Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Foreign Exchange Rates for Cash - UK/ Oz?

Foreign Exchange Rates for Cash - UK/ Oz?

Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road
Default Foreign Exchange Rates for Cash - UK/ Oz?

Hi

We have cash to take over and just wondering is the exchange rate better in Oz or should we buy $AUD before we come over? Over here it seems to be no better than 2.23 (and that was a week ago).

Can anyone tell me if any of the fe places in Oz are any better if we leave it to sell once we are over there?

Cheers
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:12 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all
Default Re: Foreign Exchange Rates for Cash - UK/ Oz?

Hi,
I just bought AUD for my holiday / reccie on Saturday. After searching on travel supermarket.com and phoning around I got a rate of 2.186AUD to the pound from Thomas Cook on the high street - about 0.18 better than some of the internet rates I got quoted.
Good Luck.
KJJ
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:15 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...remember, your UK bank card will work in ATMs overseas....there really is no need to change money in advance. Check what fees your bank charges in advance though.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

we tried to exchange some english cash when we got here.but they charge 8% to do so.thats even with the bank our accounts are with
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolk
Hi

We have cash to take over and just wondering is the exchange rate better in Oz or should we buy $AUD before we come over? Over here it seems to be no better than 2.23 (and that was a week ago).

Can anyone tell me if any of the fe places in Oz are any better if we leave it to sell once we are over there?

Cheers

If it's for a large amount, then use someone like OzForex:

http://ozforex.com/

If it's for a smaller amount, then use someone like tranzfers:

http://www.tranzfers.com/

We used Ozforex and they were fantasic, can't recommend them highly enough
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

Will the transfer companies buy actual cash? We have our bank accounts, but they are staying here until we need them, it is the actual cold hard cash we have at home that I am trying to exchange and struggling to find a good rate for.
It's so depresssing!!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolk
Will the transfer companies buy actual cash? We have our bank accounts, but they are staying here until we need them, it is the actual cold hard cash we have at home that I am trying to exchange and struggling to find a good rate for.
It's so depresssing!!
I'm a bit confused.....how much cold hard cash do you have lying around?? Why not stick it back in your UK account and then withdraw it from and ATM when you get here? If you're just talking a coupla hundred quid I wouldn't get depressed over it.....shopping around is gonna maybe get you an extra $10.

Do you have an Aus bank account? If not then the transfer companies are out of the picture.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

ever heard of 'black', some things you just can't put into a bank.
don't forget you can only take $10,000 cash into oz P/P. without declaring it.