Food Parcels

Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Food Parcels

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi my family want to send me a food parcel, are they allowed? We have asked for Bisto Gravy, Trifle (can't find it here), Paxo Stuffing, and my husband wants Pork scratchings.

Stacey x
You can have anything delivered www.britishsupermarketworldwide.com
More expensive than family sending it though!

Leigh
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Hi my family want to send me a food parcel, are they allowed? We have asked for Bisto Gravy, Trifle (can't find it here), Paxo Stuffing, and my husband wants Pork scratchings.

Stacey x
Any thoughts on Bread sauce mix? I've tried making my own here and it just doesn't work for me!!! It's $3.75 in the British shop for a packet that cost me 39p in the UK - it's just heart breaking!!!!!....and budget breaking!!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
You can have anything delivered www.britishsupermarketworldwide.com
More expensive than family sending it though!

Leigh
I checked out what it would cost to order a bag of Haribo on that site and p & p was 25 pounds !!!!!! The bag itself was nearly 1.50 pounds - major rip off
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Here's my recipe if you want to try it...

2 cans strawberries
Sara Lee pound cake or just plain madeira cake
2 packets of Strawberry jelly mix
Custard powder
I litre of milk
Cream
Punnet of strawberries
Sherry

1.Cut cake into 1 inch cubes and put in a single layer in the base of flat bottomed dish
2.Sprinkle the cake cubes liberally with sherry
3.Drain canned strawberries but keep the juice
4.Poke the drained strawberries into the gaps between the cake cubes. They're really squashy so easy to do
5.Make up the jelly using 50% water and 50% drained strawberry juice.
6.Pour the jelly mix over the cake cubes and strawberries. Make sure all the cake is well soaked with jelly. Jelly should just cover the top of the cake cubes.
7.Stick in fridge until completely set.
8.Make up custard using 1 litre of milk and 50% extra custard powder so the custard will set very firmly
9.Pour over the top of the cake/jelly.
10.Stick in fridge until cold.
11.Whip heaps of cream and cover the whole lot with it.
12.Decorate the top with fresh strawberries.

This trifle ends up so solid that you can almost cut slices of it. It is so easy to make and tastes fantastic.

Tried your recipe for Trifle today and husband and kids loved it, unchecked it off our food parcel list. Will be definitely doing it again.

Stacey
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
I checked out what it would cost to order a bag of Haribo on that site and p & p was 25 pounds !!!!!! The bag itself was nearly 1.50 pounds - major rip off

I bought some haribo sweets today from Aldi and it only cost me a couple of dollars. Stocked up on Yorkshire puddings whilst i was there to.

Stacey
Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

hello all
why do the english miss packet food so much ???? its all rubish
paxo dried onion and sage and bread crumbs wow hard to make
bisto meat juice flour stock seasoning wow hard to make
yorki pud flour eggs milk seasoning wow hard to make
not being funny but get a cook book,australia has a lot of fresh food why dont you use it???
Dave
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello all
not being funny but get a cook book,australia has a lot of fresh food why dont you use it???
Dave
Cos by the time my boss has run me ragged for 10 or more hours the last thing I feel like doing is trying to make stuffing!You may be a chef and love doing it, I however am just knackered and all I want to do is eat the easy way. I may be a fat lazy slob, but thats my choice
Now wheres that box of yorkshire puddings........
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Pollyana;4533158]Cos by the time my boss has run me ragged for 10 or more hours the last thing I feel like doing is trying to make stuffing!You may be a chef and love doing it, I however am just knackered and all I want to do is eat the easy way. I may be a fat lazy slob, but thats my choice
Now wheres that box of yorkshire puddings........
yes we all have a choice how we eat. i always do fresh even if i do 60/80 hr weeks. but the end product is alot better and less fat and salt. dont mean to upset anyone just my oppinion
dave
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some haribo sweets today from Aldi and it only cost me a couple of dollars. Stocked up on Yorkshire puddings whilst i was there to.

Stacey
Show off - we don't have Aldi shops here in WA. The english shops sell the starmix but not the kiddi mix I like best
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

hello all
Dave
I have tried making bread sauce so many times - please tell me how and I will willingly stop paying $3.75 a packet!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Food Parcels

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
I have tried making bread sauce so many times - please tell me how and I will willingly stop paying $3.75 a packet!!!!
Traditional bread sauce is one of the great, classic British sauces, but I think it has suffered from either not being made properly or – worst of all – being made from a mix or packet. The real thing is beautifully creamy and the perfect accompaniment to chicken or turkey.

