ford cars

Old Dec 27th 2003, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

scuttle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ford cars

Hi all, we are flying out to adelaide in two weeks, so starting to look at what type of car we are going to buy....but getting a bit confused on what the difference is between ford falcons, fairmonts etc which are called AUII, AUIII and BA ??? been on the ford website, but doesn't seem to refer to the cars with these letters.... Can anyone help?

Thanks
Joe & Carley
Old Dec 27th 2003, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Not very good with cars but the letters refer to which is the current model. I think it's the AU model that wasn't very popular with Falcon, mainly due to it's styling - but I do know the latest model is really selling well and looks good, so if you can afford that then I would buy one of those.

A Fairlane is a better, larger version of a Falcon, as is a Fairmont which I think is the luxury version. (Might have got them the wrong way round!)

I drive an old Fairlane, and never had any complaints about it apart from the amount of petrol I go through with a 4 litre engine!

I'll ask my ex hubby about what's what with Fords as he works in the car industry for a component supplier and knows all about them. Might be worth having a look at the NRMA site for write ups on them too if you got time.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 8:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

F O R D

Found On Roadside Dead

Why not pick a reliable brand that does not leave pommies to fritter in the heat.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 9:22 pm
Badge

80s

Falcons look like UK 80s Ford Granadas - very square. They are XF etc, newer ones have gear shift on floor , old ones on steering column...

1990-93ish

EA Falcons look like more 90 ish - but the they are still quite square - beautiful.
EB - Another revision

mid 90s

EF? Falcons go even more smoother edged, but not as bad as in Europe. Very handsome car. Still quite square. One I would go for.

1998 -

AU car. Complete departure. Rear has a curved window. Yuck. Looking more European.

2002 New BA Falcon. Massive revision as the AU was hated by Aussies (and Badgers), and was losing market share to the Holden Commodore.

Badge

Old Dec 27th 2003, 9:31 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I owned an EF series one, bought new 1994. Biggest money pit I have ever owned. Neighbour had one he bought second hand, never spent a cent on it. EF II and later had ironed out the hundreds of faults they had with the EF I.

Also look at the majority make of taxis in Australia.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Why a ford?..i much prefer Holdens. I love all the whistles and bells in mine (commodore berlina)
Old Dec 27th 2003, 9:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
Why a ford?..i much prefer Holdens. I love all the whistles and bells in mine (commodore berlina)
Why a Holden? Aren't they as bad as a Ford?
Old Dec 27th 2003, 10:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloke says that Holdens are only just Hold-in together........
If you want to buy a new/second-hand car try and get Series II of the model as Series I has all the bugs - in theory they are ironed out by round 2!

By the way Badgers, the Bloke says you've got taste so you should both get on fine!!!
Old Dec 28th 2003, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Cheers for all the advice........

Joe & Carley
Old Dec 28th 2003, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ford cars

Originally posted by scuttle
Hi all, we are flying out to adelaide in two weeks
Try Stillwell Ford at Medindie for a secondhand ford and ask for Chris Windsor. He's a nice chap (My Bro-in-law) and their probably the best Ford yard in Adelaide!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: ford cars

Originally posted by evorobin
Try Stillwell Ford at Medindie for a secondhand ford and ask for Chris Windsor. He's a nice chap (My Bro-in-law) and their probably the best Ford yard in Adelaide!

Big cheers for that

Joe & Carley
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:58 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

All Ford Falcons are a nightmare on the fuel - expect 22mpg on the old ones and 25 mpg on the post 90's ones. I had a 1988 Falcon and it cost me a fortune in petrol. Either look for a LPG (gas) converted one, or a totally different make of car with a 4 cylinder engine in - around 2.0 litres is the best size for long trips I reckon... Any less displacement than that in a big car and you risk over heating in Aussie conditions and much more than 2 litres you are just burning too much fuel. Also look for fuel injected models which save further on fuel, or even a diesel which are now available there in car form.