View Poll Results: What are you doing with your "free" cash?
Spending
24.62%
Saving
44.62%
Paying off debts
26.15%
Dont know...
4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

"Free" money

Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:50 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: "Free" money

Originally Posted by bridie
we get ours at the end of the year usually but we got this bonus this week (as with the $1000 before xmas)
There are two types of annual claims, one via the ATO and one via the FTO. I think that may be the difference, but I am not sure on that.

It is however, changing this year to only one type of annual claim.

Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There are two types of annual claims, one via the ATO and one via the FTO. I think that may be the difference, but I am not sure on that.

So ABC how do I figure out whether I am entitiled to some money and how do I get hold of it? I only earned something like $13000 in the tax year 2007/2008 and I have done a tax return. Hubby earns lots more than that - does that mean I am not entitled to the doh or wot?!! We don't get any benifits at all from the government......so I am not sure if that makes me ineligible...... I KNOW NAFFIN'

Love

Rudi
x

Last edited by Rudi; Mar 12th 2009 at 5:59 am.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

yes out tax accountant used to claim it for us and i know last year she said it was the last time she could do it...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:12 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably get some ($900) but your hubby may not.

At the end of your tax return were you still NET a payer of tax? You probably were if you earnt $13k.

If your OH earnt $100k or less he will also likely get up to $900.

If you have kids you MAY be eligible for Family Tax Benefit which would entitle you to another $950 per child. You need to be PR or citizen and roughly have a total income under $150k.

Originally Posted by Rudi
So ABC how do I figure out whether I am entitiled to some money and how do I get hold of it? I only earned something like $13000 in the tax year 2007/2008 and I have done a tax return. Hubby earns lots more than that - does that mean I am not entitled to the doh or wot?!! We don't get any benifits at all from the government......so I am not sure if that makes me ineligible...... I KNOW NAFFIN'

Love

Rudi
x
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
You will probably get some ($900) but your hubby may not.

At the end of your tax return were you still NET a payer of tax? You probably were if you earnt $13k.

If your OH earnt $100k or less he will also likely get up to $900.

If you have kids you MAY be eligible for Family Tax Benefit which would entitle you to another $950 per child. You need to be PR or citizen and roughly have a total income under $150k.

So how do i go about getting my money, I think I probably was a net payer of tax - not a lot, but some? He won't get anything at all and we are not eligible for FTB - income is too high. We are citizens.

Rudi
x
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

There's a money calculator on the www.ato.gov.au website for anybody interested in finding out if they are eligible.

I also read it as one has to be an 'Australian resident for tax purposes' and not so much dependent on visa/citizenship status - is that correct?

and I'm talking about the $900 tax bonus - not family tax benefit

Last edited by Deutschmaster; Mar 12th 2009 at 6:28 am. Reason: Clarifying
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, visa status is irrelevant for eligibility for the free money.

In the case of TEMPORARY VISAs though, they are not eligible for FAMILY TAX BENEFIT whatever their inome levels and would as a s result not be eligible for the "back to school" bonus.

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
There's a money calculator on the www.ato.gov.au website for anybody interested in finding out if they are eligible.

I also read it as one has to be an 'Australian resident for tax purposes' and not so much dependent on visa/citizenship status - is that correct?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:28 am
Karma Comedian

If you have sent your tax return back and advised them how to pay you if they owe you money then they will use that method to pay you the $900 sometime in April I believe.

So how do i go about getting my money, I think I probably was a net payer of tax - not a lot, but some? He won't get anything at all and we are not eligible for FTB - income is too high. We are citizens.

Rudi
x
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:37 am
ABCDiamond

Love

Rudi
x
For the current year, the ATO quotes: "Low income earners under $14,000 will pay no tax, due to the Low Income Tax Offset."

I'll have to check the 2007/08 year, but it may be that you actually paid no tax.
Do you have your 07/08 Tax notice of Assessement ? That will tell you if you paid tax or not, after all rebates etc.

If his income was over $100,000 then he gets nothing, otherwise he should get something.

I just checked and the 2007/08 threshold was "Low income earners under $11,000 will pay no tax, due to the Low Income Tax Offset"
So you should have paid some tax, and would therefore be due a $900 bonus.
It will be paid to wherever any tax refund went last year.

Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Just goes to show what a waste of 'money' this is as a majority will be saving it!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

For the current year, the ATO quotes: "Low income earners under $14,000 will pay no tax, due to the Low Income Tax Offset."

I'll have to check the 2007/08 year, but it may be that you actually paid no tax.
Do you have your 07/08 Tax notice of Assessement ? That will tell you if you paid tax or not, after all rebates etc.

If his income was over $100,000 then he gets nothing, otherwise he should get something.

I just checked and the 2007/08 threshold was "Low income earners under $11,000 will pay no tax, due to the Low Income Tax Offset"
So you should have paid some tax, and would therefore be due a $900 bonus.
It will be paid to wherever any tax refund went last year.
yep that's me as well, and i also get a small business tax offset as well (cant remember the name) so definitely paid nothing...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:06 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
me too.... which is a bugger cos you'd think those on the lowest incomes are the ones who need it the most!
Bridie as you are home with Katie, are you not getting FTB b? If so, you will still get your $900, just through Centrelink.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Bridie as you are home with Katie, are you not getting FTB b? If so, you will still get your $900, just through Centrelink.
Thats the payment from the FAO NOT from that Tax office though....

There are two. $900- $950 as a "back to school payment" X 3 for us and we got that today This is from FAO

Then $900 from the tax office (but could be a sliding scale?) if you have done a tax return for '08 and paid tax...Each...so 2X for us...due in April sometime.

Oh and we are saving some and spending some.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teza
She might not be. It depends on the income.

Family Tax Benefit B is income tested. So it's possible to be on a single income with one parents at home and still not get it. That's us, we would qualify for it on all other criteria except we don't meet the income test because my husband makes too much.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

Then $900 from the tax office (but could be a sliding scale?) if you have done a tax return for '08 and paid tax...Each...so 2X for us...due in April sometime.

Oh and we are saving some and spending some.

Ahaa thats the one I'm expecting !

Talk about confusing.

The Kids Centerlink one wont be till tax time for us.

Note toself....Maybe I should read a newspaper now and again.

Anxious wait now over.

Thanks Hevs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.