Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Forget what I said about Nationwide cards!

Forget what I said about Nationwide cards!

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Forget what I said about Nationwide cards!

Originally Posted by carlap
Maybe you should not be too hasty about dumping N/W. A I read it they will charge 1%. I remember other banks charging 2.5%. The other thing I like about N/W is you get something close to the interbank rate which is again better than a lot give you.

You don't have to use it, but it does give extra options and costs you nothing if you don't

It is another kick in the teeth, but still better than a lot of others. Of course if I have got this wrong, please let me know.
Hmmm makes sense then. Maybe I'll have another look then

Thx!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:23 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
Maybe you should not be too hasty about dumping N/W. A I read it they will charge 1%. I remember other banks charging 2.5%. The other thing I like about N/W is you get something close to the interbank rate which is again better than a lot give you.

You don't have to use it, but it does give extra options and costs you nothing if you don't

It is another kick in the teeth, but still better than a lot of others. Of course if I have got this wrong, please let me know.
Yup, it's still the best that's available.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:55 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I received a letter from Nationwide on Saturday with a pamphlet confirming their changes:

"Summary of changes
At Nationwide we are committed to offering good value to all of our members. To ensure that we're able to continue to offer long term value, an excellent service and a wide range of benefits, we must from time to time review the terms and conditions of our products.
When you use a Nationwide Visa debit card to make transactions in certain currencies other than sterling, Visa charge a fee for each transaction and Nationwide currently pays that fee on your behalf. From 1 June 2009 we will start to pass on this fee to you and it will be included in the sterling amount which appears on your statement. The fee is currently 0.84%. From 1 July 2009 this fee will increase to 1%. The fee does not apply to sterling transactions. It is only payable on transactions in currencies outside the Visa Europe region. For details of the countries affected please see nationwide.co.uk/foreigntransactions or ask at your local branch.
In the future, there may be other foreign currency or overseas transaction charges that we incur which we may pass on to you and we will notify you 30 days before these new charges take effect.

Your new terms and conditions
To cover these changes the following clause 38 will be added to your terms and conditions:
38. Any charges incurred by us on your behalf from our card scheme provider or other body or institution may be passed on to you. Details of these charges are available at nationwide.co.uk/current account or from your local branch."
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I received a letter from Nationwide on Saturday with a pamphlet confirming their changes:

"Summary of changes
At Nationwide we are committed to offering good value to all of our members. To ensure that we're able to continue to offer long term value, an excellent service and a wide range of benefits, we must from time to time review the terms and conditions of our products.
When you use a Nationwide Visa debit card to make transactions in certain currencies other than sterling, Visa charge a fee for each transaction and Nationwide currently pays that fee on your behalf. From 1 June 2009 we will start to pass on this fee to you and it will be included in the sterling amount which appears on your statement. The fee is currently 0.84%. From 1 July 2009 this fee will increase to 1%. The fee does not apply to sterling transactions. It is only payable on transactions in currencies outside the Visa Europe region. For details of the countries affected please see nationwide.co.uk/foreigntransactions or ask at your local branch.
In the future, there may be other foreign currency or overseas transaction charges that we incur which we may pass on to you and we will notify you 30 days before these new charges take effect.

Your new terms and conditions
To cover these changes the following clause 38 will be added to your terms and conditions:
38. Any charges incurred by us on your behalf from our card scheme provider or other body or institution may be passed on to you. Details of these charges are available at nationwide.co.uk/current account or from your local branch."
If this is a "visa" charge, then what about those with a standard cashcard? I know that these can be used abroard...
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
If this is a "visa" charge, then what about those with a standard cashcard? I know that these can be used abroard...
Ah. There was a small paragraph above the "Summary of changes" that strangely my scanner couldn't convert. It reads:

"Please read the following information about changes to your FlexAccount conditions, which include the Cash Card Account terms and conditions"

Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:54 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

I posted this somewhere else but as I understand it, Visa not N/Wide are the company charging 1% so N/Wide are obviously going to pass that cost onto the card holder. Now 1% is nothing in terms of charges for overseas transactions our card only allows £300 withdrawals from cash machine so we would have to pay £3 per transaction which we are more than happy to do, this is only an emergency card anyway as our wages pay for our day to day living expenses.

TIP: Since VISA are charging 1% for debit/credit cards, why not change your N/Wide debit card to a N/Wide cash card as this is produced by Mastercard so there should be no fees, unless N/Wide have changed the payments on this too.....
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussiedreamz
I posted this somewhere else but as I understand it, Visa not N/Wide are the company charging 1% so N/Wide are obviously going to pass that cost onto the card holder. Now 1% is nothing in terms of charges for overseas transactions our card only allows £300 withdrawals from cash machine so we would have to pay £3 per transaction which we are more than happy to do, this is only an emergency card anyway as our wages pay for our day to day living expenses.

TIP: Since VISA are charging 1% for debit/credit cards, why not change your N/Wide debit card to a N/Wide cash card as this is produced by Mastercard so there should be no fees, unless N/Wide have changed the payments on this too.....
The "surcharge" used to be 2.75% on almost every card except the N/W gold credit card. I spent tens of thousands of USdollars setting up a house ten years ago, and it was a very real saving compared with using my Barclaycard. It's sad to see the N/W card adopting the same surcharge, and means many people will probably stop using it.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

For people living here there is a Wizard credit card that does not have overseas transaction fees. You also get an exchange rate that is very close to the one that is shown on www.xe.com.