Serves 8

Ingredients
4 oz (110 g) freshly made white breadcrumbs (a two-day-old white loaf with crusts removed will be hard enough to grate, but the best way to make the crumbs is in a liquidiser, if you have one)

1 large onion

15-18 whole cloves or freshly grated nutmeg

1 bay leaf

8 black peppercorns

1 pint (570 ml) breakfast milk

2 oz (50 g) butter

2 tablespoons double cream

salt and freshly milled black pepper

Cut the onion in half and stick the cloves in it – how many you use is a personal matter; I happen to like a pronounced flavour of clove. If you don't like them at all, you can use some freshly grated nutmeg instead. Place the onion – studded with cloves – plus the bay leaf and the peppercorns, in a saucepan together with the milk. Add some salt then bring everything up to boiling point. Take off the heat, cover the pan and leave in a warm place for the milk to infuse for two hours or more.

When you're ready to make the sauce, remove the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns and keep them on one side. Stir the breadcrumbs into the milk and add 1 oz (25 g) of the butter. Leave the saucepan on a very low heat, stirring now and then, until the crumbs have swollen and thickened the sauce – about 15 minutes. Now replace the clove-studded onion, the bay leaf and the peppercorns and again leave the pan in a warm place until the sauce is needed.

Just before serving, remove the onion and spices. Reheat gently then beat in the remaining butter and the cream and taste to check the seasoning. Pour into a warm serving jug.

try this
Dave
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

Soooo Gravy, used to be able to get in Woolies is in fact Bisto - it says so on the back of the pot!! But Greens instant gravy tastes the same. Think they have stopped selling it now cos it's not from Australia - Woolies like to think that everyone only wants aussie made goods!! Can get small packets of Paxo in coles for $5. bought some last week!!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:11 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: Food Parcels

I got the Angel Delight too from the brit shop - $6 how expensive but worth it I guess. 50P at home

I wish I was at home
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Traditional bread sauce is one of the great, classic British sauces, but I think it has suffered from either not being made properly or – worst of all – being made from a mix or packet. The real thing is beautifully creamy and the perfect accompaniment to chicken or turkey.

Serves 8

Ingredients
4 oz (110 g) freshly made white breadcrumbs (a two-day-old white loaf with crusts removed will be hard enough to grate, but the best way to make the crumbs is in a liquidiser, if you have one)

1 large onion

15-18 whole cloves or freshly grated nutmeg

1 bay leaf

8 black peppercorns

1 pint (570 ml) breakfast milk

2 oz (50 g) butter

2 tablespoons double cream

salt and freshly milled black pepper

Cut the onion in half and stick the cloves in it – how many you use is a personal matter; I happen to like a pronounced flavour of clove. If you don't like them at all, you can use some freshly grated nutmeg instead. Place the onion – studded with cloves – plus the bay leaf and the peppercorns, in a saucepan together with the milk. Add some salt then bring everything up to boiling point. Take off the heat, cover the pan and leave in a warm place for the milk to infuse for two hours or more.

When you're ready to make the sauce, remove the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns and keep them on one side. Stir the breadcrumbs into the milk and add 1 oz (25 g) of the butter. Leave the saucepan on a very low heat, stirring now and then, until the crumbs have swollen and thickened the sauce – about 15 minutes. Now replace the clove-studded onion, the bay leaf and the peppercorns and again leave the pan in a warm place until the sauce is needed.

Just before serving, remove the onion and spices. Reheat gently then beat in the remaining butter and the cream and taste to check the seasoning. Pour into a warm serving jug.

try this
Dave
Thanks - will definitely give it a go!!!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MELANIE6
Soooo Gravy, used to be able to get in Woolies is in fact Bisto - it says so on the back of the pot!! But Greens instant gravy tastes the same. Think they have stopped selling it now cos it's not from Australia - Woolies like to think that everyone only wants aussie made goods!! Can get small packets of Paxo in coles for $5. bought some last week!!
If you must buy instant gravy use Greens. It's probably the best of a bad job. Our Coles and Woolies sell it. The crap woolies doesn't but then no one shops there anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.