HCFCs. Go to this
Customs page, then on the left-hand side follow import/export, customs notices, Australian custom notices, then pick 2004 to see a list of publications including 2004/23 Amendments to the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 and Customs (Prohibited Exports) Regulations 1958 Ozone Depleting Substances and Synthetic Greenhouse Gases which says "Amended regulation 5K of the PI Regulations prohibits the importation, without a licence, of a substance mentioned in Schedule 10 to the PI Regulations as well as pre-charged equipment, being air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment containing a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) or a hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) and including such equipment that is fitted to motor vehicles."

So it would seem that importing CFCs, HFCs and HCFCs is completely banned as of 3 June 2004 (the date of the notice), hence presumably the need to drain them (although no mention is made of this possibility as far as I can see).

So that only leaves HCs as importable. This certainly includes pentane and isobutane but not e.g. R134a (a widely used HFC, also known as Freon).

Darn. Anyone wanna buy a fridge/freezer? Oh, no, stupid question!

Correction: Freon is not the HFC R134a but actually a CFC, CFC-12 to be precise. Sorry about that. Never trust the Web, eh?

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Jun 25th 2004 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 11:10 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi MarkMyWords,

Yes, sorry, I did mean post !

Thanks so much for the links, very useful ! We're using PSS and after yesterdays phone call they also confirmed what we now already know. Also, they thanked us for pointing out this oversight of theirs... I asked does that mean we can get a discount? ! But no, it doesn't...

Anyway, anybody returning to the UK want to buy a fridge?

Till later....
Sunchaser
Old Jun 25th 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MarkMyWords

So that only leaves HCs as importable. This certainly includes pentane and isobutane but not e.g. R134a (a widely used HFC, also known as Freon).
My huge Daewoo fridge freezer has R134a as the refridgerant, does the above mean it'll be ok to take over?
Old Jun 25th 2004, 12:38 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fridges/Freezers R143a

Hi, found this interseting so phones PSS this morning as we are moving our stuff with them in 2 weeks time to Oz.

I spoke to a lady called Louise and she has sent me a copy of their email they received from kentmoving.com in Oz when they asked about fridges/freezers. Please read below:

They are still allowed into AUSTRALIA but have to be fitted with R134a Gas which is a synthetic greenhouse gas, if it does not have this they can get them converted but must keep receipt of conversion for customs to confirm

That was a quote from an email to PSS from Kentmoving.com

Our electrical white goods have a label on the back with serial no etc, but they also state class R134a so I rang PSS and was told by Louise that they are okay.......

Anyone else got any other comments?

Chris Bailey
Old Jun 25th 2004, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fridges/Freezers R143a

Originally posted by Chris Bailey
Hi, found this interseting so phones PSS this morning as we are moving our stuff with them in 2 weeks time to Oz.

I spoke to a lady called Louise and she has sent me a copy of their email they received from kentmoving.com in Oz when they asked about fridges/freezers. Please read below:

They are still allowed into AUSTRALIA but have to be fitted with R134a Gas which is a synthetic greenhouse gas, if it does not have this they can get them converted but must keep receipt of conversion for customs to confirm

That was a quote from an email to PSS from Kentmoving.com

Our electrical white goods have a label on the back with serial no etc, but they also state class R134a so I rang PSS and was told by Louise that they are okay.......

Anyone else got any other comments?

Chris Bailey
Hope this is the case as I'd be lost without my Fridge/freezer as it can fit 48 cans of beer in the door alone!!.....I know 'cos i've tried it !
Old Jun 25th 2004, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived in oz just over 2 months ago. Pss are our shippers. we heard this week about the new law on firdges. we have a small car fridge that we were given just before we left. from what i can gather they are jsut goign to check the label on the back of the fridge. the lady in customs really didn't seem to think it would be ab ig deal.
will let you know what happens.
a word of warning. our shipment was checked yesterday by quarintine. Live spiders were found in one carton, so the whole shipment has to be fumigated . We had cleaned everything with jeyes fluid. i can only think in the time between cleaning and the packers coming in a spider got in to something. or one may even have gotten in on the day. not sure how to prevent this completely, but i would suggest sealing everything you clean in cling film or the like, until the packers come in. It is going to cost us $1,000 for the inspection and the fumigation:scared:
oh and they also found a christmas dec with seeds in. have no idea what, but htey have found one! that is going to cost $33.00 to throw away!
good luck all.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Just checked the details for our fridge - it states that it uses R600(a) refridgerant - which is an environmently friendly product that does not contribute to greenhouse gases etc.

will that be OK?

pockygoes
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:37 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Well this is all very confusing isn't it?

The web-based research that I and others have done suggests that CFCs, HFCs and HCFCs are now banned from import. This includes R134a which is an HFC. So why are the shippers passing on the message that it's ok?

At least simple HCs are ok. This includes pentane and isobutane (R600a).

So based on what Oz customs web info says, I reckon: R600a ok, R134a not ok.

But the shippers claim that they're being told: R600a ok, R134a also ok.

Take your pick, take a risk? Whom do you trust more?

Addendum: I said earlier that Freon was R134a. It's not, it seems; rather, it's CFC-12 and hence definitely not ok.

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Jun 25th 2004 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fridges/Freezers R143a

Originally posted by PHIZA
Hope this is the case as I'd be lost without my Fridge/freezer as it can fit 48 cans of beer in the door alone!!.....I know 'cos i've tried it !
This just sounds like my kind of fridge

Cheers, , Mark.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

When we ship our fridge/freezer - is it worth sellotaping the user manual (which contains the technical spec) to the front of the door - as proof - or will the info be on the workings at the back (too heavy to move to have a look)?

Christ they don't make it very clear do they?

pockygoes
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:33 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by pockygoes
When we ship our fridge/freezer - is it worth sellotaping the user manual (which contains the technical spec) to the front of the door - as proof - or will the info be on the workings at the back (too heavy to move to have a look)?

Christ they don't make it very clear do they?

pockygoes

Crown told us not to bother shipping ours. They said don't send anything that is 'doubtful', additionally they said that a UK fridge would probably pack up after a few months anyway as it wouldn't be able to cope with the rise in temp.

It's only our drinks fridge and is 10 years old so was glad to leave it. The other fridge is built into the kitchen and some jammy sod who offers under the asking price will get that along with the built in microwave and dishwasher grrr

Jill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.