Foxtel

Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:18 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foxtel

Much is written here about the poor quality of Austrlaian TV. I agree that free to air TV leaves a lot to be desired, but i must defend Foxtel. It has all the regular great channels such as Discovery, History, BBC World and many more informative and interesting channels which do not have the adverts interferring with programmes. Loads of sports channels. English, European soccer and plenty of other stuff from outside of Oz.

My advice to all newbies arriving in the land down under. Sign up to Foxtel ASAP.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:20 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to add that Sky News digital also allows you access to British Sky news 24hrs a day, so if you want to keep updated with whats happening there its always available.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Only problem is that you need to sign a 24 month contract with them, which is no good if you are renting property with a view to buying somewhere.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I was told when I signed up for 24 months that I could take it with me if I moved rental for an additional fee of $75. I could have had the package for less than 24 months but was told that the installation fee of $150 would have been a lot more.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxtel

Originally posted by cadabra
Much is written here about the poor quality of Austrlaian TV. I agree that free to air TV leaves a lot to be desired, but i must defend Foxtel. It has all the regular great channels such as Discovery, History, BBC World and many more informative and interesting channels which do not have the adverts interferring with programmes. Loads of sports channels. English, European soccer and plenty of other stuff from outside of Oz.

My advice to all newbies arriving in the land down under. Sign up to Foxtel ASAP.
Australian TV rates poorly when compared to UK TV - which is recognised as being the best in the world - but it's really not that bad compared to other western countries. Try watching free-to-air TV in the US and count the number and frequency of their ads. And crappy programs far outnumber decent ones there.

Most good programs from the UK and US are shown on Australian TV (eventually) so you do get to see the pick of what's available world-wide. I have no complaints about ABC/SBS News and current affairs programs - though the commercial channels' nightly 'current affairs' programs are only watched in this house for their entertainment value.

I think a lot of the complaints about Australian TV are unjustified and probably have a lot to do with unfamiliarity with the people and personalities on TV.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

john&jules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sitting here with my rose tinted specs on

Surely it doesnt matter what the TVs like youll be too busy going to the drive through bottle shop on your way home from work picking up your bottle/crate of Ozzie shiraz and sitting on the verandah watching the kids in the swimming pool whilst also watching the sun set, commenting to the new neighbours who have just been round for their 5th bbq that week on how beautiful the weathers been lately and how you dont miss sitting down in front of the telly watching eastenders, corrie, top of the pops and england losing the football in yet another major tournament.

jules
Old Apr 20th 2004, 5:07 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

While on holiday in Aus, I watched a bit of Aussie TV and was pleasantly surprised. After reading posts on here I was expecting the worst, but it really wasn't that bad.
Typical night:
Changing rooms (with an Aussie Carol Smilie lookalike)
Ground Force
The Bill
Then a film (Pearl Harbour was on, I dont think that has been shown here on terrestral TV yet)
Frasier.
Also English football is shown live on free TV channel SBS (we watched both FA cup semi-finals live)
So overall it was just like being at home!

In fact the new reality show here where they are all building a house is a straight rip-off of the Aussie show 'Hothouse'.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:59 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sitting here with my rose tinted specs on

Originally posted by john&jules
Surely it doesnt matter what the TVs like youll be too busy going to the drive through bottle shop on your way home from work picking up your bottle/crate of Ozzie shiraz and sitting on the verandah watching the kids in the swimming pool whilst also watching the sun set, commenting to the new neighbours who have just been round for their 5th bbq that week on how beautiful the weathers been lately and how you dont miss sitting down in front of the telly watching eastenders, corrie, top of the pops and england losing the football in yet another major tournament.

jules
No stereotypes here then?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Foxtel

Originally posted by nickyc
..... Try watching free-to-air TV in the US and count the number and frequency of their ads. ..........
Australian TV suffers from this too.

