Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Food and the differences

Food and the differences

Old Oct 9th 2004, 8:13 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default Food and the differences

A while ago i stated that nothing could compare to the great british bacon sarnie!! The aussie equivalent being totally inadequate(in my opinion)
However, having come home from a FANTASTIC holiday i have to say that i have found a few foodstuffs lacking!!!!! to name-------
Bacon - being the obvious one
The McChicken sandwich - is it me or is aussie mayonnaise not as tangy as english mayo? Kinda put me off 'em
Cheese - not a great supply really of the milder varieties

On the plus side
Kraft DIY macaroni cheese is MUCH better than canned heinz macaroni cheese!!
Pie Floaters in Victoria - YUM Bloody- YUM
Shrimps - never touched 'em in blighty - always will in Australia!!!

What d'ya reckon?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 4:46 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food and the differences

Originally Posted by brisbec
A while ago i stated that nothing could compare to the great british bacon sarnie!! The aussie equivalent being totally inadequate(in my opinion)
However, having come home from a FANTASTIC holiday i have to say that i have found a few foodstuffs lacking!!!!! to name-------
The McChicken sandwich - is it me or is aussie mayonnaise not as tangy as english mayo? Kinda put me off 'em

On the plus side

What d'ya reckon?
Hey Brisbec,

i think the main difference for me is Tea. Australian Tea is soosooooo weak. When we come over we are stashing some in the container. I agree with the cheese thing, English cheese is so much stronger and nicer and i am an Aussie.

I miss Australian sweets and chockie and BBQ shapes, annotts biscuits.....there are a few things. I know that when i come home for visits i have to bring the good old Bisto with me too.

We arrive in melb on the 18th nov.....suitcases loaded with tea!!!!

Kate
Old Oct 10th 2004, 5:27 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side

What d'ya reckon?
Please to explain, a pie floater!!??
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Please explain the bisto thing??? You can get it in Oz. You can also get Arnotts Pizza shapes in Tescos now.

And please explain why people spend their time going on and on and on and on about the inferiority of various food stuffs?

Different country...different products...virtually the same...It's hardly outer mongolia after all. If you don't like different things don't move???

And the tea thing??? Either I have highly underdeveloped tastebuds or English tastebuds are far more sophisticated but...PG Tips are the weakest tea bag I have ever used...tetleys is fantatstic and surprise...surprise...Tetleys is available in Oz!!!

Oh and the bacon thing... I hate English bacon because it has so much salt in it. I always feel the need to soak it before my arteries seize up. I prefer the actual taste of bacon to salt. But there ya go. Different. I don't moan, whinge or otherwise go on and on about it. I just choose not to eat it.

Quite simple really!

OK Rant Over!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Oooops sorry...and the pie floater...

A traditional Aussie Meat Pie 'floating' on a bed of mushy peas with a good squirt of tomato sauce (no not ketchup!!!) on top.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:08 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas

A traditional Aussie Meat Pie 'floating' on a bed of mushy peas with a good squirt of tomato sauce (no not ketchup!!!) on top.

Ohhh NOOOOoooo-hubby has the boke again!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ushas

Yuk - suppose I'll have to try it though!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

What d'ya reckon?

Can tell you're a Foody
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:03 pm
wombat42

Do you miss the British Faggot?, a British delicacy
read the link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2698507.stm

Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of an inverted pie floater
Attached Thumbnails Food and the differences-peas.gif