Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

forwarding mail via post office

forwarding mail via post office

Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:39 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default forwarding mail via post office

I thought you maybe interested in this great service, when I left the UK I arranged via the post office for my mail to be forwarded to Australia for a period of one year. It cost approx £60.00. The great use has been when I have ordered things off the net like bed linen etc etc from Laura Ashley and smellies from Moulton Brown, I get them sent to my old UK address and the post office send them to Aus at no extra charge....how good is that...it is one great service!!!!!!!!!!! I have saved many many £££ and $$$$$$

Gary and Terri
Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: forwarding mail via post office

Originally Posted by Gary / Terri
I thought you maybe interested in this great service, when I left the UK I arranged via the post office for my mail to be forwarded to Australia for a period of one year. It cost approx £60.00. The great use has been when I have ordered things off the net like bed linen etc etc from Laura Ashley and smellies from Moulton Brown, I get them sent to my old UK address and the post office send them to Aus at no extra charge....how good is that...it is one great service!!!!!!!!!!! I have saved many many £££ and $$$$$$

Gary and Terri
Now that is a great tip - I was going to set up a redirection from current address to my parents' address, but now I'm thinking the international redirection might actually work out to be a much better deal.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Gary and Terri
If you had the goods shipped to an international address you would not have to pay VAT on them. Does the saving in postage outweigh the saving in VAT?

Depending on the value of the parcel, Aussie customs may charge you import duty & GST (if they intercept the parcel). Bit of a bummer if you paid VAT in the UK and then have to pay GST on top!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Gary and Terri
I was wondering about this... so they don't charge you at the far end? I was expecting to have to collect the post from the post office as i figured it would be underpaid!

Have you been able to guage roughly how many extra days it takes to get out to you?

Dave