On Sunday the alternative viewing to the Logies was The Godfather 2. Because of ads the total viewing time was 4hr 20 mins. (The actual film is 3 hours 10 mins)

I set the video for that one.....
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Sharpy67
I was told when I signed up for 24 months that I could take it with me if I moved rental for an additional fee of $75. I could have had the package for less than 24 months but was told that the installation fee of $150 would have been a lot more.
Hi Sharpy,

Thanks for your reply.

I must admitted, we hadn't actually contacted Foxtel as we'd read the 24 months contract stuff and assumed that we would just not be able to sign up for the meantime.

I'd be interested to know how they actually install foxtel in your home. Do they wire it into your existing tv aerial points or do they have to drill new holes in the wall etc. The block of units/flats that we are currently renting in is only around 18 months old, so maybe they were built with the necessary wiring in mind.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:42 am
Just Joined

jak xx is an unknown quantity at this point

oz tv is really quite good, simpsons is on all the time, theres always reality shows etc. and kath and kim is fab
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:42 am
Just Joined

jak xx is an unknown quantity at this point

oh yeah and we get the british sketch show. pete and tina to win the oz hot house

Last edited by jak xx; Apr 21st 2004 at 9:46 am.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:53 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Looks like commercial-less TV to me:
BBC ONE
Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:41 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WhiteRose

I'd be interested to know how they actually install foxtel in your home. Do they wire it into your existing tv aerial points or do they have to drill new holes in the wall etc. The block of units/flats that we are currently renting in is only around 18 months old, so maybe they were built with the necessary wiring in mind.
Whiterose,

The installers dig a trench (underground using a machine nicknamed a worm with very little disturbance above) from the nearest access hole on the footpath. Then the cable goes to a box attached to the outside of the house and is then run around the eaves (if applicable) and inserted through an unobtrusive hole in the wall into the outlet. It can't be put through the normal sockets as they are of a different design. If you live an area that can only receive satallite there is a need to install a dish on the roof.

Just be prepared for a possible wait for installation if they are very busy as I found out when I first hooked up. Twice they promised to come but I found out that they had doubled-booked. Threatened to write to CEO Foxtel,(actually had letter ready to post) and then received immediate satisfactory action and as installers have recently been on strike shortly after start of Digital service......???

The normal terrestrial outlet and antenna is left connected so that you can watch/tape while watching/taping cable. If already installed should have rectangular plate similar to terrestrial TV plug outlet. Look and see if you have two of these plates (one may have FOXTEL printed on it, if already installed)

If you live in an apartment and cable is not already installed you have to ask permission of the body corporate and the other residents to install. If they agree fine, but if you have even one person say no, then it can become very difficult to get it installed,as a co-worker has recently found out.

Foxtel customer service can advise on options available to you.

Last edited by The Bloke; Apr 21st 2004 at 11:55 am.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by The Bloke
Whiterose,

The installers dig a trench (underground using a machine nicknamed a worm with very little disturbance above) from the nearest access hole on the footpath. Then the cable goes to a box attached to the outside of the house and is then run around the eaves (if applicable) and inserted through an unobtrusive hole in the wall into the outlet. It can't be put through the normal sockets as they are of a different design. If you live an area that can only receive satallite there is a need to install a dish on the roof.

Just be prepared for a possible wait for installation if they are very busy as I found out when I first hooked up. Twice they promised to come but I found out that they had doubled-booked. Threatened to write to CEO Foxtel,(actually had letter ready to post) and then received immediate satisfactory action and as installers have recently been on strike shortly after start of Digital service......???

The normal terrestrial outlet and antenna is left connected so that you can watch/tape while watching/taping cable. If already installed should have rectangular plate similar to terrestrial TV plug outlet. Look and see if you have two of these plates (one may have FOXTEL printed on it, if already installed)

If you live in an apartment and cable is not already installed you have to ask permission of the body corporate and the other residents to install. If they agree fine, but if you have even one person say no, then it can become very difficult to get it installed,as a co-worker has recently found out.

Foxtel customer service can advise on options available to you.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that may be the case.

Sounds like it may just be too much hassle. I guess I'll have to put up with watching the NRL games in the early hours of the morning on C9 for the timebeing.