Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any links for small business set up in Oz Please

Any links for small business set up in Oz Please

Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Smile Any links for small business set up in Oz Please

Just reading thread from Cadbury Fingers, thanks ABC for referal to tax site just printing off business section as looking to start small business from home when we settle in Perth.

Does anyone else have any useful links or advice, all greatly welcomed

Thanks

Teresa
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any links for small business set up in Oz Please

Originally posted by Swifts
Just reading thread from Cadbury Fingers, thanks ABC for referal to tax site just printing off business section as looking to start small business from home when we settle in Perth.

Thanks

Teresa
No links or advice, but a second question. Do you have to be on a business visa in order to start or buy a business or franchise? Just trying to keep our options open!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:50 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks

Teresa
Teresa,

To apply for an ABN number.
ABN = Australian Business Number

Information for Limited Companies
Starting a company or business

Is there anything specific that you need info on ?

Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by jeff hardy
No links or advice, but a second question. Do you have to be on a business visa in order to start or buy a business or franchise? Just trying to keep our options open!

we are on skilled ind for husband's trade, he will look for employment, its me who wants to start my own business and yes you are allowed to do so on a permanent resident visa.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Teresa,

To apply for an ABN number.
ABN = Australian Business Number

Information for Limited Companies
Starting a company or business

Is there anything specific that you need info on ?
Thanks ABC, just wanted some start info at this stage as have alot of research to do now, its not our main source of income as Graham will look for employment and the business will be as second income for me

Cheers

Teresa
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Teresa
I've just posted a few links below. The first one I've used the others are a sample of what comes up from Google - just try "small business australia", "small business perth" and other variations in the search box.

http://www.businessaccess.vic.gov.au.../pages/sbvhome

http://www.qualitybusinessinstitute....Australia.html

http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/lib...e/business.htm

http://www.buscorp.com.au/

Good luck.

OzTennis

Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by OzTennis
I've just posted a few links below. The first one I've used the others are a sample of what comes up from Google - just try "small business australia", "small business perth" and other variations in the search box.

http://www.businessaccess.vic.gov.au.../pages/sbvhome

http://www.qualitybusinessinstitute....Australia.html

http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/lib...e/business.htm

http://www.buscorp.com.au/

Good luck.

OzTennis

Thanks Oz you're a star
Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Oz you're a star
'No worries mate'.

I once made up and taught a course in setting up and running a small business (in the TAFE college at Bendigo in Victoria). I went down to the Small Business Unit of the Victorian Government in Melbourne, as it was called then, and they were incredibly helpful. I went back to the college with literally a bootful of information on how to set up and run your own business which provided most of the materials for the short course.

The first website I pointed you to is for the same unit under its new name. I would expect similar sites in WA and the other states. They fall over themselves to help you because, as the director said to me at the time, those establishing small businesseswill be paying taxes and often employing people who pay taxes and don't draw benefits!

OzTennis
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Anjali is an unknown quantity at this point

Those links are indeed very interesting!
Teresa, what kind of business are you going to start?