Flys

Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:43 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Flys

I know this is trivial, but is there anything at all, you can spray on yourself to stop flys swarming all over you, or is it a seasonal thing, and they will have vanished in a few weeks.............they are starting to get on my nerves. Every time we leave the house, we encounter a gang of flys, wherever we go.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Flys

Have you tried RID?

Available at most supermarkets and chemists.

Regards
Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
I know this is trivial, but is there anything at all, you can spray on yourself to stop flys swarming all over you, or is it a seasonal thing, and they will have vanished in a few weeks.............they are starting to get on my nerves. Every time we leave the house, we encounter a gang of flys, wherever we go.
Let me guess ! PERTH. Very bad for it, goes on for a few months yet.

Plenty of sprays in supermarkets, but consider seriously spraying yourself with incecticide daily, most aussies just accept the flies just part of summer really.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, the bushflies have arrived from the interior and will stay for many months.

Learn more here:

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html/#bushflies
Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:22 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Which one has a fly problem?

Hat fly net?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That's right, the bushflies have arrived from the interior and will stay for many months.

Learn more here:

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html/#bushflies

Now thats more like it! Real info about the real australia.

I loved the bit in the middle, set up like a horoscope! Pick your city and see what the furture fly wise holds for you
Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:53 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Let me guess ! PERTH. Very bad for it, goes on for a few months yet.

Plenty of sprays in supermarkets, but consider seriously spraying yourself with incecticide daily, most aussies just accept the flies just part of summer really.
Yes we are just North of Perth. I will give the spray a go, and see how it goes.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, wierd you lot in north Perth have 'em.
I haven't noticed any... yet!
Probably heading down then!
Live central, work south!

Hot though Arghhh, I'm so going to die in summer!
Car has airco, but doesn't seem to work.
Bought one of those silver screen things for the front window yesterday at kmart, 11 dollars. Hope that helps for when it's parked.
Windows are tinted, but not much.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
For a natural alternative to chemical repellants, try using Citronella, Tea Tree and Lavender oils diluted in a carrier oil. You can then rub this directly onto your skin. Keeps the bugs at bay and works as a moisturiser without the side effects of rubbing chemicals (often containing DEET) into your skin, to be absorbed into your bloodstream!
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:28 am
scoobydoo

Aren't we meant to wear those hats with corks hanging off them?

Old Oct 19th 2004, 11:20 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Aren't we meant to wear those hats with corks hanging off them?

I think there must be more flies in Aus than everything else put together. I remember doing garden nursery work in the Dandenongs outside Melb'n and the little b***ards drove me absolutely spare!

I could only live in a part of Aus that doesn't have this prob as I can say hand on heart that it was the single most annoying thing about Aus. Mind you. perhaps I wouldn't have noticed so much if I'd been working indoors.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

If you live in SE Melbourne, I wouldn't recommend a visit to the ocean beach side of Portsea or Sorrento, because there's hundreds of the little b****strds. There's something about the dry/salt resistant wiry shrubs you get in these wild places that flies seem to love. Will definitely try the RID/Citronella/Tea Tree/Lavender though and see what works best.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 11:58 pm
Karma earned, not whored

Originally Posted by kath n kim
For a natural alternative to chemical repellants, try using Citronella, Tea Tree and Lavender oils diluted in a carrier oil. You can then rub this directly onto your skin. Keeps the bugs at bay and works as a moisturiser without the side effects of rubbing chemicals (often containing DEET) into your skin, to be absorbed into your bloodstream!
OK, Sounds like excellent advice, I will give it a try today.

Thanks.

Anybody else have anything to offer, on this most annoying of problems.